“you get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 28 hotels in Pasadena
SF,CA
“you get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

You get what you pay for. I had to make a last minute trip to SoCal and needed a place for a very short amount of time. I was driving in from SF, checking in at around 2AM and would check out by 9:30AM. I pretty much just needed a place to sleep. I'm not one of those people that's just fine with a bed though. Yes, that's all I really needed, but I'm also a bit of a clean freak. It's a no frills kind of place, which is what I anticipated. I didn't expect a grandiose lobby with fresh flowers and a perky receptionist to greet me upon my arrival. I paid $80 for my stay so I knew I'd be getting the basics. The reception area is as big as some walk-in closets and the front counter has a bullet proof glass separating you from the attendant. I'm still ok at this point, mind you. I set my expectations very low since the reviews I read on different sites were so varied. I rang the bell and a man who is half awake (forgiveable since I arrived at 2AM) appeared behind the glass. Check in was quick and we were off to our room. This is where I cringe a little bit. The hallways are drab and need to be vaccuumed. When I walk into my room I'm hit with a strong scent of cleaning products. While the dead bolt on the door works, the latch is completely broken. I don't know why it's even there when it can't serve its purpose. The dangling latch made me feel a bit uneasy but what can I do? The comforters look very dated and have likely not been cleaned in a long time. The sheets were so rough that it made it so hard to move around in bed. The towels are just the same and had a very strong scent of bleach. On the bright side, I guess that means they clean them well? Check out was a breeze. As instructed, we just left our key in the room and left. I doubt I'll ever be back again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites Pasadena, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
All of our rooms are practically the same, except for the bed size. We at the Rodeway Inn & Suites clean all the rooms with the same cleaning supplies, and we have the same amenities in all the rooms. We keep are rooms as clean as possible and do change are sheets everyday. I do apologize for the deadbolt, sometimes the maids forget to tell the manager. We try are hardest to satisfy all the customers and try to do our best, but some customers will always have bad things to say.

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

while the picture of this place looks good the room we got was awful, it was dark, and the smell was unbearable. whatever cleaning solution they used to clean the room and floors was just too strong and impossible to tolerate.

didnt stay more than 15 mins and decided to check out and go to another hotel. i cant comment on the amenities, bed, coffee maker, etc. didnt in the room long enough

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We at the Rodeway Inn & Suites keep all of our rooms neat and clean. Sometimes customers smell the perfume and don't like it, but we use that in all are rooms, so we are sorry if you didn't like the scent.
LAS CRUCES
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

You get what you pay for. This is a convenient and inexpensive motel, if you have things to do in Pasadena. The room was large and clean. The mattress was hard, not saggy. There were no facial tissues in the room. There was a fridge and coffee maker, but no microwave. There was only one hanger in the room; when we asked for more, the desk clerk brought 2 more. The TV was a newer flat screen model, but there was no list of channels, so one just had to look for a program one wanted to watch. The motel building was old, but they had clearly tried to remodel the halls. There is a covered parking garage. It is not clear if there are enough spaces if each room occupant had a car. There is an 8 foot clearance, so take care if you are driving a van. Also, many of the spaces are marked for compact cars.. The breakfast was minimal: packaged cheese crackers, crousants (sp?), apples, orange juice, coffee. The water was hot and one didn't have to wait forever for it. There are other motels on the same street, many in the same price range. We have stayed at those, too. If you want more, you clearly need to pay more.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
rodewayinnandsuitesp, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn & Suites Pasadena, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with the Rodeway Inn, Pasadena during your last visit.

We also appreciate the effort you have taken to give us an explanatory review which is rather suggestive than critical. Surely we take them seriously towards improvement.

We have taken corrective steps to improve each of your observations and you shall see the change.

Adequate steps have been taken to ensure a quality breakfast always and hanks for appreciating the catering staff member.

We would like you to take note of these and once again stay with us during your visit and experience the difference!

Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

As of this writing, this hotel has 10 "terrible" reviews vs. 1 "excellent" and 7 "very good" reviews, so I feel like I need to chime in and say that the "terrible" reviews are kind of over-the-top. First of all, this is a Rodeway Inn... so for the price you pay to stay here, you really can't expect it to be the Ritz. I booked a stay here despite the bad reviews, and was expecting the worst, but like I stated in the title of this review, it's not bad at all. The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom (while small) feels "updated," the wifi connection was among the best I've used at a budget hotel, there's ample parking, and it's in a good spot in Pasadena. And as with any Choice Hotel, the service was very good. I wouldn't think twice about staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Parking a disaster, tiny spaces. Soda and ice machines in this parking area, open to the street. Soda machine not working. Awful lobby with no attendants unless you ring a bell. Very creepy because no one is there. Breakfast very bad: cheese crackers, cereal, boxed apples. They shouldn't bother. Lighting in the room terrible but we asked for a floor lamp and got one. No face cloths, had to ask for some. Smelly hallways and elevator. Never again.

Room Tip: We asked for a king suite and it was roomy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We at the Rodeway Inn & Suites try are hardest to make your stay a pleseant one. We never had so many complaints by one customer. Sorry for the inconveniences you have had at the Hotel. We try are hardest to satisfy all the customers. Some of the issues you stated like the parking situation we cannot fix but the solution is to park on the street adjacent to the building, it is free. The Ice machine and the Vending machine are located in the parking lot because of the ease for all the customers. The continental breakfast that we have consists of all the things a continental breakfast should have. And the last thing, we do have air freshners in the hallways.
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We got a good AAA rate online and the decent reviews encouraged me to try this. I liked initially that the motel had free parking (normally $13-30 in LA) and was a reasonable rate not using priceline or Hotwire.

We booked two nights but only stayed for one. It was not bad, but a bit depressing. Among the adequate things are: the shower works great, sinks are fine, and room an ok size. Parking is safe. Wifi works great. The so-so things are: lack of counter space to put any of your travel items, dinginess, depressing lighting (fluorescent), really hard beds (other reviews were not wrong about this), and prison pillows (next time i will bring my own), tough sheets (i know i only paid budget rates), really noisy fridge (which we disconnected), and slight disinfection smell (so we opened the window). Also, the location is on the border of Pasadena--it wasn't within walking distance--definitely a car motel.

my friend really didn't want to stay here a second night, so we booked another place for $10 more which we were much happier about. all the rodeways in the LA seem to get about 3/5 circles--so I guess this is what a 3 circle property is like. i think i learned to go to a 4 circle place minimum.

Room Tip: Bring your own sheets, pillows and towels (if you're driving) to make for a more luxurious exper...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Rodeway Inn your stay during your visit to our area.

We appreciate you for taking the time to write the review mentioning the nitty gritties which shall go a long way towards improvement.

We are thankful for mentioning all the positive sides and appreciating also the areas which you felt need for further improvement.

We have attended to all the amenities of each room. We also would like to inform you that we have taken all the steps to ensure that we provide a fine hospitality to all our guests.

You can count on us and choose us for your next stay and we are sure that you will not be disappointed.

California Hot Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel is in a good location on Colorado Blvd. just down the road from lots of eateries and shopping. The beds in the hotel were the hardest beds I have ever slept on. The continental breakfast consisted of a bowl of cereal and some fresh fruit. The permit in the elevator was expired and the lighting in the room was absolutely terrible. The room was clean and very spacious.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Rodeway Inn during your last visit to our area.

Thank you for appreciating the location and the cleanliness of the rooms. That is something more than we would like to hear from an esteemed guest like you.

At the same time we have taken note of your suggestions and have taken adequate steps to ensure that the furniture, air conditionings are in the finest condition.

We assure that we shall further do the very best to make your next stay at our hotel a memorable experience.

The next time you visit our area, please choose to stay at the Rodeway Inn and you shall be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Pasadena? Share your experiences!