“Great for Newlyweds” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great for Newlyweds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed at the Langham for the couple of days leading up to/after our wedding. The service was superb--they upgraded our room to a corner suite and laid out rose petals and chocolates on the bed! They also gave us a voucher for a free meal at the bar. The decor of the hotel is gorgeous, and the the grounds are expansive and peaceful. I felt a little out of place as someone who doesn't make six figures, but it was delightful nonetheless.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Great hotel, great food, definitely recommend. Location was perfect for us. We never had stayed at a Langham and will return. Beautiful property. Staff was excellent. Because we stayed at the cottages we were far from the property but had the privacy. It made it a bit difficult for luggage to be picked up at our departure

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Warren, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A beautiful hotel, historic and lovingly maintained. Located in southern Pasadena among gorgeous homes, this hotel is a real star especially with a business rate. The employees seem to be proud of the hotel and after just a few nights, I am recognized by name. The pool is my favorite-olympic sized and clean, very private in the morning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife, 16 year old son and I spent two delightful evenings at The Langham Huntington in March, 2014. I recommend the hotel.

This stay developed differently than I first expected. After poking about on the hotel website, I decided to reserve a one bedroom Langham Club suite for the wife and I, and a double Club level room for our son. About a week before our arrival, I received a call from Taryn Wolfe, the Guest Services Manager at The Langham Huntington (who’s mentioned favorably in other Tripadvisor reviews, I now note). Taryn suggested that perhaps my family and I might be more comfortable with the two-bedroom Shamrock Cottage (at the same rate we would have paid for the two rooms).

I was a little worried about whether the cottages were in the same state of renovation as the hotel (for no particular reason), but after being assured that they had been renovated just a recently as the main building, I decided to take the plunge. Boy, am I glad I did.

Shamrock Cottage was delightful, and met our needs extremely well. The Cottage itself is made up of two accommodations – our two-bedroom unit, and an adjoining single room (which can be combined with our unit so that the Cottage becomes a three bedroom space).

Our unit had a very spacious foyer with a nicely appointed half bath, and a galley style fully equipped kitchen, supplied with cooking pots and pans, utensils, dinnerware, and glassware. You could live in the unit very easily.

The living room is vast – by itself, it’s bigger than many one bedroom hotel suites. It had a dining table (that could seat six), two large couches and an easy chair. There was a working fireplace (gas, I think). The room was very well lit (with both natural light during the day, and lamps in the evening). It was so comfortable, that I almost began to wish that we were spending an extra couple days there.

Our master bedroom was also vast – a separate bay window area with a desk and two easy chairs, a king sized bed, a walk-in closet and then built in closet and storage space that was probably larger than what I have at home. The second bedroom was also nicely sized – albeit more in the size of a typical large hotel room.

The master bath was perhaps the only weak point. It had only one sink, and a tub/shower combo. The sliding glass doors to the tub/shower were sticky, making them hard to close. The bathroom for the off bedroom was, strangely, nicer, with two sinks and a separate shower.

The lighting throughout the cottage was very good. The linens and bedding were at the deluxe level. Our bed was extremely comfortable. And, the HVAC worked perfectly.

All told, Shamrock Cottage was one of nicest lodgings we’d stayed in for a while – and for us, that’s saying something.

The cottage came with Club level privileges, so we ate breakfast there both mornings (it was good – if perhaps the seating was a little more cramped than I might prefer). I negotiated with Ms. Wolfe to be allowed to self-park in surface parking outside the cottage – thus sparing us from having to valet (and to pay for valet parking). I think that, alone, made the cottage worth it.

The hotel concierge made dinner arrangements for us one evening in Pasadena – the reservations were handled appropriately. Ms Wolfe also asked if she could arrange anything else for us, and when I mentioned that we like to hike in our conversations before our arrival, she presented us when we checked in with information about local hiking options (alas, we didn’t get a chance to try them out, but I have them for next time).

I didn’t get much of a chance to explore the hotel itself – although since we prefer smaller properties anyway, the cottage gave us more of a “San Ysidro Ranch” feel than a large multi-story property (which the main building certainly constitutes) around us. It was enough for us to have our little oasis.

I think I can safely say that what made this stay for us was the attentive and responsive service offered by Ms. Wolfe. In that regard, her service was better than the service of any single staff member at the Hotel Bel-Air, which was our next stop. Nicely done.

