“Beautiful Site for RV!” 5 of 5 stars

2001 Rossi Rd at Hwy 1, Pescadero, CA 94060   |
Alamo, California
“Beautiful Site for RV!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here at the end of July 2013 in one of the pull through sites. The sites are a bit close to each other, but we had no problem with privacy. The people at the RV sites are all very friendly. The back in sites were further apart, so one might consider lodging there next time. The RV sites all have concrete pads which made the sites very clean. We enjoyed all the different types of flowers used to landscape the RV sites. We were close to the comfort stations, the restrooms are very clean and well kept. The garbage bins were emptied every morning, so we had no garbage issues. There is a sauna next to the comfort station, we did not use them. The store is well stocked with basics like milk and bread, and of course supplies for smores. We used our own fire pit, but purchased their wood, a bit pricey, $10 per bundle, but for convenience, it was worth it. We tried to use the shuttle to go to Santa Cruz, but it was being fixed the day we planned to use it. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. We had no cell phone reception, which was okay, it was our vacation. The kids loved the giant chess set and they were able to bike all around safely. Costanoa is very beautiful, but be prepared for fog. There are skunks, but they did not bother us. In all, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
San Francisco Bay Area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

If you are like me, you tend to breeze over the 3 star reviews as those who are angry, picky-uny or otherwise. Please listen to this review. I am a trusted reviewer on Trip Advisor and a traveler who is fair, yet discerning. I live in the fast paced arena of the Silicon Valley and have been to Costanoa several times, even advocating and scheduling for an off-site with our office. I have returned today for a 2 day visit - a solo retreat this time, knowing and loving the prime, natural location of this facility on a most coveted highway 1 and must say I am in the first 12 hours of arriving very disappointed. What is going on Costanoa? It is not slow, but peak season, and I decided, budget concerns in mind, to book a Cabin King for $179. I am here mid-week, not on a summer weekend and here is what has happened so far: I have already alerted the desk staff about 2 things: a burned out recessed light and garbage, towels that at 6:30 pm were still sitting outside the cabin - this is nature after all - and this kind of thing attracts critters - skunks namely. On my way to dinner I reported the garbage to the desk and probably one of them took care of it apparently. The recessed light is still out. On to the Cascade Bar and Grill. Sat at the bar and wow, here we go. Inexcusably understaffed, asked the bartender about favorites (food, after i asked to remake a drink that was just so wrongly done) and his response was I just started and haven't tasted the menu. Are you kidding me? At these prices? THe service was interminably, and I mean that, SLOW SLOW SLOW. There is simply no excuse for this in such a prime location at the height of summer. I waited to order dessert but just gave up. I came seconds within walking out before the bill came. I had to ask for it, in good conscience. The only thing I can suggest is that Costanoa has sold its soul to all of the high tech companies in the area, weddings, events to make its budget and has no interest in the people who keep them in business in low season. That's people like me and you who might be reading this review. And yes, we do show up in high season as well. The most redeeming qualities so far: guests who volunteer to create fires in the " comfort stations" after I heard a staff person lamely state that no, they probably would not be lit really....and the FOOD, after patiently waiting for it, was really quite good in the restaurant. I will report more on other meals at the completion of my visit. I do hope someone is reading this who has influence and investment at Costanoa, because this is an industry that is competitive in this area. I will NOT recommend you unless you give me a reason to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
San Carlos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The California Coast has many beautiful places to stay and Costanoa is among the nicest. Whether you want to stay in The Lodge, bring your RV/Trailer, stay in a tent cabin, or bring your own tent for camping, there are accommodations to meet your needs. There are numerous trails for hiking along the coastal foothills, or on the bluffs along the beach, or on the beach and among the tide pools, Costanoa offers it all. If you choose to not do your own cooking, they have a lovely restaurant that is open all day. Finally, their general store has a variety of products for campers and some well-made clothing if you didn't come prepared for the cool coastal evenings.

