“Loved it now. Can only get better post renovations.” 4 of 5 stars

Summerwood Winery & Inn
2175 Arbor Road, Highway 46 West and Arbor Road, Paso Robles, CA 93446   |
Ranked #9 of 31 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved it now. Can only get better post renovations.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We were among the last guests to have the pleasure to stay at the Summerwood Inn before it closed for extensive renovations. True the decor was a little tired, but the service, location and little "extras" they offer make this a special place to stay. For example, the food, which is prepared the innovative chef is just fantastic. You get a hearty breakfast (and nicely, they let you pick off a menu so it's not the same dish for everyone), heavy appetizers (burrata, fennel salad, a frittata, olives) and Summerwood wines in the early evening, and then cookies and coffee before bed. Honestly, they feed you well at Summerwood. After a long day touring vineyards, we ended up not going back out for dinner! I also liked the size of the room (very spacious) with a fireplace and a small balcony that overlooked the vineyards. Staying at the Inn entitles you to a free tasting and special deals on their label. These were just some of the great perks. I generally like to try new hotels when I travel, but when we go to Paso Robles in the future, I know we'll always stay here. Plus, I'm just so eager to see how the renovations turn out--it's going to move from a great hotel to a truly special place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here in October 2012 and loved it. Saw some mixed reviews so had some doubt but was very pleased.

Pros:

Easy to find and just a mile or two off the main freeway, yet feel secluded
Set up wine tour for us with Grapeline Tours
Excellent breakfast (did I say wonderful French toast with carmalized bananas)
Beautiful view from 2nd floor balcony (over looking mature vineyards)
Large room with the largest bathroom I have ever seen in a B&B
Room and lobby very clean
Helpful and friendly staff
Great appetizers and wine
Beautiful area

Cons:

The room was so large that the avarage size TV in the corner appeared to be too small for such a large room.

Overall:
We heard that it needs to be renovated that the rooms and lobby were showing some age. We did not see this though some of the outside stairs and railings showing wear and in need of paint. After making this observation, we were told that they are closing down for six months (beginning November 2012) to renovate the whole place. Our room the Syrah, was large and did not need any renovation, but they are still going to refresh all rooms. Can't wait to see how wonderful after all this is done. I would highly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: The Syrah room was large with a great view. Make sure you get to the wineries in the area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
huntington beach, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have been a big fan of the Summerwood wines for almost 4 years, and my daughter, son-in-law and myself had the opporunity in October 2012, to visit the winery and stay at the Inn.

I was very pleased with the overall property and every member of their staff goes the extra distance to make sure that you are pampered and satisfied with every detail. The room was great along the late night deserts they put in your room when turning down the beds. Breakfast was amazing on the outdoor patio, allowing us to soak up the view of the vines and rolling hillside.

Elizabeth at the wine tasting room was simply amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable on every wine they offer and was a pleasure to visit with. It was also impressive to meet the wine maker and to see the barrel room. I do not know how Summerwood ranks in size among other wine makers, but they are huge on quality and service to their customers. I am looking forward to visiting after the major remodeling of the Inn.

B. Stallings

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

my Wife and I have stayed here many times in the last few years. We are members of a few wineries in the area and try to get to Paso Robles twice a year . Summerwood is a very peaceful and tranquil place to stay. We usually book the twilight room which is not a "floral" as the other rooms. It has a view of the front part of the home , which is not as good as the other rooms that face the vineyard. That view is exceptional. The wine that they give you in the room is always great. In fact , the Summerwood winery has great wine , although a little pricey. when you book a room you get breakfast served every morning and it has always been great. You also get wine and cheese in the afternoon , Something my wife looks forward to everyday. The rooms could use a little updating but are still nice. We do really like this place , it feels like home.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here on our Honeymoon for one night in April 2012 and wished we could have stayed for the entire week!!! I'm telling you- this place is spectacular. The service and the food were wonderful. We had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting for us in our room when we arrived. The inn keeper brought us breakfast in bed the next morning and made us a picnic lunch in the afternoon. The chef is extremely talented with gourmet treats! The grounds are immaculate with beautiful flowers and fresh herbs growing. Our room had extraordinary views of the vineyards. Trust me- we will be going back for our anniversary! We love the Summerwood!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
LA, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I really can't say enough good things about the Summerwood Inn. My husband and I enjoyed every single minute of our stay. Each morning we woke up to a beautiful view of the vineyard and then walked down to the gorgeous patio to have a gourmet breakfast prepared by the chef. The Inn is located near many of the wineries in Paso so my husband and I spent a day biking to 5 of the closest tasting rooms (Including Summerwood's) which were all fantastic. At 5pm, we would go back to the Inn to enjoy the hors d'oevres and wine, which were also prepared by the amazing chef. The entire staff is absolutely lovely and very helpful. As a couple reviewers noted, the decor at the Inn may seem a bit dated. It really just adds to the charm. They did mention that they are going to renovate this Fall/Winter. I can't wait to go back and see the improvements.

Room Tip: We stayed in Syrah and LOVED it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We loved our 2 night stay at Summerwood. Our room was lovely and comfortable, and the staff was amazingly attentive and helpful. The bed was comfortable (we were in Syrah) and the view of the vineyards was lovely. We were greeted with substantial hors d'oevres and Summerwood wines (which were surprisingly nice), and there was a bottle of Syrah for us in our room. After going out to dinner (which we hardly needed) we were greeted with warm cookies and milk. The morning's breakfast was wonderful, and there was a good selection to choose from. This was all repeated for the second day.

The bright and spacious common area downstairs (where the hors d'oevres were served) felt like we were in a comfortable, but elegant home of our own.

There was a cute gas fireplace in the room that the innkeeper lit for us each nice while we were at dinner, and she turned on the music that played through the Dish network and TV, which was a nice touch as we retired each evening.

The down pillow on the bed was so comfortable and perfect for me that I didn't have to pull out the pillow I brought (and usually travel with).

Yes, the TV was kind of old and small, but we weren't there to watch TV. And the bathtub could have been updated. But it didn't really matter to us.

Staying here definitely enhanced our lovely wine tasting weekend in Paso, and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Check out the website for descriptions of the rooms, and call and speak with someone about your choi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Summerwood Winery & Inn? Share your experiences!