“An absolute gem a block off the square” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 152 Restaurants in Paso Robles
Cuisines: Mexican
San Luis Obispo, CA
“An absolute gem a block off the square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Paso Robles has become known for outstanding restaurants in recent years, but we recently discovered one of the best and it's still relatively undiscovered. (That will probably change quickly.) Habaneros is just a block up from Spring Street, the main drag in Paso Robles, and from the city square/park. It's a tiny place, with only half a dozen tables. But it features the best Mexican food anywhere between Santa Barbara and Monterey. In fact, the only meals I've had that compare were in the Zona Rosa in Mexico City, in Guadalajara, and in one or two other upscale Mexican restaurants. I love this cuisine and I recognize quality when I get it. Habaneros is quality.
On our first visit I had a stuffed pasilla pepper with an almond/mushroom sauce that was terrific. My wife had one of the vegetarian plates and loved it. We also had their guacamole for the table and it was excellent--chunky, with just the right amount of tomato and onion and spice. It's made fresh right before serving.
On our second visit, I had pork in their special sauce. Quite spicy and very, very good. We also ordered the queso fundido for the table and it was phenomenal.
I can't recommend this little gem too highly. Enjoy it quickly before it becomes better known and crowded.

• Visited June 2014

Los Angeles, California
“Authentic Mexican Cuisine in Paso Robles, who knew!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Loved the small p[lace. I had the Sope-Taco dish....the best! The dish had asada and chorizo meat with some of their special sauce. I loved the kick in the sauces.

• Visited April 2014
“Authentic & Delish!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is a small place, we were 10 ppl, but they accommodated us to have us together and really great service was provided! Best dip- taste their chorizo bean dip, yuuuuummmy!
heir sopetaco fusion plate was so delicious, you have to try it!!! Great Mexican food and we're coming back!

Shelby, Montana
“Exceptional...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Exceptional food...portions...service...I do not know what else you could ask for.Jessie (may not be the right spelling) started us off with a nice greeting and was attentive throughout but not bothersome. The food was really great...a different taste of Mexico.

• Visited February 2014
Paso Robles, California, USA
“Tasty Food. Nice Restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My fiancee and I went here for lunch the other day. We were very hungry and the portions did not disappoint. We were only able to finish half of our meals, which were delicious. The place is really nice, especially for a Mexican restaurant. There was only one server in the restaurant and I think we caught them in the middle of unexpected rush. Service was slightly slow because of that, but our server was very friendly and I have no complaints.

Visited January 2014