“Overall excellent experience at Holiday Inn Express Paso Robles” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Canton, Georgia
“Overall excellent experience at Holiday Inn Express Paso Robles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express on priority club points with plans to visit Hearst Castle the next morning. To me, the hotel is in kind of a strange location, but once you figure out the roads, it's okay. We stayed not in the main building, but in what they called the "new, soundproof building." The room was very nice and clean. We had laundry to do, but unfortunately the laundry in that building was out of order. We went to the main building and waited a short while and then were able to use the washer and dryer. We heard a train several times, however, our building must really be soundproof because we were not disturbed by the train at all that night.

We ate dinner in downtown Paso Robles at the Odyssey. Although my daughter and I had a good meal, my husband got very sick from his food. The next morning, as he was so sick, we were delayed getting out of the room, but still trying to get to Hearst Castle for our tour. In our rush, I forgot to get the clothes and shoes that I had put in the closet. I realized this on the road to Hearst, so I called the Holiday Inn Express, and they said they would check the room and have the items waiting for us to pick up later that day. When we went back by the hotel, it took them a few minutes to locate it, but indeed they did have all the items in a bag for us. Honesty on a hotel staff's part goes a long way with me! We would definitely stay there again if we ever return to the area.

• Liked — Attentiveness of hotel staff
  • Disliked — Laundry room washer out of order
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

The Paso Robles Wine Festival held in May each year is one of three wine-inspired events that make getting a room in town difficult. There is always Atascadero, San Luis Obispo or Cambria but for an in-town location, pickin's are slim when the limited supply of hotel rooms book fast. And with four couples in our group, the small, 2 and 3 bedroom B & B's were out of the question.

The Holiday Inn Express served the purpose. Right on 46 East so we could visit those wineries by day and directly across from the fairgrounds where a bus was waiting to take us the 12 blocks to the park for the 2 pm to 5 pm wine fair hosted by 91 wineries.

All of us paid a little extra ($227.00 w/ Triple A on Friday and Saturday, $144.00 on Sunday) to get what they called a suite. I think you can save the extra $25.00 to $40.00 because what you received for the extra money was a sink in your kitchenette. Standard rooms had the little refrigerator and microwave just like the "suite." And your bathroom has a sink. Skip the extra moola.

The beds were comfortable. The bathrooms basic but functional. Your view was either the front parking lot or an electrical distribution company in the main building. If you were in the stand alone 2nd building you had the option of a KFC or train tracks. That said I will say again, more than adequate for our needs.

Because this is a small facility (44 rooms) it is missing some of the big boy toys. No bar, restaurant or outdoor pool. A small work out room, an indoor pool (heated to 78 degrees which was appreciated when it was 102 outside) and a jacuzzi. We used that pool two days and it was nearly empty each time.

For the most part restaurants withing walking distance were of the fast food variety. We did go to Big Bubba's BBQ the first night. The food was below average but the bucking bull ride was worth the price of admission watching the local 20 somethings' get tossed to the mat. For better choices check TripAdvisor restaurant listings. I recommend Artisan, as will everyone else.

On previous visits we have stayed at Paso Robles Inn (twice) and at Wild Coyote B & B. On this trip the Holiday Inn was the ticket and it served us well.

• Liked — Easy parking, quick walk up the stairs to our third floor room
  • Disliked — Only that it was basic, basic, basic
  • Stayed May 2008
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for one night in a large room that accomodated a family of five. (the hotel provided rolloway bed for small charge). I booked the hotel through the Holiday Inn website however, as I was unsure whether they had noted the additional bed I contacted the hotel direct. They quoted me a higher charge than originally booked however, they honoured the lower price instead when I asked them why there was a difference in price. We arrived late in the evening and the bed was not there,when I informed the receptionist, she delivered it herself ten minutes later.

The kids loved the pool and disappeared into it straight away even though it was late in the evening. Room was large and clean. Only noticed in the morning that it backed onto a builders yard. As we were only travelling through this did not pose a problem as we did not hear any noise, not sure would have been as happy if we had stayed there longer. As we arrived late and it was dark , I am not sure about the location itself. Thought it appeared to be near industrial estate but I could have been wrong as I really did not pay that much attention on the way out (trying to map read and navigate to next destination).

Breakfast was fine and if you wanted more the hotel seemed to be surrounded by lots of places to eat. Hotel price was very reasonable for the night. Would I stay here again - possibly.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lebanon, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

I recently stayed (4/11 & 12/2008) at the Holiday Inn Express in Paso Robles, CA. My wife and I booked a Jacuzzi King Room.

If any of you have read my other reviews, you know I don’t normally stay in larger hotel chains until my recent excursion at a local Hampton Inn changed my feelings about it.

The Holiday Inn – Paso Robles was no exception.