Room Tip: In The Lodge, there are no bad rooms. We prefer the 2nd floor, but we've stayed in different par...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had some trepidation, due to some negative reviews, but I did set my expectations that staying in one of Pine Village tents was going to be camping, not a resort hotel, and was pleasantly surprised. No issues with customer service (as some had noted), the heated pads on the beds served admirably, and we totally lucked out on the weather. The property is lovely, the 'comfort stations' are pleasantly warm, thanks to those heated floors, and our tent was quite close for the inevitable (for me) flashlight lit midnight trip. Bring your own log/wood if you have a fire pit, or buy it there at a bit of a premium.

Yes, it's kind of expensive, but that's really par for the course up and down the coast. We had one meal (breakfast) in the Cascade Restautant, and it was quite good. We did day trips to Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay Aquarium, and walked to the beach twice. The beach was lovely, and deserted both time; my son and I had it all to ourselves both times, although we did see another couple of folks on the trails. One of our walks, we did a much longer loop, and explored the tide pools on our way back. And, yes, we even played a clueless of games of oversize chess.

Room Tip: If you want to near a comfort station, be sure to ask. Do be aware that it will be a bit noisier. An...
Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Luxury camping!

I myself do not like to "rough" it too much, so this place was perfect! We went for a friend's birthday and were a group of nine. Since everyone had different price points and their own ideas of how they would like to camp Costanoa gave us options. One couple pitched a tent, another stayed in the already set up tents (the canvas looking ones) with a queen bed, the other four stayed in the small log cabin area, and we stayed in the lodge. We really got to experience all the different choices at the location.

Since we stayed in the lodge, I am only able to really speak on that category of accommodations. We had a king bed room with the larger balcony. It was a normal sized room with a full bath, mini fridge, and fireplace. They give you one Duraflame log for every night you stay. You can tell the room is starting to age, for the most part the room felt clean but the floor was a little dingy especially in front of the fireplace. We can't expect it to extremely clean because we are "camping" and everyone there does outdoor activities during the day.

The grounds were nice. They have a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There is also a bbq tent that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner but of course the menu is limited. Both places serve alcohol. On the property they also have a general store and a spa. There are quite a few fire pits scattered around the property, so I suggest looking out for the one nearest you when you arrive.

The location of Costanoa is great because you have the option to walk/hike down to the beach or drive a few miles to reach other state parks like Butano State Park.

They do have a 10 pm quiet time but as long as you stay quiet and do not disturb anyone you can stay around the fire for as long as you want. We did see skunks around the property at night, as well as possums!

I would definitely come back here again.

Restrooms: They have clean restrooms scattered throughout the property. Tent sites, the already set up canvas tents, and RVers use the communal bathrooms. These bathrooms are separated for men and women. They have showers, a sauna, and a washer and dryer at each location. The log cabins have a sink and toilet. The lodge rooms have full bathrooms.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tracy, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our second time staying here. First time was in our RV and this last weekend we decided to rent a Outer Pine Tent Cabin. Although the location is awesome the tent cabin lacks a lot. Over priced for what you get. Tent cabins are cold and none of the window coverings worked, all were broken. Mismatched old outdated night stands and lamps. One very thin comforter, which wasn't enough to keep us warm. No alarm clock as advertised, only Inner Pine area allows fire pits, and they have picnic tables, but in Outer Pine you get neither. Nobody bothered to tell us that you could not use too much electricity in the cabin or you would blow your circuit and have no power all night long, which makes for a very cold night. And all the front office could do was offer us another blanket. Bed was almost as hard as sleeping on the ground, my hips and back is still killing me. Don't get me wrong, the cabins are very cute but they are in bad shape and need a lot of work. Not as nice as the picture on their website.

Outdoor showers were disgusting. Very dirty, no place to put your soap or shampoo and very chilly. On a good note, the Pine Tent bar and restaurant was good and we really enjoyed the bartender Kim. Also we enjoyed the fireplace at the comfort station. Not sure if I would consider staying in the tent cabins again, for $273.00 for 2 nights I can think of nicer places for that price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place is very over-priced in my opinion. It is an upscale camp side with nice updated bathrooms, but really, too pricey. We stayed 5 days with our RV. The location is strange - it was always overcast and cold there, but within 15 min of driving (in Santa Cruz) it was always sunny and a lot warmer. We did not enjoy the stay there because even in July - every day it was much cooler there than we expected. Not very pleasant experience due to a micro climate of that location...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp? Share your experiences!