I’d gladly return – and my first call will be to Taryn Wolfe.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
LanghamPasadena, Manager at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear OrrvilleRedRider,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena with us. It is wonderful to hear that you found the service you received to be “attentive and responsive” and I am thrilled that you were so impressed by the attention to detail at the Hotel. I will be sure to share your kind words with our entire team, especially noting your compliments of our Guest Services Manager, Taryn Wolfe.

Again, it’s wonderful to hear from you here on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back in what we hope is the very near future.

Best regards,
Oro Valley, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

A friend and I ended up at the Langham late at night after a reservation snafu elsewhere. We'd chosen it from severely limited options, but were beyond thrilled when we arrived. The hotel beautiful throughout, from the foyer to the individual rooms.

The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. There was a slight delay in finding our reservation, so we were rewarded with an upgraded room with a patio. The bed linens were luxurious and the bed incredibly comfortable. We had to leave early in the morning for our business, and were delighted to be asked if we wanted to order breakfast along with our wake-up call. Our breakfast arrived right on time, and was delicious.

We had an excellent late-night supper in the beautifully-appointed Tap Room. Ordinarily, I avoid hotel restaurants, but I would return here for a meal anytime.

Our only regret was that we hadn't chosen this hotel originally, and had more time to enjoy it. I have already told my husband we're staying here on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jeanne,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena.
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit—and thank you for wonderfully sharing the details from your stay, as well as your visit to The Tap Room.

Again, thank you—we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We are deeply disappointed by Langham Pasadena’s lacklustre service after making a mistake on our booking. Our expectations for a 5-star hotel were very much misplaced. We had booked two Deluxe Rooms online and received email confirmation. Despite arriving at the hotel with a printed confirmation, the hotel receptionist informed us that our booking could not be found, and that she could try to secure another two rooms for us, but at a higher rate.

We pursued further and she advised that this was probably due to a system glitch and suggested for us to follow-up on this with her manager during the day as she was on night shift. We were reluctant to settle for this arrangement as the email confirmation had our credit card details and clearly showed the details of the rooms reserved and the rate we had gotten. We insisted for the counter officer to redouble her efforts in finding our booking, being afraid that the hotel would bill us for no-show on our original booking on top of the additional booking.

After much back and forth, the receptionist finally “discovered” our booking and justified her confusion with the mismatch of the first and last names of the guests between our online booking and our passports. We found this unacceptable. Regardless of names, we had produced the confirmation email and there were so many other ways to locate this booking (booking date, confirmation number etc). The officer should have taken that seriously and investigate further instead of brushing it aside and make an unverified assumption of system glitch. What is the point of sending us so many confirmation emails (Confirmation Number: 27405SB133303 and 23725921) when your system is only able to locate a booking with the first name? Moreover, we have checked in at about 10pm and if this was a first-class front desk counter, they would be expecting our arrival as most of the reservations for that day would have been completed by that time!

We expect an explanation as to why the printed confirmation did not suffice to prove that we have made the booking. We were already on an exhausting business trip and we chose Langham Pasadena due to its reputation for excellent and efficient service. After going through all the hassle just to secure rooms which we had already booked – something a basic hotel would be able handle properly – we are extremely displeased and are thus offering an opposing viewpoint.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
LanghamPasadena, Manager at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Alicia,

Thank you for taking the time to relate your experience at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena and for sharing your candid feedback with us. We value your feedback as it allows our establishment to maintain exceptional levels of service by identifying potential problem areas and correcting them. On behalf of The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointments you encountered. On a personal note, it is a great professional disappointment when The Langham Huntington, Pasadena fails to deliver the unparalleled level of exceptional service we strive so hard to achieve. It is definitely unacceptable that our Front Desk could not locate your reservation with the confirmation numbers you provided. Please be assured I have shared your experience with our entire Front Desk team who have undergone re-training to ensure this does not occur in the future.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future to experience our regular levels of seamless hospitality.

honolulu, hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The Langham Pasadena is that rare unstuffy 5-star. Gorgeous rooms, grounds and pool and a great staff! It was a busy 4th of July weekend, and Karen, front desk manager, went out of her way to place my daughter and me in 2 large,elegant rooms at the very far, very quiet end of the hotel for the same price as the double we had booked. When the wifi turned out to be weak, she had IT bring a separate router to the room. Great job, Karen!
And all the staff -greeters, valets, pool, restaurant- so well trained and personable. And a special kudo to housekeeping - spotless! And yes - great beds. I think they have a 2 inch featherbed over the mattress.
A great stay at a superb hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!