The hotel was very easy to find, located about ½ mile from the highway, they are tucked into this great neighborhood of various restaurants, activities, etc. If you are coming for the “Mid State Fair”, the grounds are only about 200 yards away. Additionally, the hotel is about ½ hour away from Lake San Antonio (the bigger one of the two)

The best of yet is that even though the hotel is located next to all these great things, they are still far enough that it doesn’t get a stitch of noise from it’s surroundings.

Upon arrival, my wife and I parked, and walked to the front desk. The gal there was very nice, attentive, and efficient. She gave us very good directions on how to get to our room, and invited us to breakfast the next morning and let us know the times.

If you’re a “lobby-goer” and like to lounge somewhere else other than you room, this hotel has a beautiful lobby.

When you first walk through the doors, you’ll find a great big large “soft flowing” fountain which consists of 4 or 5 large rectangular blocks with ripples on it’s side. Water ebb’s from the top and well, I just really like fountains. They also have a computer available for you to check your e-mail, a great sitting area with a lot of natural light, and if you wanted to grab a quick bite to eat, they have fresh baked cookies at the front desk, and fruits in the next door breakfast room.

When I arrived to our room, I was a bit unsure. There was one review here by a lady who complained about her room location. She described it as a room located right across from the pool, and close to the back door that was constantly getting slammed. Well, I got this exact room. Room 112.

I can see someone who stays in the room all day having a problem with this, but since we were out most of the day, it didn’t bother me one bit. We heard the occasion children playing in the pool, and the not so often person coming in from the back door; but most people were kind enough to shut the door quietly, and the children never brought their “ruckus” outside the closed door’s of the swimming pool.

The room itself is awesome; it’s very spacious with good lighting. The bed is was more comfortable than the 5 star hotel I work at here in Napa is. A neat little feature about the bed is that they put 4 pillows on the bed. If you look closer at the pillow cased, two of them say “Soft”, and two of them say “Hard”. What a great little bonus.

The best part about the room was the Jacuzzi. If you can afford to spring the extra $20 a day for this option, do it. You and your significant other will enjoy! There are about 10 jets in the thing, and after you get the water in, it runs fairly quietly so you don’t disturb your neighbors.

The bathroom is also a neat room full of extra amenities. The towels are very soft and clean, they have these cool bottles they offer that have the different lotions, shampoo’s etc. in, the shower head is great and very easy to maneuver, and they have those new style halo curtain rod’s that allow much more space in the shower.

Each morning’s breakfast is great. Time has come a long way from the days that hotels offered pre-packaged Danishes and folders coffee, if anything at all.
Breakfast here is a breath of fresh air. You had your choice of scrambled eggs and bacon, or biscuits and gravy or the next day you could have sausage and eggs; they always switched things up.

That wasn’t the last of it though; they always had real fresh bagels and bread, fruit, delicious cinnamon buns, yogurt, milk, and cold and hot cereals.

My only complaints are extremely minor. On Saturday, the housekeeper failed to restock those great shampoo’s lotions, etc. and she didn’t pick up some items off the floor.

Also, check-out took a little longer than it had to, but the clerk was extremely helpful, and very inviting to having us back sometime in the future.

Additonally, there is apeice of art work above the jacuzzi that was upsidedown. I guess that's my pickiness coming out that housekeeping cannot be detailed enough to notice a upsidedown picture. But I in no way am complaining about it, it the little things that count sometimes.

All in all, this place is great and I will definitely be back when I’m in town. If I could make any recommendation, request a 3rd floor room in the main building.

• Liked — Great room layout, location, breakfast.
  • Disliked — Lack of an eye for detail in some things of the room.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

Very updated linens, toiletries and entranceway.... we had a nice suite with fridge, sofabed (comfy and clean, made up for us) and big bathroom. Everything was clean, parking was easy and breakfast was good. We were next to the traintracks but didn't hear a thing all day/night. Hotel matched internet rate over phone and let us check in early without a problem. Only complaint was that breakfast area was very crowded in morning. Ate at Villa Creek restaurant and was very good- best steak ever and great wine list updated weekly.

• Liked — Sheets and towels were clean and new, stylish room design
  • Disliked — Breakfast area too small, not really a scenic location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Van BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

We stayed at the HIE @ Paso Robles on the weekend on Nov 10 &11. Very helpful front desk staff. Big rooms, free internet service, yummy cookies (although on one night there were none or they ran out). Starbucks is nice & handy. Downtown is a short walk (although crossing
the bridge/overpass is a bit tricky as no real sidewalk - city/town should have a pedestrain walk way or signs to "watch for pedestrians".) Paso Robles is a nice town with friendly folks, merchants. Enjoyed the nearby wineries!

• Liked — size & staff
  • Disliked — heat controls
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

this hotel is excellent value for money. great for a one night stay

• Liked — very functional, very clean, staff friendly and perfect for a one night stop over
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites? Share your experiences!