“Very nice hotel, but expected more” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Pasadena
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lake Arrowhead, California
“Very nice hotel, but expected more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our second stay at the Westin. What stood out both times was the friendliness of the front desk staff and the comfort of the beds--really nice! We also enjoyed the extra large flat-screen tv.

There were several things that I didn't like, however. One is that a hotel of this caliber lacks some things other hotels that aren't as nice freely provide. For example, while there was coffee, there was no mini-bar, mini refrigerator nor microwave. Connecting to the hotel's wireless costs $11.95 per day. Also, the layout of the room just didn't make sense. The coffee was squeezed inbetween two closets, which were right next to the bed--very inconvenient. The entry way was a large, unused space and the bathroom was small with little counter and shelf space. Surely there is a better design for the room for the same sqare footage!

Are these little complaints enough to keep me from returning here? No--it's a nice hotel, in a good location with a very competitive price. I just expected a little more from a hotel with the Westin name.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for chosing the Westin Pasadena on your return trip to Pasadena. I am glad that you found our staff friendly and welcoming. And our signature bed is one of the best in the industry. I appreciate your input on the layout of the rooms and will certainly 'bubble that up' to the powers that be. I hope that when your travles being you back to Pasadena, you chose once again to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is in Pasadena which in itself is a big plus. Parking garage is handy. The room we had is fairly small. I have stayed there many times and had larger rooms. This time I purchased through Priceline and I'm guessing they give Priceline customers smaller rooms. Not sure. I will go back since the location is so great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I assure you that we do not assign our Priceline guest to lower grade rooms. We do have several tiers of rooms that may not have been been available on the web at the time that you booked. I urge you to visit our branded website to see the variety of rooms that we offer. We appreciate your patronage and hoe that you chose to stay with us again.
Westborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have been to half a dozen hotels in Pasadena and think this is by far the best of the chain hotels. My wife and I visited our daughter (a college student) for a long weekend and were treated very well by staff. Our stay was extended by a day because of our inability to make it back to the east coast because of the storm, the staff was extremely accomodating, no problem staying later, very helpful in multiple ways.
Car was always brought up promptly, the one breakfast we had was very good.
Only complaint is the bathroom (quite spacious), could use more shelving.
Convenient to Old Town (restauarnts and shopping).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the kind words. Our staff pride themselves in the care and service that they offer to our guests. Since you travel frequently to Pasadena, I hope that you will chose us agin for your next trip. Please also let us know if there is anything that we can do to make your stay more comfortable.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights and the hotel is generally clean and nice, as one would expect from a Westin. Hotel staff is friendly enough, though not exactly going that extra mile. The one thing we liked the most is their shuttle service to Old Town Pasadena, where all the shops and restaurants are. We find that to be fabulous, as we don't have to drive our car and look for parking. There are many great restaurants once you get to Old Town and you can easily walk around, shop and dine there.

One caution about the hotel restaurant, we had breakfast there one morning, the food was not good at all. It was not even airplane standards. I would recommend going to a McDonalds, or go to one of the many nice cafes at Old Town for breakfast, do not eat anything at the hotel restaurant.

Another caution - this hotel charges for parking, and overnight street parking is not possible. Be sure to factor this into your total cost.

But all in all, this hotel is a good clean place, the rooms are fine with nice linens, and the staff is reasonably friendly, though not very warm. The shuttle service is convenient. I will stay here again if I am in Pasadena.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your time and the specific feedback that you gave us. While I am glad that you were happy overall with the hotel and services, I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in the restaurant. We generally receive very favorable comments on our food and service. I hope that next time you will give us another try. We do charge for parking, but we keep it affordable and comparatively inexpensive. I look forward to your next trip to Pasadena.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Pasadena in November 2012.

The rate I received on the hotel website for CAA(AAA) member was $ 129! and I was treated like any other guest even at this low rate. The front desk person was most helpful and found a quiet room on a high floor as I had requested.

I find the service friendly, particularly the concierge desk.

The room had a view of City Hall, quiet and newly renovated. The room was not big, but comfortable enough.The bedding, pillows and mattress were most comfortable. Everything was spotless. There was s room safe and complimentary Starbucks coffee. There is an internet charge however like many large hotel chains ( very strange tradition by many large hotel chains because even most small inexpensive hotels and B&B's have free wifi) , but at $ 129, how can I possibly complain?

The parking is $9 self park which is just around the corner and a few dollars more for valet which has in and out privileges. Please do not park overnight on the street as we ended up with a parking ticket of over $ 40, and there was no sign on the street that overnight parking was not allowed.

I did not eat at the hotel but it is close to Old Town which has many restaurants.

I will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for chosing the Westin Pasadena for your recent stay in Pasadena. I hope that all of our guest are welcomed the same regardless of the rate that they are charged. I am proud that our staff is caring and courteous. You can also depend on the branded products that differentiate Westin from other brands. Old Town has many wonderful restaurants, but I do encourage you to take advantage of the convenience of eating in the hotel. I hope to see you when you return to Pasadena.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A good value at $179 per night although the valet fee brings this up to nearly $200 a night. Service is good, rooms are very comfortable and when we had to shorten our stay by a day there was no problem.

• Stayed November 2012
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will stay with us again when traveling to Pasadena.
Antioch, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

shower sprayed water all over the tub. used a towel from the gym to sop it up. room was nice -- property seemed a bit in need of an update / upgrade. Room seemed to have a little water damage in the bath area -- perhaps related to the tub design.

beds nice as always.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for chosing us for your stay in Pasadena and for your feedback. We are working continuously to maintain the hotel and make sure that our guests are comfortable. I always encourage people to let us know when you have a problem in the hotel so that we can correct the issue. I hate for this to be your lasting impression of the hotel. I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westin Pasadena.

Been to The Westin Pasadena? Share your experiences!