“First Class Hotel, One of the Best Westins in California” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Pasadena
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“First Class Hotel, One of the Best Westins in California”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was here over the weekend before Christmas and used it as a "staycation" to explore Pasadena by foot. I had not been to Pasadena in over 20 years and had hoped to use the hotel as a base for exploration by foot. True to plan it worked out that way, even when the skies looked threatening and I felt it may start to rain, the hotel was close enough to everything near Colorado Blvd. to make it back to the hotel drop free! The hotel is nice with one of the best Westin workout facilities I have seen. The pool was heated even though I didn't use it. Service is also first class. Why not 5 stars? Like previous reviewers, I felt housekeeping misses things in the room: no laundry bag in the closet and plenty of signs of poor dusting skills. Also, I don't think the hotel was full, but it seemed like I waited 3-4 minutes every time for the elevator. I would definitely return here again and highly recommend the facility.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your review and the kind remarks. I am happy that we home away from home during your staycation. Regarding the housekeeping services of your room, I assure you that we are working everyday to be better. We have heard the feedback and are addressing it. I hope that when you decide to stay in Pasadena instead of traveling, that you once again chose the Westin Pasadena.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Glendale Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

If you want old school charm, this is the place. Staying in this hotel made me feel like I was a movie star in the 50's . The rooms were comfortable and pleasing to the eye. They had a very nice pool deck out back for those that enjoy that sort of thing. The staff was very helpful without being intrusive. About the only wonky thing about the hotel was the limited parking garage... Other than that, this place was truly spectacular.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for you kind words and I am glad that you were charmed by our hotel. I hope that you will come back soon. I would also like to help you simplify the "wonkiness" of the parking. We suggest that all of our guest valet park. It is relatively inexpensive and easier that manuevering the garage. The City of Pasadena actually owns and operates the parking in Pasadena, so it really is easier just you use our valet.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Nice hotel right in the middle of downtown Pasadena. Close to shopping center, movies, restaurants, etc. Stayed here via Snique Away discounted rate. Room temp was not adjustable and got very warm in the middle of the night. Also sink backed up and was not fixed even after we reported it. Otherwise OK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I hope that we have another opportunity of welcoming you back to stay with us. You did not indicate if you alerted us to the "defects" in your room. I trust that had you, we would have done our best to care for you.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

You pay quite a lot for internet at the Westin Pasadena, but that's not the only thing: in fact, it seemed as if my room was stuffed with signs saying that I could order this or that for 'only' $XX. The room itself was not all that clean: the desk was dusty and the windows were smeared, though this meant simply that my view of the parking garage not far away was a little less than clear. My main complaint about the Westin was the unfriendliness of one of the reception staff. She checked me in and later in my stay answered some questions about local shopping etc.: a frosty chill blew forth from her on each occasion, taking the edge of my few days in warm sunshine and palm-tree surroundings. Despite all of this, the Westin was comfortable (excellent bed, but a duvet so heavy it would almost have kept out the arctic chill of the reception staff!) and it was well-located in Pasadena. I think one could do a lot worse, but it would make sense to shop around to see what else your money can buy - and whether the 'extras' like internet and breakfast cost less than they do here. Be aware that there is quite a lot of road noise: I was on the 9th floor facing the 'quiet side', and I could still hear it with the window closed and a/c running.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up; otherwise the road noise might bother you.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am disappointed that your reception was "cool" from our staff. It is our brand promise to make you feel welcomed and valued as a guest. I am using your comments for training our associates. I hope that when you return to our hotel, you will not find us "typically American".
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a difficult review to write. I have stayed at this hotel several times, and have had several different types of rooms. During this stay we were upgraded to a very nice balcony room overlooking the courtyard and pool. The room is very clean and has a nice big bathroom with lots of soft towels. There was a small wet bar that was very nice. Oddly, the small refrigerator free stands in the room. It was a bit noisy and really appeared out of place in such an nice room.
The location in Pasadena, is near Colorado Blvd, and is near shopping and lots of eateries.
Now the difficult, but honest, part; The room, was also very quiet...until sunrise. This is our second time staying in a room that faced the courtyard and both experiences were similar. During this stay there were people in the pool at 8 AM in the morning splashing and screaming as they played. I realize that 8AM is not that early, however this was a weekend and we get away to relax. It just seemed a little early for a pool to open. The night before there were people partying in the Jacuzzi until late, There is a church playground adjacent to the courtyard. During services the playground is is full of children playing and making lots of noise, Its only the noise factor that was disturbing. Again, when getting away for some down time, this wasn't the greatest experience.
One last request to the hotel, from those of us who need a dark room to sleep. Please install blackout drapes over the inexpensive shutters. Evening exterior lighting and the morning sun kept our room fully lighted 24 hours. We probably wont be back to this hotel for a while and only if we are able to secure a room away from the courtyard.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing courtyard and/or the pool. Rooms facing east are much quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the good and the difficult. There are many locations of rooms in our hotel that offer a unique experience. Please let us know when you are planning to return as we have rooms that will fulfill your requests, quiet locations and black out drapes. I uncderstand the need for rejuvenation and relaxation and will be happy to accommodate you.
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had travelled for 37 hours when we arrived at the hotel and were consequently very tired. We had a drink prior to going out and were impressed by the service of Diego and Urban. They were friendly and helpful, without being obsequious. That evening we dined early and found the food and service to be first class.

As strangers to Los Angeles we were unsure about some items on the menu when we dined the following day and Diego was quick to explain and recommend dishes we might enjoy. He was right on the mark! He also shared some detail about his home country of Ecuador with us and was genuinely interested in our experiences and our life in New Zealand.

Although aspects of the hotel experience were less than perfect - the room was dusty on arrival and there was no refridgerator or minibar - these were more than made up for by the general ambience of the establishment. Guests we saw were happy and smiling as were the large number of young children guests. Staff wore beaming smiles on their faces and there was an air of Christmas cheer in the lobby ten days out from the occasion.

If you are prepared to accept the fact that the hotel is aging gracefully, and are used to a high level of friendly, efficient staff, then Westin Pasadena is the place for you

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Your remarks are kind and welcomed. Our staff genuinely care for our guests and enjoy making people feel at home. I hope that we have an opportunity of welcoming you back tot he Westin Pasadena.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed here for 6 night and only requested for cleansing twice. However, the 2nd time they bleach my clothes put near the tub and left some detergent uncleaned on the tub margin area. My husband told the receptionist. The woman was benign...however!!!! The manager was really impolite...we took the photo and also showed him the clothes. BUT he said "he can't remember if they use GREEN COLOR detergent". We don't want anything except an apology only..BTW, the towels were not clean!! we choose the hotel because it's a 4-star hotel, and it's closed to the apartments we want to release for next one year....I'm really unsatisfied with their attitude about it!!

• Stayed December 2012
I am truly sorry that your experience with us was less than satisfactory and that my representative did not fully understand the difficulty of your situation. I have spoken with him and he also apologizes for your interaction.

Been to The Westin Pasadena? Share your experiences!