“A Must for Golfers” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Northern California
“A Must for Golfers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

A friend of ours treated us to a couple of nights in an oceanview room with a balcony that opened up to Roys and the fire pit area. I am hardly an accomplished golfer, but I do enjoy playing golf on occasion. I have not sprung for Pebble but I have played Spyglass and Spanish Bay a couple of times. This property is very golf centric so if that is not your cup of tea then you can probably find better properties with better resort type facilities for a more reasonable price. Room is quitely elegant done in soft tones with a fireplace. I don't know if all of the rooms are as nice as the one that we were in, but if they are then it compares favorably with any resort that we have been to. Service was OK but not overwhelming. Maybe a little to do with California attitude which sometimes can seem indiferent(I live in California so I am used to it). Great tennis facility. My wife had to board a shuttle to the PB LODGE to get spa treatment. For $180, my wife was not satisfied with the massage(La Costa & Golden Door Spa are her measuring sticks). I played Spanish Bay and really enjoyed it. Roys on site is great food without the formal atmosphere-that's a good thing. Since we take quite a few vacations to golf and beach resort desinations, these resorts start feeling the same to us. The difference here is the access to truly world class golf/once in a lifetime type golf. I would have to say that without that this place would just be OK. But I don't know if it was because of the resort or inspite of it, my wife and I had a great time here. You can walk to the beach on private paths with is also great.

Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

The staff need to learn from the Four Seasons school of memorizing hotel guests names, requests, special services. Just a bunch of young children running around in suits and a total lack of caring. Turned around for 5 minutes and some staffer had denied seeing my purchase from another store in Carmel that day. Infuriating. He was the only one in the store besides myself and my friend.

Golf course, and views are beautiful, but there are other places to stay in the world that will service your expectations for a supposedly 5 star property.

Truly disappointed in the lack of professionalism. Who is NOT doing the training of staff here? Well, have spread the word to friends and will be happy to spend time elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Indianapoils,Indiana,USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

(see pictures)Stayed at spanishbay inn May 1 2006 to May 5, 2006, Love Spanish bay inn... I've stayed at several 5 star resorts, and the service at this resort surpassed all. Staff were very nice and helpful, always smiling and opening doors, with a pleasant greeting. There's no tipping at the resort, baggage/parking, I tried, but all the staff politely refused(a $20.0 a day charge is added for this)(approx room w tax $820.00night). The rooms are really nice and big 800+ square feet, 2 king beds, fire place comp(free) snacks and pops, sit down area, deep tub, and seperate shower also alcholic beverages if you choose in the mini bar(they cost though) I was a little disappointed with the view from the room, we had an ocean view room and trees were blocking the view of the ocean, could hardly see it, however that didn't bother us that much, because we wern't going to be in the room alot. The grounds at spanish bay are beautiful and big, wonderful views of ocean, alot of gardens, plants, and wildlife, deer, seals, ect...The pictured of the pool are a little misleading, Spanishbay inn pool is located by sticks, no ocean view or any views at all, nice gym though, for those whom like to work out, also a world class tennis courts. Ate at Roys and Sticks, food was o.k. Alot better food at Cannary Row, which is 5-10 min drive from the Resort. Spanish bay inn is on 17 mile Drive which leads to Carmel, loved the drive a must do, Carmel has alot of small shops, that if you like to shop is worth the trip, also alot of nice little restraunts for food and the wine lovers.(what ever restraunt you choose try there seafood pasta, best in the world.) Another drive that I truley enjoyed that was as nice as the 17 mile drive is Ocean drive(starts in monterey and leads to pebble beach), it was awsome(picture perfect) Aquarium was nice too. On the old fishermans warf, there's a fish market and they throw the bad fish over the pier, a lot of seals in the location, must see, it's the comerical area. All in all We loved our stay at spanish bay inn and recomend it to everyone.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2006

II really loved your hotel, I loved how the mountain goats walked up to our window.
The restaurants was first class. The rooms were spacious. the only problem we incurred was the first night our lights went out and we didn't check the layout of the room I rumbled around until I found the phone and hit every spot until I got the front desk.
I found out they have a candle in a drawer wi th a match taped on it , because of the wind there ,it happens sometimes. I also loved the fireplace. I would visit this hotel the next time I am in the area!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2004, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2006

This place was fantastic. The room was gorgeous. The service top notch. The location unbeatable! Ignore the bad reviews of this Hotel. It is top notch in every way. Expensive but you can see it in the attention to details. Do Go!

• Stayed February 2006
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

My husband and I recently stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay and we will not go back. The staff were extremely rude and full of themselves; the room needed an overhaul and, considering the nightly rate, was way overpriced. The up side is that the views cannot be beat and the food is good. This place is way too pricey for the value.

Stayed October 2005
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

This is a first class resort. Lots of people around to help. Restaurants and bars are very nice.

Rooms were very nice with electric fireplaces. Turn down service at night with music playing when we got back to the room.

Valet was very prompt with the car, we never had to wait and a tip wasn't expected.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!