“Good location but let down by some of the staff and extra charges.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Pasadena

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Pasadena
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good location but let down by some of the staff and extra charges.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Los Angeles without a car can be difficult as no one walks anywhere, which was why we booked this hotel for me as I wasn't going to be hiring one for my week's trip, and it is a short walk into Pasadena with as many shops, restaurants and entertainment as anyone could want. If I had had a car though, the cost of parking at the hotel, even for residents would probably have ruled this hotel out. When you are paying that much for a room, it would be infuriating to have to pay so much for parking, and also for WiFi. So many hotels have free WiFi nowadays so to have to pay every day was irritating.
The attitude of some of the staff was also disappointing. At one point they discovered that they had made an accounting error but instead of just telling me, they blocked my key card, even though I was still in credit for the time I'd been there so far. When I traipsed back to reception, I was at first treated as if I was trying to cheat them, even though they eventually admitted it was their error. I received no apology however.
They were also doing building work, or refurbishing some of the rooms whilst I was there, so three times I had to complain that there was loud hammering and drilling in adjacent rooms. Starting early in the morning, sometimes well into the evening and even on a Sunday. I obviously wasn't in my room all the time, but sometimes had to return to it to rest as I have been unwell. Once I was offered a complimentary breakfast as compensation but felt that more should have been done to repair the damage.
On the positive side, my room was very nice with the most comfortable bed I've ever had in a hotel. The maid who serviced my room (Emma) and the staff at the little Starbucks cafe were lovely and made up in some part for the attitude of other members of staff.
I'm afraid I won't be staying at this hotel the next time I come to LA, which is a shame as it really is in the perfect location both for leisure and my family close by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HiltonPasadena, General Manager at Hilton Pasadena, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Please allow me to thank you for your comments. Our hotel’s proximity to the Old Town Pasadena with its historic buildings and wonderful shops and restaurants is definitely a plus for our guests. As far as parking, the hotel rates are comparable to the nearby hotels. For your future information, the city provides a temporary pass for parking on the streets overnight which can be purchased ahead of time ($3.00 per night). As part of our improvement plans for the hotel, there will be internet connectivity stations in the lobby; currently we offer complimentary wi-fi access in the lobby; as well as in the guest rooms for the members of our Hilton Honors rewards program. Its free to join and I highly recommend it to enjoy additional wonderful perks.
I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the noise in the adjacent rooms. As far as the service you received from the front desk, there is no excuse for making you feel that way. I can assure you that this was an isolated incident, as the Front Desk staff has been known to provide that warm hospitality to every guest every time which I’m very proud of; on the other hand, I’m very glad to hear Emma and the Starbucks staff made your experience positively memorable; I will certainly give recognition to them.
My staff and I hope you give us another opportunity to welcome you back next time you come to Los Angeles and Pasadena.

HILTON PASADENA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I would never recommend this hotel and will not return to stay in this place in the future. Valid parking is $21 per night and We were placed in a 3rd floor room. Room#301. This room is facing the kitchen fan on top of the roof. There is a really loud disturbing noise through out the night. It's like airplane take off right next to us. The hotel room is fairly old with the pop corn ceiling and need serious remodel. I talked the customer service. They shut down the kitchen fan around 12:30am and the fan was starting again around 5am in the morning. We drove all the way down from SF and could not even get a quite room. We switched to the 2nd room with higher level but still can hear the noise. Then 3rd room which was facing the street view without the kitchen fan noise but the two lamps by the bed were not working. I could not read my book before sleeping and the room decor was much older the the previous room that we stayed. Pop corn ceiling and old carpet. Front desk offer two breakfast to us. However, I will never return to this place any more.
This is the most terrible hotel experience ever in my life with Hilton.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the side which facing the kitchen fan. Do not stay in lower level.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hilton Pasadena Hotel. My staff and I can certainly appreciate having a restful night’s sleep and please accept my sincere apologies for the noise inconvenience from the fan and the bedside lamps. Regarding the physicality of the hotel, our company is about to commence a phase in the improvement plans scheduled with a completion time of two years; so while it didn’t help your stay this time around, we hope you give us another chance on your future travels to Pasadena.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Montrose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel is near Paseo (shopping center), restaurants, and Gelson's (terrific grocery store). All walking distance. I've stayed here 3 or 4 times. The first few times, it was great. The room was spacious. The last time, we were in a smaller, accessible room. The bathroom door was a sliding one. The kind that doesn't lock. It was pain to keep sliding that door. The shower was a pain, too, because it didn't drain well, and since it was an accessible room, there was no barrier between the shower and the rest of the bathroom. Wet bathroom floors are not fun.

