“Relaxing Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Relaxing Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Westin Pasadena is located in downtown Pasadena, not far from the Colorado Boulevard shopping district. It is only about a block from the Paseo Colorado shopping and entertainment area, which includes a nice range of restaurants, shops, and a movie theater. The Pasadena Convention Center is just one more block south, and many of the Pasadena civic buildings (city hall, auditorium, and others) are close by as well. The hotel is several blocks east of the higher end stores along Colorado and from the Norton Simon Museum. It also is several blocks from Cal Tech (realistically not walkable for most people). The hotel had both valet and reasonably priced self-parking. The hotel restaurant was a terrific choice for breakfast. My room was a standard Westin room, clean and comfortable, although it could use a bit of maintenance. The work space was ample and well arranged (with plenty of plugs), but the desk was extremely wobbly. The hotel had a great leather bench along an entire wall beneath the exterior windows rather than the traditional upholstered chair or loveseat, which I found to be really comfortable. My only complaint is that the bathroom could have been cleaner. While not dirty, it definitely needed more than just the normal daily wipe down. I would stay here again depending on the rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your commetns, both positive and constructive. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and really experience Pasadena.

We are working very hard with our engineers to get into the rooms and take care of some maintenance items that we have not been able to take care of for a little while.

I hope that we see you again when your travels bring you back to Pasadena.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Since we belong to the Starwood program at the Gold level, we always stay at a Westin whenever we can. I want to shout out a huge appreciation for Norman in the cafe. He was amazing. We had breakfast every day there and although we talked about trying somewhere off the property, Norman kept us there because of his friendliness. He was efficient, knowledgeable, helpful and proficient. When I told him I had wished they had huevos rancheros on the menu, he said "No problem." He had those prepared in no time for me :) Thank you so much Norman. You alone will bring us back to the Westin whenever we are in Pasadena. The location was perfect as well, enabling us to walk to various places around the city.

My only complaint about this hotel, was the inability to place us in the confirmed room we had originally booked. We were there for four nights, and she said they were booked. She insisted we had a patio in this room but when i looked at my paper confirmation (yes, that's why I print it out), I showed her it was a PRIVATE balcony and asked if the patio was private. She then was forced to admit it wasn't and agreed we would be moved on day 2 or our 4 night stay. I wasn't happy about this since I had called several times to confirm the room and the type of room.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the maid storage room; they are very loud.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words about Norman. He is a superstar and a great asset to our hotel. I will be sure that he receives your recognition.
I apologize that there was some confusion in assigning you a room that met your expectations, and for the inconvenience of having to move halfway through your stay. I will owrk with the staff to ehlp prevent such confusion in the future.

I hope that we see you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed at this property over 20 times for business travel to Pasadena. The hotel is nice and the beds are comfortable. As a SPG Platinum member I was rarely upgraded to a suite. When I was, the suite rooms are MUCH larger than the regular rooms. The bathrooms need some upgrading and are not always the cleanest. Over the summer I noticed the A/C in most of the rooms does not work properly. Customer service is really hit or miss. The valet and front desk employees were very friendly. However, on many occasions when I tried calling the service line from my room, my calls were not answered, even with multiple attempts of calling. The location of the hotel is nice, close to Colorado Blvd where there are many restaurants and shops. The views from the upper floors of the hotel offer beautiful mountain and city views.

The room service food was good too. Internet was often slow and there were several spots in the rooms that did not pick up the wireless signal.

Overall it's a decent hotel for a business traveler. The rooms could use some upgrading, but the beds are comfortable and the location in convenient.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 11th and 12th floors offer the best views. There are a limited number of rooms with...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thanks you for you feedback. I would like to let you know that your comments are very useful in our training sessions. Consistency in service delivery is one of the keys to our success and I am sorry that has not been your experience. I am working with our Director of Housekeeping and Service Express to ensure that we do a better job of service delivery.

On a positive note, we have recently upgraded our wireless internet service with a new server and additional WAP's to improve conectivity. We have also upgraded our thermostats to be more efficient and equalize the climate control in our guest rooms.

I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westin Pasadena.
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here two nights and really enjoyed this hotel. Beautiful room on the veranda; great food for in-room dining; excellent service all around. Top notch. This is easily the best Westin I have ever stayed at. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: ask for a veranda room -- very nice to sip your morning coffee outside...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. I hope that we have the chance to welcome you back when your travels bring you back to Pasadena.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed for a week at The Westin. Its well placed for a short walk into Old Pasadena but the front door staff very rarely let you walk as they arrange for the driver to take you where you wish to go and collect you. This is a request service but we found it was mostly available when needed. The rooms are comfortable but traditional. Gym and pool area were quite and under used by most visitors. We didn't use the bar as it always seemed very quite and empty preferring to go into town to eat and drink. Would recommend the Westin for a easy stay near to town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The guys at the front door provide an excellent service and are happy fo do so. Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Pasadena and I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back. We are in the process of re-vamping our restaurant/bar/patio venue to create a better environment for you to enjoy. I hope that you all have a chance to have a drink there. If others see you there, I would bet they will join you!!
San Bernardino, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed 1 night at this hotel for a conference that was held at the hotel. We did not have any trouble finding the hotel. The people working the valet service were extremely helpful and polite. The front desk was also very friendly. The interior of the hotel was clean and seemed freshly painted. Plenty of places to sit down and relax. Our room was located on the 5th floor overlooking the front entrance. With the window closed we could not hear the street noise. When we had the window open a crack you could hear the noise from the road but it wasn't too bad. The room had plantation shutters. I have never seen that at another hotel. I thought they gave the room a nice touch but not very good at keeping the sun out in the morning. I would still prefer back out curtains over the shutters. After been in our room for only 30 minutes the maid walked in the room on us. No knock or heads up that she was coming in. This was a concern to me because I don't see any reason she should have come in. I did not see a cart behind her so she wasn't trying to coming in to clean. It would have been very embarrassing if one of us was undressed. The bathroom sink did not drain very quickly. The toilet paper in the bathroom is very rough and thin. I have noticed the same toilet paper at other Westin hotels. And the roll is too low so your leg hits it when you sit on the toilet. The shower was nice and big with good water pressure and tempature. Westin has special double show heads. Normally you can turn 1 off but ours would not turn off no matter how hard we pushed the button. The room had a large flat screen TV. The beds were also very comfortable. They use a flat sheet on the mattress so by morning the sheet was completely untucked and not protecting the mattress any more. We also had a problem with the AC. It sounded like it was on but didn't seem to blow much cold air out. It eventually got cold in the room but too a long time. The rooms like they they also had been recently remolded. New paint on the walls and good padded carpet. Overall this was a good hotel. Maybe we just got the room that hasn't been maintain as well. If we attend another conference there I will stay at the hotel again but will complain if there are issues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments and the time that you took to provide us with very good feedback. I have had the opportunity to reveiw our procedures about entering guest's rooms with our room attendants and I hope that others will not share your experience. As always, the very best opportunity that we have to completely fulfill your expectations is for you to let us know if you have issues during your stay so tthat we can correct them and ensure your comfort. I hope that whether it is business or pleasure that you have the opportunity to stay with us again.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent 3 nights at this very nice hotel and i have no complaints what so ever.location is very good breakfast excellent if a little expensive'Staff most helpful and polite.rooms are very clean and the coffee and tea supplied is excellent

Room Tip: Eat down town on the main drag plenty of great eating houses
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am happy that we mede you feel welcomed at the Westin Pasadena. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Been to The Westin Pasadena? Share your experiences!