“Could have been a hit, however struck out” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Villa Creek Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 157 Restaurants in Paso Robles
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Californian
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th and Pine
Description: Working with local farmers since 1998. Villa Creek's Chef Tom Fundaro prepares local, organically or sustainably farmed products in rustic preparations. A local and international compilation of wines and a premium bar selection complement the fresh inspiring cuisine. "It seems that practically everyone visiting Paso Robles wine country passes through Villa Creek. That's easy to understand, because this winemaker hangout serves up youthful energy, satisfying food and an exciting wine list with excellent prices." Wine Spectator.
West Palm Beach, FL
“Could have been a hit, however struck out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Went in with great expectations as it was highly recommended. Two stars my be a little light but hard to give three. It was a Wednesday night and about 6:30pm. Not too busy but even with two or three open tables we were told it would be a 20 to 30 min wait and if there was a seat in the bar we could take but not eat order off the dinner menu. We were fine with it and after a few mins the hostess found us and said a table opened. Great. So far so good. The waiter came over and took drink orders. Two of three came and after about 15 min we asked about the glass of wine? No sorry or anything but he got it. We ordered three starts and two "lighter" fares. The food was very good. Cauliflower, duck nachos and fries with aioli. The table was no cleared of empty glasses. The wine left on the table basically untouched (not liked) never questioned as to why? After about an hour and change no main course? Asked to cancelled the first dinner as it took so long. No I'm sorry but said it was on the pass. After a few mins the second main came out wrong. Again no I'm sorry or anything other than you can keep it (not sure what it was). After another 15 or 20 mins asked to cancel it and waiter had an attitude. Are you kidding me? Again no I'm sorry what can we do? Got check and still an attitude from the server. (Wow). No manager no apology. Good food bad service what could have been a great night left a BAD taste so to speak.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Excellent local style Cali-Cuisine,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have eaten here 3 times over the past 4 years. It's right on the NE corner of the square The menu seems to be veering more towards small plates these days than I recall from previous visits. Nevertheless, the meal the four of us had was very good. I would suggest/expect that they offer more wines by the glass considering their location.But they don't have a great list unless you want a bottle.. The entrees are limited also but are really solid and all that we got were great. Apps: Ahi Tuna Ceviche yuzu, orange, microgreens, avocado,Quinoa Salad w/ feta, radish, peas, asparagus in buttermilk vinaigrette. I got seared cod and it was excellent and nicely plated , my boys got chicken and waffles which they scarfed down in about 3 minutes. They offer dishes for two as well which is a nice idea..... Grass Fed Pan Roasted Del Monico Pork or 1/2 Brick Chicken seared under a brick, Service was OK , it was kind of odd how quiet the room was at 9 pm on a Saturday night.
It may have lost it's " latest thing" cachet, but is still a high quality restaurant. needing a few tweaks.Check it out.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paso Robles, California, United States
“Taco Tuesday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Another visit, another awesome meal. Tom Fundaro conjures up magical and creative tacos that make it hard to eat just one! Service is an extra bonus as all are well-trained, competent, aware and very friendly. A definite family favorite.

• Visited June 2013
NY NY
“Paso Robles' Best Kept Secret?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was one of the THE BEST meals I have ever put in my mouth.

After a long drive down from Carmel earlier that day, and some wine tasting, we wandered into Villa Creek on a recent Saturday night, no reservation. We were offered a table on the back patio.I thought to myself "this must be where they stick the poor dinner planners". I was beyond pleasantly surprised. My friend and I were seated at a table for two, next to a water feature, and a heat lamp. Blooming jasmine covered the wooden fence which served as the back wall of the patio. The wait staff were very helpful and attentive.

We ordered some divine sounding apps. I had planned on the Bolognese risotto when my friend said she was ordering the oil poached tuna with linguini, chili flakes, golden raisins, and pine nuts. I decided to give it a try. You should too! Sadly, we did not have room for dessert.

• Visited May 2013
Farmington, Connecticut
“Beautiful, Fresh, Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I read a few of the other reviews and understand everyone's point of view. (although I don't to the thinking that "local" and "organic" is a bad thing!) While the food here can sometimes be uneven: one dish is so-so but the next one soars, we appreciate the interesting and sometimes quirky ingredients and presentation. We also think Villa Creek is one of the very best places to eat in Paso Robles and that the Tripadvisor ratings do not reflect this.
We had the good fortune to eat here with a fairly large group who ordered lots of different things so we all cross-tasted and compared and liked some things and felt ambivalent about some things and were "over the moon" with others. (hence my comment on unevenness) The experience was so good overall that the group chose to eat at Villa Creek a second time. We are all foodies so that reflected our confidence in expecting an enjoyable evening.
The wine list is great but choosing between them can be hard. The Villa Creek Winery wines are really delicious and "go down" quite quite well. Especially with food.
My biggest conundrum is the pronunciation! In a town where the Spanish is NOT pronounced: Passo Row-bulls, Villa Creek adheres to the Spanish pronunciation: Vee-yah Creek!
Gotta love it!
Oh, and for a person who NEVER eats dessert, I would eat that "huckleberry thing" any time, any place, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Really.

• Visited March 2013