“A blind tasting menu that won us over” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
san luis obispo, ca
“A blind tasting menu that won us over”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Read the reviews and the menu before dinner and was prepared for a new experience. 3 in my party chose the tasting menu which they all enjoyed. The tasting menu is commonly picked as many diners are not quite sure what to order in a French restaurant. This option is unique in that each diner who chose the tasting menu received 4 courses each different from the other members of our party. They also do not get to pick what they want. They were asked what they don't want and if they liked fish, meat, or were they allergic to anything. Then the menus are collected and you wait for dinner! It's basically a surprise and they were all delighted as each dish was brought out and the waiter explained it to each diner. The wines were also shown and explained and again no choice on the tasting menu. Wines received were good but not exemplary. I was with picky eaters and real foodies and they loved what they got. I tasted many of their dishes and I concurred they were prepared and presented well with great sauces. The portions were small but adequate.
I ordered the risotto with shrimp and was very happy with it. It was not the creamy risotto I have had in Italy but this was grilled lightly and covered in large shrimp with great sauce.
We were greeted with a handshake when we arrived and when we left.
Expensive for San Luis Obispo County but worth a splurge now and then.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Not memorable at all!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We went here for my birthday dinner and all of us ordered the 4 course tasting menu with wine pairings. The outrage was the seeming rush and hurriedness of the wait staff. We thought we would be offered a few choices from the selection, but before we knew it, the first course came out. The wines were poured without explanation of what it was or where it was from. The courses were rushed and the meal was terribly uneventful. I was very underwhelmed. The only saving grace was the manager providing an apple tart tatin as a special accommodation to my request.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Delray Beach, Florida
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We have dined at Bistro Laurent a number of times when we have visited Paso Robles. Each time we have visited, we enjoyed our dinner. However, tonight was an extraordinary dinner. We choose the four course tasting menu paired with wine. Each course was better than the previous one and the inept pairings were perfect. We loved our dinner and will definitely return when we are in the area.

Visited April 2014
Paso Robles, California, United States
“Still the Best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

In the press Paso is claimed to be a really interesting restaurant destination. Sadly not true. Most are mediocre, even the high profile ones. The exception is Bistro Laurent. Solid, really good void and wine. Not new and splashy, but food actually fit to eat.

Visited December 2013
Aptos
“Service doesn't match the quality of the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was our 2nd visit to Bistro Laurent and wasn't as good as the first time. The food was still excellent although very pricey. I had lamb and it was cooked perfectly. The disappointment was the staff almost without exception. They were attentive enough and everything came out quickly, but everyone that waited on us (and there were several), were surly and disinterested. We didn't feel very welcome. First example was the host who barely acknowledged us then when sitting us did not give us very long before abruptly asking what we wanted. I had a wine list but not once did anyone ask me if I wanted something. It sat on our table all night. I mentioned this at the end to one of the many wait staff and they said "oh sorry" - translated to me as so what. One waiter also saw my appetizer was complete and took my plate (fine), then literally stood over my boyfriend and waited until he took he last few bites before taking his plate. In summary they seemed well trained on what to do, but not how to execute it. We won't be back. It would have been different if it was just one bad waiter (it happens), but this was the whole place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere