“A petit French experience~” 5 of 5 stars

Metro Hotel and Cafe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   508 Petaluma Boulevard, South, Petaluma, CA 94952   |
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Petaluma
Chico, California
“A petit French experience~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My best friend and I had a girl's trip for my birthday coming up, and she found this place. I have to tell you...she was nervous. However, from the moment we say the facade, I knew it was perfect! It looked like it hopped right off a French street!
The shabby chic design, the blue HOTEL light outside our room, the clawfoot tub...all perfect! The beds were comfy and we had a great night's sleep too! It was VERY close to everything! We could have walked and kicked ourselves for driving into town.
The place was close to amazing food, entertainment, shopping! Most of all, it set a great mood for relaxation! We have already recommended it to three people and would stay here again in a minute!

Room Tip: You might want to decide if you need a window view, or if you want to be facing the street. We had t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My daughter and I stayed one night at the Metro recently. This was our 3rd stay. Service was excellent. We arrived late - after 10pm and a kind man let us in. Our accommodations were quite nice. Bread and coffee in the morning - bread was delicious!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were in Petaluma on a business. There aren't many choices of hotels in the downtown Petaluma. We choose the Metro Hotel & Cafe due to the location to downtown (within walking distance). We made our reservation over the phone because Metro Hotel had a 50% off if you mention TripAdvisor during the week we were in Petaluma. We reserved a garden room (which means your room is an outside door with a garden) with two queen size beds. When we checked in the room we were shown was a suite with two rooms. We realize that maybe they upgraded us, but we really wanted to stay in the garden room with an outside door. Then they showed us a garden room with one queen bed and said that is was the only other room for us. We decided to stay in the garden room with one queen bed. Somehow our reservation got screwed up. The hotel itself is quaint and it is great to have free parking and wifi. The room was comfortable, but it could have a couple things fixed. The heat was not working, so we used the space heater that was in the room. The toilet seat was broken and the bathroom sink was cracked and rusty. We read the reviews about how this is not a fancy hotel. We are fine with average hotels that are not fancy. We did not have our expectations high. We felt there was a miss connect with the staff and the room could use a little work. The best part was the coffee. We certainly appreciated the wonderful cup of coffee each morning.
We are not sure if the time we are in Petaluma, we would stay at the Metro.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My daughter treated me to a night at the Metro Hotel and it was just a delightful experience. It is very comfortable and French! We happened to stay in a charming room with two beds and a large bathroom, wheelchair accessible. While we didn't require this for our stay, it is nice to know that a small hotel like this would accommodate someone with a disability. We had coffee the next morning in the little cafe. I would love to stay there again.

Very romantic and charming place for couples!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for a two-night stay at Metro Hotel and Cafe w/a bottle of wine and a vineyard tour at Azari Vineyards. Overall, we had a wonderful weekend in wine country.

The Metro is a funky boutique hotel in a great area. It is close to many restaurants and isn't too far from downtown Petaluma. Parking is located behind the hotel and is free. The rooms were cozy and went with the overall theme of the hotel.

The staff were happy to set up our vineyard tour at Azari, which made the entire trip! We had a fabulous time, so if you stay at the Metro take a tour at Azari. We also ate at Sea Modern Thai, adjacent to the hotel, and had an enjoyable dinner.

Next time the Metro is on Groupon, I will definitely buy another!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Metro twice now, and have loved both experiences. The Metro is quaint and quirky, homely and comfortable, and well-appointed. The location is very convenient to the downtown area, and is walkable to a couple great restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Petaluma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel reminded me of a great pensione I stayed at in Bari, Italy. Like a pensione with high standards, the Metro Hotel has a comfy bed, hot shower, spacious bathrooms, and some tasty sweet bread to go with your morning coffee.

When I checked in, Jeff was at the front desk to check me in, show me around the place, and helped me to the room--even though I arrived at 8 pm when he was ready to go home for the night.

You can't beat the location. Five walkable blocks to riverfront and downtown dining and walkways. We stayed three nights, and I never had to use my car.

But if you're used to 24 hour services at a hotel, stay at the Sheraton across town. Otherwise, you'll freak out over the repurposed and reused room chairs and table, small bathtub, and no elevator to 2nd floor.

And I must mention that each room has a plastic goose figurine that's been converted into a nightstand lamp. It's a fine balance of kitschy and functional.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Metro Hotel and Cafe? Share your experiences!