“Beautiful location, lodge is a little rustic” 4 of 5 stars

You added Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp to your Saves list
Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp
2001 Rossi Rd at Hwy 1, Pescadero, CA 94060   |
Aptos, California
“Beautiful location, lodge is a little rustic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The location of Costanoa is spectacular. Right along the northern California coast with windswept beaches, a colony of elephant seals, beautiful wildlife right outside your door. The restaurant is great, the "camp" store is stocked full of great food and fun gifts, and the meeting facilities are good for a group of 20-30. The lodge was a bit of a surprise, though. The lobby is warm and inviting with wood beams, fireplace, etc. and the staff are super-friendly. The rooms are really stark, though! Poured concrete vanity in the bathroom with very little room for your toiletries, minimal decor, industrial-looking bedside table/shelves. And, the bed was pretty hard. I couldn't help chuckling to myself about whether camping with my extra egg-crate foam pad might not be softer.... OK one other nit. There is almost no cell service and a super-sketchy wifi that barely worked, and few outlets in the room for all my gadgets. I know I'm supposed to be getting away from it all, but I was at Costanoa on a business retreat and it was pretty unacceptable that none of us could contact our offices. That being said, the rooms are clean, there's a hot tub right outside the door, and you wake up to gorgeous views of the rolling hills down to the ocean. I would come here again if I wanted to get away to a beautiful patch of coastline, away from all the distractions of modern life. But I wouldn't do a business event here, again, and I might bring my egg crate!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Rockford, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Costanoa offers a variety of accommodations, We stayed at the lodge. The room was nice and quiet. The view of the surrounding hills was great. Costanoa seems to blend in to its surroundings, rather than make a statement. The beach is across the road and unspoiled. Not a place for the "wired" person. No TV, and cell phone coverage is very limited to non-existent. We found that to be quite refreshing.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just a short hour drive from either San Jose or SFO, this was an awesome weekend getaway! Walked 2 miles on the beach and didn't see a soul :) Tent camped the first night, and while the tent area isn't the best location at the camp, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the 'comfort stations' were the nicest I've ever seen at a campground (showers- clean- dry saunas, laundry and communal fire pit/ chill out areas). Second night we upgraded to the lodge, and the rooms were gorgeous, incredible views, fireplace, nice. Hiked all day on trails that leave direct from the camp, and tons of other activities. Restaurant had a great breakfast, and the catered meals that were served at the wedding we attended were excellent.
Last thing- DON'T skip the spa! We splurged and got massages before we left, and while a little more expensive than I usually prefer, the therapist (Mary I think) was INCREDIBLE. Worth every penny!

Room Tip: More privacy on the upper floor north rooms- nice balcony, private views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

About one hour north of Santa Cruz in lovely wooded environs near the beach. We enjoyed some fantastic hiking around the site including one to the beach where we were the only people there. We stayed in Cypress tent bungalows, Q beds, wooden floors, chair(s), sufficient room for cooler and bags. VERY heavy blankets so warmth is no problem, though one night our electric blankets worked and the next night (not as cold out) they did not -- we had two tents and both experienced this same quirk -- don't know how this could be. Costanoa provides towels, soaps, and big towels and bathrobes for hot tub. Nicely heated communal bathrooms, well-stocked with paper goods, commodes maintained but showers and sinks were not. Communal fires @ 'comfort stations' each night were great. Huge confusion about who provided the firewood (they do but you can bring your own to add to their pile but why do this?) which took three phone calls ahead of time to clarify - this is not in their literature. We four ate three or four meals at their cafe, and would rate the food OK to good - just seems to depend on the dish. Some wait staff were great and some were hopelessly uninformed about basics, e.g., what fish were in the fish tacos. Similar to comments by others, we had a very rude surprise the second night when we tried to eat there at 8 o'clock and were informed they closed the kitchen early without any warning; we'd learned the prior night we had to be there not later than 8:30 so we were diligent. We had to race into Pescadero to find someplace, then scour their menu to find items they were still serving. Again, more poor communication. Also, back to the tent bungalows: it rained heavily both nights we were there. Both of the places we had were great in terms of keeping out the rain. They were clean and dry on the inside. However, both had quite a bit of mold and mildew on the outside, clearly long past when they were due for some maintenance. Also the second night, we did encounter noise problems with a group of four guys who had been partying and were housed next to us; the sound carried clearly and we had to 'shush' them several times. Some of the problems we encountered could be avoided by staying in the lodge or coming at a different time of year, but some are inherent in a place that clearly has communication problems with its clientele.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manteca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Just off of Hwy 1, about 10 miles south of Pescadero, Costanoa is set in a beautiful location. I stayed for a long weekend for a friend's wedding in a cabin with my friend. The staff did a great job with the wedding from my point of view, but I'll let the bride and groom write about that.

Checked in at the lodge reception on Friday evening. The staff was gracious and checkin was very easy. Of note, we got an actual key to the cabin, instead of a key card. People did tend to lose the key fairly easily over the next few days. The cabin was very comfortable, with two twin beds, a fireplace, a minifridge, and coffeemaker. Toiletries smelled wonderful, from EO. There is no ensuite bathroom in the cabins, so we walked over to the comfort station, maybe about 50 meters away. There are three showers (one handicap accesible), three toilets (ditto), and great smelling almond soap. Towels were exceptionally soft -- and I'm a towel snob. The valley/mountain view from the cabin was great, and you had a shared deck with your neighbor (two rooms per cabin), complete with porch swing x 2. You also get a Cleanflame log each day, so we burned this at night.

