“Le Sourire Dans Le Metro” 5 of 5 stars

Metro Hotel and Cafe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   508 Petaluma Boulevard, South, Petaluma, CA 94952   |
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Petaluma
Murrumbateman, Australia
“Le Sourire Dans Le Metro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just back from staying 5 nights here. Restful, clean & very comfortable with a delightful French theme running through. There was even a recent copy of Paris Match in the room. Free parking at the back. Friendly service. Really can't fault this place. A great location just 5 minutes' walk from downtown Petaluma which is itself charming. As I left, I looked one last time at the film poster of Zazie Dans Le Metro by the front door -- the quirky smiling girl says it all.

Room Tip: If solo or a couple, ask for room 247 at the back. Nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Art A, Owner at Metro Hotel and Cafe, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Very glad you enjoyed your stay please come back and stay with us again if you're in the area!

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked Anna's Cottage for 3 days recently. The hotel had a great sale directly through them, and I was very happy to be able to stay here finally after years of almost staying here while in town. The place certainly has personality. It is more like staying in a european hotel than american place. With this you may be happy that the beds are great and clean and linens are lovely. The grounds are pretty, breakfast and coffee included (don't expect anything more than a small pastry or muffin and coffee though). And it is very close to the downtown area, which is basically the only area you would want to stay when visiting Petaluma.

I will warn travelers who expect perfection, or aren't into quirky. This place would not be for you! When I first checked in, I would have given the place 2 stars, based on the fact that the door to my cottage didn't feel secure, the checkin process was weird, the cottage smelled strange and the kitchen was fairly useless. But, I admit that after staying for a day or so, I did come to think of the place like a family member - who you love, even with some faults.

In Anna's Cottage there are two floors. On the top floor there is a round bed in one bedroom (ha!) and three twins in another. I was worried that the round bed would be from the 70's, but it was quite clean and comfortable. There was a huge clawfoot tub that was clean and lovely! The sun shone brightly in the bathroom and roundbed bedroom which made the winter days feel happier.

The downstairs was tired. It is basically just one room with kitchenette and small dining table, couch and lounge chair. The couch was a nice design, but very old and tired looking. Not inviting to relax on at all. The kitchen was an ikea bar with deep sink and strange, produce fridge. No freezer and no oven. When I checked in, the kid told me that I was welcome to use anything in the main area's kitchen. But, when I went looking, it seemed to be just as bare as the kitchenette. It reminded me of my first house, where I got to take all the strange leftover kitchen items from my parent's house that they didn't want anymore. It'd be fine for re-heating take-out, or making some porridge, etc. But, really not practical for a true kitchen. I should also mentioned that on the last day I found the note that said to do my dishes, or be charged $35 (or something around that). Which was fine, I did them already - but no sponge, no kitchen towel, etc was provided to do them!

Cleanliness, I would give 3 stars, except having GREAT clean lines and towels bumped it up to 4
Comfort, I would give it 3 stars, except bed comfort and nice grounds bumps it up to 4
Service, I would give it 3 stars, except I liked the strange personalities working there and the lounge area with self-service drip coffee

Anyway, regardless of the wonkyness of the place... I will return. I don't want to stay on the east-side, and charm and a clean bed and bathtub go a LONG way in my book.

Room Tip: They have regular rooms, cottages and a couple of Airstream trailers you can stay in. The main road...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My best friend and I had a girl's trip for my birthday coming up, and she found this place. I have to tell you...she was nervous. However, from the moment we say the facade, I knew it was perfect! It looked like it hopped right off a French street!
The shabby chic design, the blue HOTEL light outside our room, the clawfoot tub...all perfect! The beds were comfy and we had a great night's sleep too! It was VERY close to everything! We could have walked and kicked ourselves for driving into town.
The place was close to amazing food, entertainment, shopping! Most of all, it set a great mood for relaxation! We have already recommended it to three people and would stay here again in a minute!

Room Tip: You might want to decide if you need a window view, or if you want to be facing the street. We had t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My daughter and I stayed one night at the Metro recently. This was our 3rd stay. Service was excellent. We arrived late - after 10pm and a kind man let us in. Our accommodations were quite nice. Bread and coffee in the morning - bread was delicious!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were in Petaluma on a business. There aren't many choices of hotels in the downtown Petaluma. We choose the Metro Hotel & Cafe due to the location to downtown (within walking distance). We made our reservation over the phone because Metro Hotel had a 50% off if you mention TripAdvisor during the week we were in Petaluma. We reserved a garden room (which means your room is an outside door with a garden) with two queen size beds. When we checked in the room we were shown was a suite with two rooms. We realize that maybe they upgraded us, but we really wanted to stay in the garden room with an outside door. Then they showed us a garden room with one queen bed and said that is was the only other room for us. We decided to stay in the garden room with one queen bed. Somehow our reservation got screwed up. The hotel itself is quaint and it is great to have free parking and wifi. The room was comfortable, but it could have a couple things fixed. The heat was not working, so we used the space heater that was in the room. The toilet seat was broken and the bathroom sink was cracked and rusty. We read the reviews about how this is not a fancy hotel. We are fine with average hotels that are not fancy. We did not have our expectations high. We felt there was a miss connect with the staff and the room could use a little work. The best part was the coffee. We certainly appreciated the wonderful cup of coffee each morning.
We are not sure if the time we are in Petaluma, we would stay at the Metro.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My daughter treated me to a night at the Metro Hotel and it was just a delightful experience. It is very comfortable and French! We happened to stay in a charming room with two beds and a large bathroom, wheelchair accessible. While we didn't require this for our stay, it is nice to know that a small hotel like this would accommodate someone with a disability. We had coffee the next morning in the little cafe. I would love to stay there again.

Very romantic and charming place for couples!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for a two-night stay at Metro Hotel and Cafe w/a bottle of wine and a vineyard tour at Azari Vineyards. Overall, we had a wonderful weekend in wine country.

The Metro is a funky boutique hotel in a great area. It is close to many restaurants and isn't too far from downtown Petaluma. Parking is located behind the hotel and is free. The rooms were cozy and went with the overall theme of the hotel.

The staff were happy to set up our vineyard tour at Azari, which made the entire trip! We had a fabulous time, so if you stay at the Metro take a tour at Azari. We also ate at Sea Modern Thai, adjacent to the hotel, and had an enjoyable dinner.

Next time the Metro is on Groupon, I will definitely buy another!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Metro Hotel and Cafe? Share your experiences!