Anyway, not sure why they stuck us in an accessible room with an inconvenient sliding bathroom door. Probably because I didn't pay full price. I'm sure they had better king rooms not occupied. They didn't look busy at all.

Four stars because for what I paid, I guess it wasn't a big deal. Can't really beat the location, though there is a Westin on the other side of Colorado that is much nicer overall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
First off I certainly appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton Pasadena Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced on your recent stay. We strive to fill every guest’s request for room accommodations. However rest assured the room type was not related to the price you might have paid. We will check the drainage in those rooms. I thank you for pointing it out.
My staff and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel over thanksgiving for 3 nights. My partner and I were very happy with rooms - large, comfortable beds with nice clean bathroom and great air con.
Room service was pricey, but great food.

I was extremely dissapointed with the front desk staff and their lack of organization and liaising with other staff members when it came to delivering a package to us.
We were notified the night before check-out that we had a package which had been delivered, waiting at the front desk. We went to collect it upon check-out and no one had any idea what we were talking about.
I waited more than half hour at the desk while they called everyone in the hotel, searched every drawer, looked in the cloak room (and took me in there 3 times to double check) and searched their offices...
All it would have taken was some organization and proper handling, for me to receive the package.
... I left the hotel without it, and they took my details and said they would call when they found it... I'm still waiting for the phone call, and it's now mid December...
If I ignored this mishap I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
San Clemente, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I travel pretty extensively for business. I was rather excited to take this trip to Pasadena as I was going to be staying in a revitalized part of down town. While the shops and restaurants were fantastic, the Hilton here is less impressive. I don't know if it was the odd appearance of what was probably, at some point, a kichen area or wet bar, now stripped to it's barest in appearance, or the odd, institutional look of the bathroom.....hotel kind of had a creepy feel. The staff were all lovely and very helpful. Not impressed with the suite.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonPasadena, General Manager at Hilton Pasadena, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
First and foremost, I truly appreciate your taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us. Your comments on the odd appearance of the lobby bar and bathroom is well taken and will be addressed during our next renovation. Secondly, I’m always happy to hear our staff was lovely and very helpful, and it makes me tremendously proud of them and the service they provide. Lastly, I hope you consider the Pasadena Hilton again on your next travel plans to Pasadena, and my staff and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Happy Holidays
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. The room had a balcony and was very comfortable. The in room coffee was Lavaza, my favorite. The room service was also good. I did call the front desk to swap out my iron for one with a burst of steam but they don't have those in the hotel. The breakfast was delicious, I would recommend the buffet. My co-worker and I ordered off the menu, a cheese omelette and pancakes, which came to nearly $40.00. a little expensive but the food was awesome. You will really like this hotel and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
What wonderful comments on your experience, thank you! It makes me very proud of our culinary staff knowing you had an awesome dining experience in room service and breakfast. They will certainly receive kudos from me. So happy to hear you really like our hotel and staff, we look forward to your return.

Happy Holidays,

Irvine, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here in Nov 2012 while visiting USC. The hotel is located in a relatively quite area close to the downtown. It is an older property that has either been well maintained or renovated fairly recently. The room was quiet and comfortable and room service was fast and the food freshly prepared. I had a burger for dinner that was juicy and clearly hand formed from fresh ground meat, rather than a premade patty. Breakfast was similarly good. There are no strong negatives other than the cost of parking and the lack of free internet (unless you are an Hhonors member which I am). These days, I feel strongly that all properties should offer free interet since many of the midrange hotels do (including Hilton Garden Inns, for example). I didn't appreciate paying $18 to park either but this is not a Hilton-specific problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HiltonPasadena, General Manager at Hilton Pasadena, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We very much appreciate your taking the time to write a wonderful review of your recent experience at the Hilton Pasadena Hotel. Our Executive Chef, his Culinary Team, and I feel very proud to hear about your positive dining experience.
Our hotel is continually going through some refinements and renovation, and I’m pleased to know you noticed. One of the refinements we are addressing is the internet service, which we hope will happen soon. As far as the parking, our rates are comparable to other hotels.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,