“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Desperado Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paso Robles
Desperado Inn
Ranked #24 of 31 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Visalia, California, United States
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

If I could choose less than one star I would. Tom, the owner, is extremely difficult. I had a trip booked and the hotel closed and never notified me. I only happened to find out by visiting their website a couple days before my trip. What a shock! When I called to reschedule there was no apology. Tom was rude and impossible to deal with. He runs a horrible business and NO ONE SHOULD stay here!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked 2 nights at the Villa Valdemosa, and found that nothing was as advertised. We had trouble booking dates, had no power overnight and no help on site when the power was out. The "breakfast" was simply a fried egg and a single sausage, unfortunately for me. The details are truly lacking at this property, and it appeared that the cleanliness factor was also not properly attended to. Just don't do it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
tomr67, General Manager at Desperado Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
It is unfortunate that this reviewer was unhappy with their stay with us. I noticed it was her first ever review and went over her complaints with my staff. Yes we did have a power outage , it happens a lot in the country. Her room was NOT dirty -as indicated, but may not have been up to her standards. This happens as we get a lot of first timers that are used to only staying in fine hotels where everything is sterile. The breakfast not only had 'an' egg, but sausage, toast, fruit, granola, fresh fruit, muffins, juice and coffee-but I see these items were not mentioned in her negative report. After several years in this business I have noticed repeating trends when visitors are not happy; they tend to make their entire experience look horrible when in fact all she wanted was a 2nd egg!!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was my second time to stay here with the Living Social voucher. The location is slightly out of town in beautiful wine country. I much rather stay out here with the views of the rolling hills covered in vines than in a town. The place is slightly hard to find in the dark so try to get there while it's still light. We didn't have the breakfasts either day this time around, but previous stay the breakfasts were interesting (one day the main course was banana waffles--not your typical breakfast) and we ate outside on the porch, which was delightful. The previous stay we were in the Portofino which was detached from the house. The room was spacious and we enjoyed the porch. I was disappointed that this time around we were getting the Syrah room which is inside the house--afraid it was going to be too much like staying at someone's house and that the room was going to be small. However, I was pleasantly surprised! We still had a very nice bathroom and quite spacious room. The bed was a little squeaky, but pretty comfortable. We also were right next to the movie selection, so we really took advantage of that once we were in for the night. We only briefly saw anyone on this stay, which was just fine with me. Everything went smoothly and the stay was

Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We purchased a two day package for our parent's anniversary. They just got home and called to tell us they had a well appointed room and enjoyed the Villa Valemosa. They said they didn't have breakfast til' late one morning and that things were rather disorganized. They told us that Tom Rigby left with his suitcases at some point after they arrived and left a young girl in charge. Our parents are easy to please and told us they had a good time using our gift, but I was a little frustrated at the lack of attention to details and customer service as advertised.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Tom was very patient and helpful with a recent cancellation I had to make. I'll be visiting the Villa as soon as I can and Tom will be honoring the voucher I bought for the villa, which I really appreciate. Looking forward to visiting that charming place.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Highland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

view and location were worth the trip. Villa was nice but laid back, but then run by a man, could use a women's touch. Be careful when booking, I bought a Travelzoo voucher and when called to make reservation was told suites shown in voucher would cost more and the mini suite[ no patio or Spa tub and small ] was available at voucher price. Be sure what you are paying for and what amenities you will receive. Phone calls will get you voicemail and return call a day later.

Room Tip: Call first before buying voucher and verify room availability.
West Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have stayed at many places in Paso Robles (La Quinta Inn is my favorite), but if you want total relaxation, away from anything and everything, then I would suggest Villa Valdemosa. It is run by Tom, who is an outstanding solo guitar musician in his own right. Look for him at various venues in Paso. The room is atop a hillside, with a beautiful view of Paso's rolling hills. They have a large selection of DVDs to choose from (due to it's proximity, there is no television reception). You have a choice of 5 really nice rooms to choose from, named after various wines. Each morning, you are greeted by a delicious, made by a great chef, breakfast. At night, you could sit in the back, sip your favorite wine, and enjoy the gorgeous star-filled night sky. We saw a beautiful view of the milky way. If you want a comfortable place to enjoy the sound of silence, then stay at Villa Valdemosa.

Room Tip: This place books up fast so book early.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Desperado Inn? Share your experiences!