“Decent Hotel, Poorly Trained Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Pasadena
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Decent Hotel, Poorly Trained Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a perfectly fine hotel, though it doesn't seem to be run as efficiently as the Hilton just a quarter mile away. The rooms are fine, but the check-in guy was incompetent. First thing out of his mouth when I went up to the desk was "Well, let me see if we have anything available; we're full you know" (not what anyone wants to hear when they've got a reserved reservation). He also mumbled something about "you're on the Club floor, so that's nice," but didn't explain what that means (2 days into my stay, I discovered it meant that there was a free breakfast available, as well as an evening reception!). Finally, he made a big deal about how they're now a very "green" hotel and no longer print statements to deliver to your door at checkout. When I explained that I need such a thing for business documentation, he said, "Oh, we can do it on request - do you want to request this?" I indicated "yes," yet they still didn't do it at checkout (meaning I had to stand in line with my luggage for 10 minutes at checkout just to get a receipt... and then (ironically for a "green" hotel), they didn't print front/back and, instead, printed it on multiple 1-sided sheets! One other little thing... when making a reservation on the Sheraton website, the confirmation doesn't indicate that they charge an additional $18 for parking. The nearby Westin, Courtyard, and Hilton are all much more "up front" about this. Having stayed at these other nearby hotels, I have to say that the Westin and Hilton are both much more efficiently run - at least from a staff training standpoint.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Experience l, Manager at Sheraton Pasadena, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thanks for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

If there's one abiding memory of Sheraton, Pasadena it is how difficult it was to find.
OK maybe my fault for turning up in a rental car without GPS but to be fair, two Californians coming to meet me also ran into the same issues.
Parking was a whole other matter as the (pricey) multi-level parking structure also serves the Pasadena Convention Center but when I managed to find a spot within 5 minutes walk of the hotel entrance I felt I had won a bonus - and the cheerful bell-boy who moved my bags in and out deserved the $10 tip.
The room was ... well 'odd' is the only term. The door was tucked away in a little corner near the elevator. It was two weeks ago and I've been in several hotels before and since so forget whether it was 243 or 423 but there was a mini corridor (and large closet) behind the front door and then a very large bedroom at the end of that and then a further door to the large bathroom.
Facilities were all working just fine - the view from the window was of other walls but I could have cared less as I was there for a function at the very nearby Convention Center. I also took a 20 minute late evening stroll to a Whole Foods - which could have been a ten minute stroll had the concierge given me better directions.
Staff were all pleasant and friendly. I booked well ahead with Expedia but if location is not too significant there are possibly better deals to be had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while in Pasadena for an event at the convention center. The hotel was just a few steps from the Exhibit Hall we were in so that we were easily able to walk with all our stuff from the con center to the room. The room was large and very comfortable with everything in sparkling clean and in excellent condition. The first night, the desk staff was kind of so-so, but after that every staff member we encountered provided excellent service. We were on the club floor and found those amenities very nice. I have only two complaints. When we checked in, we were not given any information about the club floor and lounge, hours for breakfast and evening reception, etc. Specifics would have been nice and more consistent with the good service we encountered later. The other caveat is ask for a room away from the club lounge. We were two doors down, and the noise of the door latch banging as people went in and out for breakfast kept us awake both mornings we were there. (Also some guests were very loud in the hallway one morning, but that is not the hotels fault. Apparently their mamas did not teach them about using inside voices in public spaces and that they should not assume their group are the only people in the hotel.) Finally, the location is wonderful for the rest of Pasadena. You can walk to lots of restaurants and shopping. The Paseo is just across the street, with shops, restaurants, a movie theater, and a wonderful grocery with a bakery and deli. Plus there is a lovely plaza to just sit and relax. The bottom line is that we would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms right next to the lounge on the club floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed here and received great customer service. Everyone was very friendly. When we wanted our room changed to one with a balcony they pleasantly accommodated us.

The restaurant staff were all very kind. The buffet breakfast was excellent and would recommend it to everyone! There was a huge selection and all tasted very good. A great way to begin anyone's day.

The rooms were clean and even though we accidentally spilled red wine on the carpet the stain was gone the next morning with the room cleaning. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in!!! This makes me give it a 5 rating in itself!! I slept so well!

We also found the location was so close to shopping and many, many restaurants!! Also 2 locations of Star Bucks within walking distance! It was also on site for the convention we were attending so we hardly had any walking to go to meetings.

I would definitely stay here again if I'm ever in the area!

Room Tip: Ask for room with a balcony! :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We exhibited at a function at the Pasadena Center and stayed at the Sheraton, it is so easy and so convenient and a really pleasant hotel too. One word of warning, if you are given an even numbered room on the ground floor, ask to see it before you commit, those rooms have the bath and closet just inside the door, then 4 or 5 steps down to the room. The landing inside the door does not even have room to set up the luggage rack to unpack. And the sliding door/window opens at ground level. I called customer service and spoke with a very nice young man named Mike C. and he was fabulous, he said they would move us right away, just go to the desk and get a key to another room. He made a negative situation into a positive experience. We have stayed here before and always been exceptionally pleased, the hotel is well maintained, the staff is great and the location is unbeatable, just a block from a major shopping mall with shops and restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel is far above the average hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms with even numbers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We booked our annual firm event at the Sheraton and were impressed with how friendly and accommodating the entire staff was, especially our event coordinator, Debbie Flores. She really went above and beyond to make sure our entire weekend went well. My bosses were highly impressed. From our business meetings to hotel rooms and parking, everything was handled very quickly and efficiently. The rooms were clean, spacious, and modern for the hotel class. Early check-in for everyone was not a problem at all. We also used the free shuttle service to take us to a spa and that was very easy too. Overall, if you are thinking of having an event, I would not hesitate to recommend Sheraton for the city center location, staff, and venue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel was clean and functional and has a great location. Next to convention center, downtown shopping and night life and close to the metro. It is not pretty on the outside but decent on the inside. Employees nice but reservation desk lacking. We were suppose to have club level and were initially put in a 2nd floor room (the club lounge is on the 3rd floor) where an air conditioner unit and ugly wall were out our window. They did relocate us to the 3rd floor but then in a single bed room. Then they immediately did change us to a double on club level. Relocating our stuff by ourselves twice after an 8 hour drive is no fun. Did not use the club lounge as much as I thought so I would think twice about paying a lot more for that.

Check you bill. We were charged 3 times each day for wi-fi (roughly $90) ,even though it was included in our package. We checked out on Sunday and 2 days later there is $700 in pending charges for our stay. I really only owe little more than $400 hundred for our stay. I called yesterday and they said the amounts should be released soon. So I will see what Sheraton soon means.

I did think the rooms seemed clean even though I had to call for maid service at 6PM after we had been out of our room all day.

This place needs to pay attention more and up their customer service.

Room Tip: Choose an upper level location or you could be face to face with a concrete wall and ugly back alley...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback!

Been to Sheraton Pasadena? Share your experiences!