“Great Room and Service- Pool is okay” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 South Oak Knoll Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Pasadena
Venice, California
“Great Room and Service- Pool is okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

We stayed at Ritz Carlton Kapulua and enjoyed it immensely, so when we had the opportunity to stay at the Ritz in Pasadena, we jumped at it. The Pasadena Ritz is no Kapulua Ritz, however, it is still lovely. The room is awesome with fluffy pillows and bedding. It was very comfortable. We always enjoyed the turn down service. The Pasadena RItz is not has huge as the Kapulua Ritz and seems a bit more suited for corporate events than family vacations. We were a bit disappointed with the pool because it is small and quite crowded, on the weekend. Lots of kids and families so very noisy. If you like quiet time, then try not to hang out by the pool.

We enjoyed the jazz at the bar on Sat. night, very delightful and soulful. All is all we were relaxed and enjoyed our experience at the Ritz.

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2006

We just returned from a three-day stay at The Rtiz following an extended vacation in San Diego. I had issues with the spa and pool area. First, the spa. The attendent made it very clear that she really didn't want to be there. She handed me my key to my locker and said "I will let you find it". I was not shown where the spa slippers were located so I had to walk around barefoot. I was not shown where any of the saunas, steam showers, etc were located so I had to walk aimlessly around the spa looking for them. The fresh fruit platter was not placed in The Carriage Room until late mid-morning after I had received my three spa treatments. I usually have fruit for breakfast and assumed there would be a platter available. My stomach growled throughout my massage. Enough about the spa...I wasn't impressed. The pool area was another issue. We had a hard time finding an availble lounge chair or lounge chair covers and now we know why. After stricking up conversations with several guests, we found out they were not guests at all. They lived in the neighborrhood where the hotel is located and were just "hanging out by the pool". Some even lived in LA and were just swimming because "the pool at their apartment complex is not as nice". I paid good money to stay there and I had to wait to get a chair while others didn't pay a dime and had the lounge chairs closest to the water all day long. My children ordered a sushi plate and cheese platter everyday we were at the pool even though it is not on the pool menu. Many guests asked where we got them so they might want to put this on the pool menu. Overall, the room was fine. There were no strange stains or odors and room service was always on time. The front desk, concierge and bell hops were attentive and cordial. My husband and I are serious "foodies" and we truly enjoyed The Dining Room. The quality of food was wonderful and the service was impecible. We enjoyed our stay, they just need to fine tune some things.

• Stayed July 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

My husband and I decided to stay at the Ritz Pasadena for our 1st-year anniversary. It was the first time we had ever stayed at a Ritz Carlton Hotel. Unfortunately, we picked a very busy weekend. There was a wedding taking place on the grounds, which made dropping our car off and retrieving the car from the hotel valet an absolute nightmare. The room was small, but had nice decor and a beautiful view of the pool. My husband decided to use the shoe-shine service and left his shoes outside our door to be picked up the night before. The next morning, we got beautifully shined shoes, but they weren't his. The hotel staff was apologetic and did finally bring his shoes. The package came with tickets to either the Huntington Museum or Norton Simon Museum. We had our hearts set on the Huntington, but the front desk had run out of tickets. The hotel staff finally agreed to reimburse our money if we paid for the tickets (which we did). Overall, our experience was average, at best. In my opinion, this particular hotel did not live up to the Ritz-Carlton name.

• Stayed September 2004
Schaumburg, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2006

Just got back from a 4-night business trip at the Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena. In my first room, I couldn't get an internet connection in my room so I had to change rooms. So between the two rooms I stayed in:
Calcium build up on every faucet/shower head.
Light bulbs were out in either closets or above the sink.
Lighted magnifying mirror would not light.
Cell phone coverage in the front part of the hotel was non-existant. Back of the hotel was fine.
Meeting rooms were lit so poorly, I couldn't believe it. Most had a musty odor, and bring a sweater, because the a/c is cranked up!
The hotel is smack in the middle of a residential area. If you want a diet coke, you can either buy one for $1.50 (for 10 oz) in the gift shop (when they are open) or take a taxi into town....or walk the two miles to civilization.
Had a wonderful massage at the spa, but there was moldy/rusty areas in the showers.
Food was so-so.
Check your bill when you leave, I had 4 days of a $25 parking fee, when I didn't have a car.
We had asked the concierge to either reserve a car service or cab to take us to the airport (LAX). We went to the porter, gave him the reservation name and he went and told the driver we were here. We were about 20 minutes into the drive when we figured out the driver was taking us to the Burbank airport and that we were in someone else's reserved car!
I have to say that I was not impressed and would never go back, especially on my own tab!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

I recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for 1 night and was thoroughly pleased with every aspect of the stay. We arrived at 3:15 pm and were immediately checked in. Our room was very large with two double beds, 2 lounge chairs, a big armoir, desk, expansive baathroom, hallway and closet. It was also in the wing of the hotel that had recently been remodeled. The pool area was very large although the pool itself wasn't as large as you would expect of a high caliber hotel such as the Ritz. The pool bar is very nice and everyone at the pool were very fast to attend to you. One attendant even went to the trouble of washing a pool towel for me! We then went up to the club room on the 8th floor which is always very enjoyable. It is a room that you can only access if you stay on the 8th floor that serves five different services of food each day: Continental Breakfast, Light Snacks, Afternoon Tea, Hors d'Oeuvres and Chocolates. The Terrace restaurant downstairs is very nice with a terrace that looks out onto the pool area which is very nice at night but not so nice during the day when everybody is out swimming. The food was very nice and well presented but also quite spendy ($30-40 per person). When we got back to our room we discovered that the room service had come and turned down our beds. The bathroom was entirely done in marble with a large sink area (the blowdryer was provided), large bathtub and shower with a semi-separate WC. In the morning we went to the Terrace restaurant which we discovered was closed for Sunday breakfast and were then shooed off to tthe Dining Room restaurant where they were offering a buffet. All in all it was a very enjoyable stay and I will absolutely come back. I reccomend this hotel to people looking for a luxurious, carefree getaway.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

We decided to stay at the Ritz last minute to extend our visit with friends who were staying there. The rooms are very nice, beds comfortable and beautiful furnishings. We were quoted one price on the phone and at check out, charged another, after calling they did rectify. We ordered pina colodas at the pool which took over an hour and were retrieved by my husband, not served to us. The staff was polite, but overwhelmed and under trained and the entire facility felt understaffed for a busy Memorial Day weekend. Overall, service was lacking, the pool was too small and unimpressive for a such a grand hotel in such a warm climate.

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

Have stayed several times over the past 3 months for business. Beautiful hotel with great service. From valet, front desk, room service... everyone is very friendly and helpful. Free workout room has many machines, some free weights, and work out classes. Valet parking is 25$/night. I don't think there is a self-park. Free internet and printing in business center. In room wireless and wired internet 9.95/day. Beds have down comforters and down pillow top, which are very comfortable. The pool is very nice. Will be planning to go back soon!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to The Langham Huntington, Pasadena? Share your experiences!