“Amazing if you can afford it” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach, CA 93953   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Pebble Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bridgewater MA
“Amazing if you can afford it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I tagged along on a friend's business trip otherwise this place is well beyond my budget. It was amazing. The staff was kind, the spa extremely pricey but if you are splurging anyhow then I think you should plan on a visit to the spa. The SPA was beyond amazing. Negatives for what you are paying (which I wasn't) 4:00 p.m. check in is unreasonable. Also maybe because it is a golf resort then it is geared to that but I would have liked to know that there was a gym. Okay maybe I wouldn't have gone but I would have liked to know it existed. Tip: for those of us that don't have massive amounts of cash the Pebble Beach Market is a great alternative for sandwiches and deli fare. I did shop at the lodge as well every staff member was amazingly polite and friendly.

Room Tip: We had an amazing room with a fireplace and an outdoor jacuzzi. The bathroom was the nicest bathroo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I give it zero star if I could!!!!! Came here for a mini vacation with my husband on a 3 days weekend... Unfortunately, the only memorable experience is disappointment after disappointment! We got to the hotel at 10am on Sat... The staff at the front desk told us the room was not ready yet which was fine b/c my husband had a tee time at 11:45am... We had our luggage checked in and we were told to go check in at the front desk after our round of golf. At 5:00pm we checked in and got our key and the bellman took us to our room but the minute we opened the door we saw instead of a king size bed which we have requested, we were given a 2 queen size bed room. The bellman immediately apologized and called the front desk to find out what happened. Then we were told they will switch us to a king size bed the next day and all we had to do was to call the front desk to take care of our begs and move us to the new room. Sunday morning we called the front desk to ask the status of our room switching situation after my husband returned from golf. First the staff told us there was no room available then after getting organized he told us the manager had reserved a room with light size bed for us... So we were told to leave our bags with the bellman and just check back in when we return from our outing. When my husband went to get the key to the new room at 3:40pm.. He was told by the front desk staffs that the room is not ready and no check in before 4:00! I have never been to any hotels that is this disorganized! We pay $800+/night and instead of memorable stay experience.. We got upsetting and disappointment experience! When I went and complain.. They said king size bed is not guarantee.. If it's not.. Why did your stupid staffs at the reservation department guarantee guests during the reservation?! Then knowing the fact that you guys already messed up and that you will need to switch our room why there was no rush order for the house keeping to clean up the room so it would be ready when we returned?! Check out time is 12:00pm.. So it took 4 hrs for house keeping to clean?! Everything was excuses after excuses and seriously bull crap! I have stayed at many high end hotels.. This is the first time to have such horrible experience!!!! I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE OR RETURN EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We usually stay at low to mid-priced hotels. But for once in our life we went top shelf. And WOW ! Mystical....magical.....I was continually amazed that I was even there...walking the hallowed grounds. Service was great ! No need to tip. Resort is much smaller than I imagined. A must take is the bagpiper at sundown at Spyglass...around the fire pits. We played one round at Pebble. Better than I imagined. Walk and take a caddy. Our caddy, Pat, was great ! Helped my son's game, pointed our the local history and residents. We had a great weather day. Lots of photos taken and we still finished in 4:30. The room was awesome ! Look out my front door on the 1st tee. Look out my slider onto the Pacific. Yes, its pricey. But take out the home equity loan and treat yourself !

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Best vacation I've had in years. There were 12 of us, and tons to do, so it takes a day or two to negotiate around and find out what's what. On a short trip, it's good to know some things early.

#1. There's a market place about a pitching wedge away from the tap room. Just up the street. It sells great food for those on the run [Like sleeping late on an early tee off]. Boiled eggs $1.00 a piece, great quiche, meatloaf, lasagne, chicken wings and cold jumbo prawns were a number of items I tried. All good and the pricing was decent. They have wine and spirits also.

#2. I'd recommend the lower lounge for watching the 18th hole outdoors. This is again in the main dining area, below Taps. We ate once at Taps which was very good, but choose to go to Carmel for our other dinners.

#3. There's a ton of outside staff ensuring that golf clubs get to the right place at the right time. Shuttles to the other courses leave every 30 minutes. Spyglass is about 5 minutes away, Spanish Bay is longer, about 15 minutes.

#4. The rooms. It's basically a series of 3 storey small apartment buildings. Each room has a private outdoor entrance, a small patio and a fireplace. The living area of the room we had, had plenty of room for a few people to sit and socialize and it was extremely quiet at night.

We are planning on making this an annual event, with no thought of changing where we stay. Overall I found this to be a pretty good value considering the location and the golf they offer.

Room Tip: If you can manage it, try to get a room overlooking the 18th fairway and ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Westford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I have been lucky to be here twice in one year.

Wonderful rooms, food, service. I will be back. Had a garden level room, wonderful fireplace and room was otherwise great. No need for the ocean view room at the extra rate unless you plan on being in the room.

Some reviews say it could be updated. I agree somewhat but everything is clean and bright and service is great. I didn't feel like the room was old at all. I love this place.

• Stayed May 2013
Megeve, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

For a resort that exists primarily for golf, this wasn't bad. However, this was definitely not up to the par for a hotel, claiming to be five-star, but just enough to still enjoy yourself.

The rooms may have been very good when they were new. But right now, unfortunately, the view is rather bad. Everything from rugs to cupboards has seen better days. No attempts at restoration, nothing to ease the pain of a good resort, that's kept from becoming great by the lack of renovation.

The staff here is extremely friendly and helpful, trying to provide the best service possible. Everyone, starting with the reception and ending with the drivers do their best.

The location is fabulous. The ocean is beautiful, as well as the golf course surrounding the property.

The pricing policy here is something strange. The room rates are somewhat adequate, but as soon as one gets into smaller details, you can be both astonished and embarrassed. A round of golf at the resort, costs around 500 USD a person. If they have about 200 people everyday, I'm sure they would have been able to fund the reconstruction of the hotel...

The service is a bit arrogant, but good. The front desk is a bit slow.

However, all of these casualties are compensated for by the amazing scenery and the wonderful air of the Pebble Beach area.

Room Tip: Try getting into rooms closer to 104, the ocean view will be the best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NY,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife booked my 40th bday at the lodge at pebble w an ocean studio room 1 yr in advance. She also booked golf and restaurant reservations and it was awesome. If you are a golfer it's paradise. I played spyglass and pebble twice and walked with a caddie all 3 days.

Everything was amazing and they met every request we made happen. From letting me order from the tap room menu for a Kobe steak at Stillwater grove while my wife ordered from that menu to opening up 2 wines at Bench and having them decanted and ready for dinner at another restaurant.

Everyone that works there will try to help any way they can but you do feel the snootiness and everything is pricey. Our wine alone was 400-500 for 2 bottles every night but I also saw bottles for 30-60 each that were decent. Especially for Chardonnays where rombauer and cake bread were only marked up double.

For a guy it was awesome as our view was looking at 18th and the ocean which was cool. Golf was awesome and I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The Lodge at Pebble Beach? Share your experiences!