“Decent Location and Exterior, Terrible Service for a Sheraton” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Petaluma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
“Decent Location and Exterior, Terrible Service for a Sheraton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The only reason this hotel is getting 3 stars is because I redeemed my stay with points. If I had to pay anything over $100, it would deserve less stars.

THE GOOD: The location is decent, right off the freeway. The lobby is clean. The room was a decent size, and there is free parking. I stayed on the Starwood Preferred floor, which meant free bottled waters.

THE BAD: First of all, the service, especially, the front desk service, is terrible for a Sheraton. I would have thought that I stayed at Motel 6. I called about a week before my stay to inquire about something. The front desk asked my name, and then informed me that they had cancelled my stay. Imagine the shock to find out that a hotel that I had redeemed months ago with points had been cancelled without prior knowledge. I told them my points were already creditted and I received no notice of the cancellation! After more inquiry, it turns out it was some other reservation under the same last name. You would think the front desk would be trained better to inquiry further and double checking before telling a guest that their room had been canceled a week before the visit.

Second, housekeeping was not very good. The toilet was pretty dirty when I entered. It was pretty obvious it had not been flushed or cleaned. We never got housekeeping service during our 2 night stay. We had the privacy sign until 10:00 a.m. Then, we left our room from 10 to 1. Returned from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and was gone almost the rest of the day. When we returned, our room was not cleaned. Like I said, pretty disappointing for a Sheraton. When I called to see if they could credit us with the green points, they said no. Too bad for you. The privacy sign was up during the 1 and 1/2 hour period housekeeping came by. Wow! First time this happened to me at any hotel.

Third, the bed was very uncomfortable. It hurt my back, and the air conditioning was super loud every time it came on. The one good thing is the noise level from outside was low, but when the a/c turned on, there was no way you could miss that engine starting.

So, all in all, I would not return. Service is terrible, very disppointing that this is a Sheraton brand because it was not representative.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

394 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night only after a long day of wine-tasting and attending family celebration. We arrived late and left early, so we didn't explore much of the hotel other than the lobby and our room. I have driven by this hotel hundreds of times and wondered if it was as nice inside as it was outside. The common area/lobby is very, very nice. Casual nice, but nice.
The room was nice - not upscale by any stretch of the imagination - but nice. Sheraton's ALWAYS have comfy beds and pillows (from my experience), and this was no exception. I slept like a log. We asked for a room that overlooked the marina (beautiful views), but although I am a long Starwood member, no marina view rooms were available. Our room overlooked the heating/cooling apparatus. Oh well...we were not there long anyway. I would've liked to open the windows to get natural air, but they only opened 3 inches. I suspect that is to keep birds out (since there was lots of "evidence" that birds liked to perch on the heating/cooling stuff outside the window). The bathroom was reminiscent of a budget hotel. Clean, but cheap. This is NOT a hotel where you walk around the neighborhood...it's safe, but there is NOTHING to check out.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view of the marina...take it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sherman oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Being a starwood member has its small privileges. I got the following upgrades.

Free large water bottles.
Upgraded room facing the marina.
Free cocktail.
Access to starwood club lounge which has snacks, coffee, internet pc, and soda 24/7. Also continental breakfast in the morning and small bites with wine/beer in the evening.

I paid 10,000 points per night here in August -weekday.

Wi-fi is so simple. AND FAST!

Beautiful walking area outside near the marina.

Beds were perfect.

Rooms impeccable.

great property.

Only one small complaint: Pool was less than clean, but we went in anyways. It was heated!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We loved this hotel! The room was spacious and the staff was extremely friendly. The fitness room is very large and well equipped for hotel. The hotel restaurant was also a pleasant surprise. We will be back!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
David S, General Manager at Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your awesome comments! It's always great to hear when a guest has an enjoyable stay. I will pass your restaurant compliments along to our Chef and service staff.

Thanks again,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

More along the lines of a Four Points. Certainly not worth the points that we pay for it. Should be 4000 points max. Club lounge is a joke. Certainly not walking distance to anything.
Was nice to have a little wine tasting set up in the lobby. Pool most definetly is NOT heated as they tell you.
Nice view of the marina...and the freeway.
Do not pay the big bucks or 10,000 points for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment. Regarding the Club Lounge, we work very hard to insure our Club guests find their experience an enjoyable one; I will discuss your observation with our staff. Regarding the use of Starwood SPG points for your stay, please note the number of points is not determined by the hotel but by Starwood directly. I hope you will consider a return visit so we may make a better impression. Thanks very much for your feedback.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here with my family on a visit to Sonoma. The hotel was a 15 minute drive from the town of Sonoma.

The room was clean with nice sheets and bedding. The facility is smoke free. The hotel offered free, fast Wifi service. The jacuzzi was refreshing.

The breakfast was overpriced. The hotel offers one small free water bottle per room and charges for additional bottles. Each room also has a complimentary coffee machine. The fitness room was adequate. The staff were friendly.

The hotel is not a luxury resort type of place to stay all day. The rooms were a little pricey for what the hotel offered.

Room Tip: Ask for marina view - it's much better than the parking lot view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Extremely courteous staff on front desk and room service. Pool is clean with an easy going atmosphere accepting of kids splashing about. Rooms are spacious, very spacious, clean and quiet. Club floor is Ok, not fantastic, but enough good food to get you through dinner and breakfast if you are on a budget. Overall incredible value for families on the Club floor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our pool area is a fun, casual spot for families, especially in these warm summer months. Thanks so much for your compliments and feedback!

David Scott, General Manager

Been to Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma? Share your experiences!