“Love the steam locomotives!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 6 Attractions in Perris
Type: Other, Museums
Riverside, California
“Love the steam locomotives!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Grizzly Flats barn has two steam locomotives that used to be in Ward Kimball's BACKYARD! He was a Disney animator and one of Walt Disney's "Nine Old Men" (trusted friends and advisors) and one of the reasons Walt put steam trains around Disneyland. I noticed some of the other reviews complained about some of the barns being closed without a docent being there to show visitors around. I found out there has been a lot of theft and vandalism to these priceless pieces of history. It is a shame that times have changed so much- the equipment here was built in a simpler time when "If its not yours, don't mess with it" was an unwritten rule of society. Now a lot of people seem to go by the rule of "If I want it, I will take it" or tag it or break it or...
I was there on the third weekend of the month and they had a 1922 steam locomotive, the Ventura County #2 running and pulling a train into town a ways and back. So if you go, try and do it on the third weekend to see a real steam train.

Visited April 2013

Murrieta,ca
“Better than Disneyland.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This the best keep secret in the inland empire.It shouldn't be a secret . The best place for grandfathers to do their thing and enjoy it. Thomas the train is a home run and the museum value is priceless. I celebrated my 60th birthday there and would have it no other way. The family liked it also..

Visited November 2012
Winona, Mississippi
3 attraction reviews
“Great place, but plan to WALK! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had the opportunity to visit the OERM, and what a blast. Docent was very knowledgable and helpful. Lots to see, and plenty for children to participate in as well. Make sure to see the grizzly flats section, you will not want to miss it. Barns are only OPEN with the docent. So check in, and have a docent guide you. If you do, you will have access to all barns.

Visited February 2013
Vista, California
27 attraction reviews
“Be sure to visit on a weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visited on a weekend. We had a docent led tour of the barns; this made the visit that much more worthwhile. Bought the tickets for the train and street cars, they were expensive; but when considering the extent of restoration and ongoing/routine maintenance of equipment and facilities, believe the price to be reasonable. We had such a pleasant visit, that we upgraded our tickets to an annual membership and look forward to our next "weekend" visit. There are a wide variety trains and street cars to walk through. I even got to get into the driver seat of a diesel locomotive (not running of course)....but this was a first for me!

One other thing worth noting: this museum operates predominately on volunteer effort which explains why there's not much going on during the week, particularly given that there are over 100 acres, numerous barns and facilities...so be sure to try and visit on a weekend!

Visited February 2013
Nevada City, California
7 attraction reviews
“Would have been better if barns were open”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A lot of the barns were closed when we visited. So, while we heard about a lot of the neat engines and relics they have, we didn't get to see them. Entry to the museum is free, but there wasn't a lot of things to see. There was a little garden area where you can make the different signals light up and make noise, which was neat.

Train rides are $12 for adults, but you can ride multiple times, if you want. They had two trains running the day we went (one diesel and one electric trolley). Both rides were pretty short. I thought the trolley one was the more interesting.

My biggest complain was they said train rides start at 11:00, but they didn't actually get everything ready until around 12:30. So we spent a lot of time just waiting, especially since almost everything was closed up and we couldn't see it. I heard the volunteers saying they had trouble with stuff on the tracks, so that might have explained it.

Its tough to pick a rating for this. Our visit I'd rank as pretty average, but I think it would be excellent, if you managed to go on a weekend, where it was in full swing. So I'll split the difference and go with pretty good. If you are a train buff, however, I think this would be a must see.

Visited January 2013