“A little bit mixed feelings” 4 of 5 stars

Just Inn
11680 Chimney Rock Road, Paso Robles, CA 93446   |
Ranked #21 of 31 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“A little bit mixed feelings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

As we had planned it as a romantic getaway the Justin vineyard looked like an ideal location, the essence of Paso Robles in terms of views and ambiance. It was a very hot day when we arrived and we were dreaming of getting into our suite, grabbing towels and the complimentary bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, and dipping ourselves into the little pool. Well, not so fast! It turned out we booked the Bordo Suite without knowing (and there is no way to know until you arrive there) which is located like 2 minutes driving away from the pool. First, you try to complain but it's obvious you are heading nowhere so you just give up and go to Bordo. Now it depends on the point of view, for the Bordo Suite is located in the heart of the winery. Within the factory. There are earplugs next to your bed in case you had planned to sleep longer and not to be awakened by tractors bringing grapes from the hills for processing. I wake up early anyway so I kind of liked it. The suite is a two story apartment with a full blown kitchen and patio, really nice. They give you a remote for the gates, helpful when you drive back home tipsy from the restaurant. Oh, yes, the restaurant. Look people, I enjoyed the whole thing and I would do it again if it wasn't this expensive so I don't want you to get a wrong impression. Overall Justin is a five star thing. But there are glitches. The wines are amazing and they are ample at the restaurant. They soak you in them there, whether you ordered or not. You leave happy. The ambiance is cozy and romantic. The food is the worst part of it. Really, you don't get that much of it. The idea is it's a romantic place and you don't come here to eat like a pig. So you get an over-sized plates with a tiny, tiny bit of what you ordered in the middle of it plus the decoration. You've seen this before. It's not your mama's kitchen. Your papa would chase your mama out of the house for serving it like that. Well, even that would be ok occasionally, but it's obvious this is not a kitchen ready to prepare food upon the order, therefore you get what had been prepared. What had been prepared, however, is very mediocre in general, and we were additionally unfortunate to order their scallops as they just stank. We complained but were told that's the point: the scallops have to have that smell when they are good. We kind of gave up but the next morning we drove to Moro Bay for fresh scallops, just to compare our memories, and the Moro Bay's scallops just blown our heads away.

Room Tip: Perhaps I wouldn't book the Bordo room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This place is beautiful. Not only is this, 3 room Inn, beautifully decorated, its on the vineyard. You can walk out of your room and into the vineyard. There are tables and chairs on your balcony or on the grounds, for a nice picnic. The pool and whirlpool, are private, and are only for the guest staying there, basically 6-8 people. The tasting room is in the Inn Lobby, great wines, and the restaurant at the Inn is the Best in the whole Central coast. Our tasting dinner with wine was a memorable experience, the BEST. Breakfast is served outside, very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary at the Just Inn. We have very high standards and were impressed with every aspect of our stay. Prior to arrival the staff was very attentive with quick responses to all of our questions. During our stay all of the staff was outstanding and treated us like guests in their own home. Timothy their Restaurant & Banquet manager is unmatched and the best we have experienced. All of the meals on property were spectacular, with a memorable breakfast included each morning. Our one night into town we hired one of their preferred transportation companies; Epic Limousine Service. I highly recommend them. Isaiah was prompt, friendly and very professional. When you top all this off with a beautiful, comfortable room and great, great wine; this Inn is a must!

Room Tip: We loved the Sussex Room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed in the Sussex Suite. I really can't call it just a suite as it is amazing and more like a small luxury apartment.
I would recommend this as a fantastic place to stay but would not recommend dining at Deborah's Room. We had two breakfasts there and they were not that good. There wasn't a choice of what to order, you got what they brought. There was no consideration of someone being a vegetarian. I had expected much healthier foods than what was served.
We also had one dinner at Deborah's Room and it was not worth the money. The issue is, there is no place near the Just Inn to eat so you need to travel back to Paso Robles and that is a hike. I would suggest staying one night at the Just Inn and then staying the rest of your trip in Paso Robles.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracy_Dauterman, Manager at Just Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the Sussex Suite during your recent visit. I really appreciate your feedback on our breakfast. We take all comments seriously and yours are prompting changes to the breakfast menu and service. We should always be able to accommodate vegetarians. I'm very sorry you did not enjoy dinner at The Restaurant - I'm interested in hearing what you have to say. Please feel free to contact me at tracy@justinwine.com.

Tracy Dauterman
Hospitality Manager
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We have always been in love with Justin Wines, and the Just Inn, didn't disappoint. We arrived on a very busy holiday weekend, and the staff outdid themselves with smiles and helpfulness! We stayed in the Tuscany Suite which was BEAUTIFUL! The room had an adorable sitting area with a fireplace. The bedroom is comfortable and cozy. We had 2 private balconies with amazing views of the vineyards! A bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and a cheese plate were waiting in our room upon arrival. We loved everything about it and can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracy_Dauterman, Manager at Just Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback - we enjoyed hosting you and would love to see you again soon. Cheers!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed in a beautiful room, ate a fabulous private dinner, drank wonderful wines and enjoyed celebrating with our friends at Justin and at Just Inn. We highly recommend the complete Justin experience!

Room Tip: Every room is great.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Tracy_Dauterman, Manager at Just Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for your review! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience. Please come visit us again soon!
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

My story starts like this....I chose to propose to my fiance, and I wanted to do it at a vineyard in Paso Robles, CA, since we love the wine from this region. I chose Justin since it USED TO BE one of our favorite wines. We took a flight, followed by a very long drive on a dangerous, dark, and winding road that was WAY off the beaten path of the other vineyards. When we got there we were un-impressed, and the receptionist and manager screwed up my reservation. They had me staying there the next night ( the wrong night) and didn't even help me to get another room there that night. They almost ruined my entire proposal, and didn't even apologize...In fact they were very rude and just tried to get rid of us with no sympathy...no offer of something to make amends. I later found out that this place/vineyard has gone totally commercial, which explains why they clearly don't care about people. These were the most rude people I have ever met, and being a native New Yorker, that's saying something!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS OVERPRICED, COMMERCIAL, COOKIE-CUTTER vineyard, or bed and breakfast...You'll thank me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tracy_Dauterman, Manager at Just Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Jared,

I am very sorry about your experience. Especially during such an emotional, exciting, and what should be a very happy event in your life.

When our reservationist booked your stay over the phone with you she confirmed that you would be checking-in on July 14 and checking-out on July 15. When you arrived on Wednesday, July 13, we did not have availability or we would have gladly checked you into one of our four suites. Your reservation was confirmed in advance via email with a confirmation letter stating that you would be checking in on July 14th and checking out on July 15th. I would like to apologize for the mistake in the dates of your booking.

In order to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future, our reservationists are now calling guests a week in advance to confirm their check-in day and date. I have also requested that they verbally confirm both the day and date of check-in and check-out for reservations made over the phone.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the drive to the winery. We are located approximately 30 minutes from town in a rural area surrounded by vineyards and wildlife.

We were happy to make arrangements for you to stay at a local B&B. I am glad things worked out for your proposal, and I am very truly sorry that we were not able to satisfy you during your visit.

We definitely care about each and every guest who walks through our doors. I thank you for your feedback. I am incorporating immediate changes to correct the issues you experienced.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss this further.

Tracy Dauterman