“Lovely spot in Paso Robles” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Burlingame CA
“Lovely spot in Paso Robles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here fall 2010 when the temperature was over 100 but stayed comfortable in this beautiful hotel only a block from the downtown square. All the rooms are slightly unique and the decor is charming. We had an upstairs room that was totally quiet. Staff was very friendly and allowed us to keep our "blue ice" in the hotel refrigerator so we could keep our wine purchases cool in our car every day. I loved having the breakfast buffet on the patio under the big oak tree and the Pony Bar invites lingering. Check out their Town and Country special with Deborah's Room restaurant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with another couple on part of our road trip around California on Harley's. We arrived on our bikes, scruffy, dirty and exhausted after riding from Death Valley that day which would have been a problem for some boutique hotels but not this one! They greeted us with iced tea and cake in a delightful reception area.

We had rooms on the second floor looking into a little courtyard, admittedly we also looked out onto the air con boxes for the rooms but we didn't hear them (I never expect a view in a town centre hotel). The rooms themselves where wonderful, beautifully decorated and very well appointed. The bed was large and soft with lovely linens, the bathroom was very pretty, soft towels, nice products, an AMAZING shower and ours had deep bath fit for 2! Our friends didn't have a bath in their room so if you are a bath person you might want to ask for the Lexington room when booking.

The staff where helpful in the extreme! Not only with mundane things like laundry and ice but they also helped us book a fantastic limo based wine tour with Lush Limos (see trip advisor review)

In the evenings they lit wood fires around the private inner courtyard and kept them stoked until everyone has gone to bed, allowing us to drink our own wine, snuggled up under the blankets supplied or get drinks from the bar. On the whole our fellow guests where respectful and quiet late in the evenings as all the rooms do face into the fire area but I would imagine that might not always be the case. If you are a light sleeper this might be a issue.

An excellent continental breakfast was included in the room rate and served in the bar area until gone 10am (great for late risers) There was also a couple homemade cookies and chocolates in our rooms daily along with decent coffee and a small peculator, no tea bags initially but they where supplied when requested.

I could go on and on about how brilliant the hotel Cheval is, I struggled to find fault with it at all. One small tip though, this is NOT a hotel for families with small children (and is not advertised as such) the rooms are not kid safe nor are the stone staircases or open fires, if you have little kids I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hotelcheval1021, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Cheval, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive, detailed review. I am glad we could offer a comfortable relaxing respite after your motorcycle trip through Death Valley! I hope you enjoyed your trip to Laguna Seca for the bike racing after you left Paso Robles. Please visit us again when you are next on the west coast.
Palm City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

When I saw that trip advisor had it ranked # 5 I was somewhat concerned before my arrival.
However, from the moment I saw the hotel I knew we were in for a pleasant surprise. From the moment I walked in they made me feel welcomed. They called me by name even before introducing myself. As we crossed the courtyard I felt transformed back to an Inn in Europe.
Our room was comfortable and well stocked. The outdoor fireplaces were such an incredible part of the experience of the hotel. You get to sip a glass of wine in a relax atmosphere. In the mornings, at the Pony Club they served muffins, bagels, cereal, fresh fruit and coffee. In the afternoons, there's live music and wine tastings. They don't have a spa but could do limited treatments right in your room. This is an intimate, romantic place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I can't imagine a more charming place to stay in Paso Robles. The Hotel Cheval is delightful & inviting. Our room was lovely: nice fireplace, fluffy duvet, crisp bed linens, and a little plate of cookies to greet us. Great courtyard with fireplaces, etc. - perfect to enjoy a glass of champagne after a hard day of wine tasting!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have travelled the Central Coast of California for decades. This is the best room you will find within 100 miles. It is quiet, located a half block off the main square, and within walking distance of several great, not good, restaurants. It is an understated study in good taste. The interior courtyard with the fireplaces, slate, cooper, and stone work are not your cookie-cutter mom and pop enterprise. The owners spared no expense. The rooms are as good as you can get. I can compare them to One and Only's, Four Season's, and any Relais Chateau. Hotel Cheval easily plays in their league (except the aforementioned big room rates). Service is efficient, unobtrusive and NOT pretentious. It is yours when you need it. The hotel is small, book plenty in advance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I was in Paso Robles for business and always travel with my two small dogs. They are sometimes nervous traveling and this hotel seriously rolls out the red carpet. I was excited to see upon checking into my room they had already prepared my room with a huge and comfy dog bed, bowls for their food and placemat so thankfully I don't have to worry about the water drops. My dogs went right to sleep on the bed and just as they pounced on their dog bed I relaxed on the huge California king bed. All of us were feeling like Paso Wine Country royalty!

Room Tip: Every room is as luxurious as the next!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Winnetka, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

We get away to Paso several times a year and try different hotels every time, and we anxiously awaited our Hotel Cheval stay. It is a beautiful hotel - classic furnishings, understated colors. However, we were given the Trumpator room (front bottom-floor room) which we didn't like at all. Although the room has a lovely patio, the two lounge chairs were not user-friendly (the cushions were dirty and full of leaves), and the short patio walls leave you exposed to the adjacent patios and, worse yet, the sidewalk! We never used it. Even the roman shades on the patio doors do not fully block the view out to the street, or IN our room from the street!! We had a couples massage in the room one morning, which proved an interesting exercise in trying to fit two massage tables in such a tiny room! The courtyard with the wood-burning fireplaces is beautiful, and the Pony Club bar is beautiful for an afternoon drink. We didn't take advantage of the breakfasts, so I can't comment on that. It is a very expensive hotel and I think, if we decide to try Hotel Cheval again, we will be sure and request a specific room upstairs, and away from the street.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cheval? Share your experiences!