“Once is Enough” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Executive Chef Will Torres takes full advantage of “farm to table” local offerings blending and bending savory and sweet, nouveau and traditional, Chef Will’s food delivers nuances of urban sophistication and down home delicious.
Long Beach CA
“Once is Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

We were very excited to have snagged reservations at this intimate and exclusive restaurant at the Justin Winery. We are big fans of Isosceles and had high expectations.

The drive to the restaurant is about 15 miles of winding roads. Doing this in the day time is gorgeous. At night, in the dark with no streetlights is a challenge, watching for critters in the road and which way the next curve is turning. After the long drive we were happy to walk into the winery but stood waiting in the lobby (with the dog) and no one was there. Finaly a man came out of the dining area and his first words to us were "Got a name?"

Not "welcome", or "good evening", or "how was your drive", but "Got a name?" This is to someone who he knows is about to spend no less than $200 without any wine. I suppose he figured we'd made the drive and wouldn't be leaving. He turned out to be our waiter, Timothy. While he was more polite and accommodating once we were seated, he had a lot of ground to regain after that first greeting. Unfortunately, that really set the tone.

The food was fine, the menu is unique and, if you're not an open and adventurous eater you might struggle with a course or two. We did not choose the wine pairing and were very happy with the 2005 Isosceles we chose. The pork belly was flavorful, but was like eating bacon fat. The butternut squash soup was very good. The bouillabaisse was not what I expected and was more of a marinara sauce than a tomato based broth.

The dog wandered into the restaurant during our meal. He (she?) was friendly and docile, but smelled like a dog, so not the best dinner companion.

I really expected to be wowed at that price point ($90 per person) and we were underwhelmed. My husband is sorry that we went, but I am glad that we did as, aside from the rude greeting, the ambiance is very romantic and cozy. There were only two other couples and a small group the night we were there.

With the long drive, unless you are staying at the winery, I'd think it would be a better lunch venue. Never say never, but I don't think we'd ever go back for dinner. Maybe lunch. Maybe once is enough.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tracy_Dauterman, Retail Sales Manager at Deborah's Room, responded to this review, February 9, 2010
First I’d like to thank you for dining with us at our on-property winery restaurant, Deborah’s Room. I’m happy to hear you’re fans of our flagship wine, ISOSCELES. I’m very sorry to hear you had anything less than an exceptional experience! We pride ourselves on our hospitality, quality wine, and gourmet food, and we feel that being a bit off the beaten path makes the experience that much more unique.

Due to the intimate nature of our restaurant, we typically do not have a host available to seat guests. All of the seating is done by the waiters themselves and it sounds like you walked into the lobby while Timothy was in the kitchen, probably taking care of some last minute preparations before your meal. I apologize that he wasn’t immediately available to greet you. Additionally, I apologize for the greeting you received when he came out to seat you. I assure you that he meant you no disrespect with the manner in which he received you. However, I agree with you that you should have been welcomed into our restaurant and not made uncomfortable upon arrival. I believe it was an off the cuff remark and he should not have made it. Your feedback has been passed along to him and he will be more professional in greeting guests as they walk in from now on.

We do pride ourselves on our unique menu and I’m glad you enjoyed the 2005 ISOSCELES. We are very proud of it! I’m sorry the Pork Belly was not to your liking. While we’ve had guest’s book dinner reservations specifically so they could try it, we are currently revamping our menu and we are grateful for feedback from customers like you.
I apologize for the dog wandering into the restaurant. During business hours, the winery dogs are not allowed into the restaurant and I hope you will accept my apology for the inconvenience. The restaurant staff has been notified of your feedback and they will do a better job of making sure the dogs do not wander in during dinner service.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for your support of our wines. I hope that you will reconsider joining us again for dinner. Your comments have been passed along to the restaurant staff and they are making improvements based on your experience. We truly believe in our wine, food, and service and we are always open to suggestions on how we can improve the experience for our guests. Thank you for taking the time to write your review!

Tracy Dauterman

Santa Clarita, CA
“Must do once, but that's enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

My wife and I have always been big fans of Justin and belong to the wine club. We always thought Deborah's Room looked so romantic. So decided to try on our 16th anniversay with another couple. Deborah's Room is very intimate - extremely intimate. There are only a few tables (about 8) and they are very close. Because the room is so tight there is only two wait staff - waiter and bus person. The waiter we had was great. I don't rember his name, but he was a buff guy with a shaved head. We went with the prix fixe menu, but skipped the wine pairing as it seemed over priced and we had been tasting all day. We did go with a bottle of their 2006 Reserve Cabernet which was fantastic. Problem seemed to be with the small staff and the timing that is required for the small group all coming in around the same time. The time between courses was very intermitent. Some were a bit early and others we had to wait 30 minutes. While this place was very romantic and I'm glad we went I have a few thoughts 1) never go with a couple - it's very quiet in there so it makes it awkward to have a fun conversation with friends 2) it's overpriced for what it was - I think Artisan and Bistro Laurent are much better values just not as romantic. As I said I would do it again if I had it to do over, but I won't be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Unforgettable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 5th anniversary taking a drive up the California Coast. One of the most memorable experience was dining at Deborah's Room at Justin Winery in Paso Robles. From the moment we stepped on property, enjoying the gardens to the last minute, we were treated like royalty. The service impeccable, the food divine and the atmosphere unbelievable. There are only 5 tables in this quaint restaurant. Please request Table 4, if you enjoy sitting by a window looking out onto the gardens. What an amazing gem of a place. We will always treasure our time at Justin Winery and our dining at Deborah's Room.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
pasorobles
“This is the place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

And Yes this is the place to be if your looking for an unbelievable food & wine experience!
Also at the bottom of this review box it asks if I would recommend to a friend and I would & I have too many!
Dave

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sunnyvale, California
“Best/most romantic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

I have eaten at Deborah's Room several times and also at the French Laundry. Deborah's Room to me is 80% of the French Laundry at half the price, but much more cosy and romantic setting. From the moment you walk in (stepping of the dogs at the entry door) to the informal, yet comfortable and personal service by Timmothy to the excellent wine pairings I can only recommend this place to anyone who really likes food and wine and wants a place for a romantic dinner.
Both my fiancee and I knew we would get married at Justin from the moment we first visited and that our dinner party would be at Deborah's room.