In the morning, the desk gave me a nice map of the surrounding trails. You can do a 3 mile or 8 mile hike/run. I opted for a walk on the beach. Be careful how you decide to get to the beach -- go to the southern entrance, and you will have to hike across a stream to get to the more northerly beach walk. Flip flops were probably not the best choice, real shoes would have done better. Got to see some seals off shore, not surprisingly as Año Nuevo State Park is next door.

There's also a general store with drinks, snacks, and means for self-catering. The Cascade restaurant was decent for lunch. I tried the clam chowder and arugula salad and was satisfied. Went to Duarte's Tavern for dinner in Pescadero, which was better, and the olalieberry pie was a nice new experience there. Didn't try the hot tub by the lodge, but it was very popular with everyone else.

Overall, great scenery and relaxing stay for a very reasonable price. Would come here again!

Room Tip: Cabins have great views of the valley and are very quiet. No ensuite bathroom though.
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The quick version of this review is that Costanoa provided my wife and me with our dream wedding. Three catered meals (rehearsal dinner, reception dinner, and goodbye brunch) were consistently outstanding, the best series of meals I’ve ever had at a wedding. The staff was unfailingly polite; they bent over backwards, went above and beyond, and took the initiative to provide whatever we needed, sometimes without us even asking. The weather was perfect, the rooms and event space comfortable without being oppressively luxurious, the area around the venue and the Costanoa coordinated events themselves were great. In short, I cannot say enough about how very pleased I am to have had my wedding there. I give Costanoa the highest possible recommendation as would virtually all of the guests at my wedding. I give particular props to Teri Giordano (event coordinator) and Lisa (catering director)…they worked with us through countless changes and rearrangements and did so with grace and patience. The Costanoa chef (can’t remember his name) also gets a shout out for making such delicious food in such large quantities.

We’ve also stayed at Costanoa for simple visits in preparation for the wedding. We've been in Cypress tents, the cabins, and lodge rooms and we have had a great time in all of them. I also highly recommend Costanoa for simple get aways and vacations.

Here is the long version:

Costanoa was actually the first venue we checked out. I was convinced immediately and none of the dozen or so places we went after really could compete. The lodge rooms are rustic without being Spartan and some feature luxuries such as a Jacuzzi type tub. The cabins are also nice, isolated little retreats with stunning views and fireplaces. Not all of these have private baths but the nearby comfort station has a firepit and a sauna as well as indoor showers. The tent cabins are small but include heated mattresses and electricity. And for those that can’t be apart from the outside world, there is also reasonably effective wi fi service. The hills near Pescadero are lovely for hiking; the venue is also near a beautiful beach. The remoteness of Costanoa gives one the feeling of really being away in nature; fortunately, they have a very good restaurant and a well stocked general store. Finally, there is a spa. In other words, at Costanoa one can have the experience of being in nature without necessarily leaving the creature comforts of civilization. The caveat is that not every cabin has a bathroom but I have to think that the majority of weddings are going to have at least a few attendees who won’t mind that, and the comfort stations are quite luxurious (indoor showers, sauna, firepit).

The amenties are clearly important. But what made this venue ideal for us is that we could have an entire space for our friends and family to come together over the weekend of our marriage. It’s hard to create a space like this when planning weddings but it was important that this weekend be not just about us but rather than community of our friends/family. The layout of the lodges and cabins creates a sort of natural center place where people will inevitably run into each other as they start their morning routines. We weren’t going to have people shuttling between venues and hotels. We weren’t going to have long hallways with people isolated in rooms like cubicles. People had the full weekend to reconnect, to meet new friends…in other words it was a community of the people close to us that we created in this magical space for a weekend. And that is exactly what happened. Even while we were making plans and taking care of the various and sundry details we had plenty of time to greet our friends and family as they arrived, and they had plenty of time to connect and make plans for things to do outside the wedding itself. And I was pleased that as each group checked in they told me how moved they were by the natural beauty of the space.

I also like that Costanoa is not just a wedding factory. I’ve been to fine events at places that crank through multiple weddings in a weekend and that’s okay but it wasn’t what appealed to us. Costanoa’s space limits the number of weddings that can be done to just one a weekend. I get a sense they wouldn’t want to do more than that in a weekend anyway. And I think that’s important. My wife and I were THE wedding for the weekend so we didn’t have other wedding parties and crowds about. Not that we wanted it to be all about us (see above paragraph) but it was nice that everyone in attendance was part of OUR wedding party so guests could safely assume that almost anyone they met was part of the group.

I want to make specific comments about the food. My expectations are generally pretty low when it comes to mass produced wedding food. It’s hard to make huge quantities of food, when cooked in an assembly line fashion, taste good. But every meal (and appetizer) option was great. For the rehearsal dinner we had the “south of the border” option with delicious chicken tamales, poached fish, and standard Mexican trimmings. A great casual meal. For the reception we opted for a buffet and went with the chicken marsala and salmon as main course options. I would be remiss not to compliment the tasty beet salad since that was another favorite of mine. The chicken was delicious, perfectly prepared with a special sweet but not oppressive Marsala sauce. but Costanoa really amazed me by making sure that the salmon was juicy and delicious, perfectly seasoned. I don’t think I’ve had better fish at a banquet style event, that’s not an easy thing to make well in large quantities.

Room Tip: No bad rooms in the place but if you can do without a bathroom I recommend the Douglas Fir cabins, t...
Portland, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed in the KOA campground for three weeks. The ocean is just over the rise, but visible from the campground and the Lodge. You can hear the surf if you sleep with your windows open. The food at Cascade Bar and Grill was phenomenal! The service is top notch at this property. This is a great place to get away from it all, including cell phone service (ATT and Verizon is better covered than Sprint all are limited). I will be back here soon!

Room Tip: It's worth the extra expense to request a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp? Share your experiences!