“Modern Spanish” 4 of 5 stars

626-405-1000
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Celona is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #265 of 583 restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: American, Spanish, Tapas
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fair Oaks Ave.
Renmark, Australia
“Modern Spanish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Just eaten at this restaurant and when you are looking for somewhere to eat walking down the street please stop and try we were very pleased with the service and food.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

53% Recommend
Los Angeles, California
“Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My friends and I tried out Bar Celona during DineLA week. I was enticed by the lunch menu they offered. You can imagine my dismay when I got there and they had changed the lunch options to unremarkable non tapas items. My friends ordered the DineLA menu and I went rogue and ordered tapas (which is what the restaurant is known for).

Goat Cheese Crouquettes - This dish is deep fried, the outside is standard breading with no outstanding flavor. The goat cheese was okay. The best part is the sauce the goat cheese sits on.

Calamari - The calamari was fresh and not rubbery but this dish is super salty and a bit oily. The aoli was okay but also salty.

Grilled rustic Bread - I thought that this was grilled bread with manchego and tomatoes. They slop on quite a bit of cheese which kinda ruins it. The bread isn't grilled and its mushy under the cheese. The tomatoes were slightly grilled.

I was underwhelmed. Disappointed about the change of menu. I would never have gone.

Parking: Street, there is a structure south on Raymond
Bathroom: passable, smelled weird
Soda: Pepsi products
Service: fair

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pasadena, California
“The biggest bar in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Really huge. At night it's a meet/meat market. Daily serving tapas that would be laughed at in Madrid. Go to people watch or be watched...or get smashed. But don't go for dinner. La Luna Negra is the real Spanish restaurant in Old Town.

Glendora, California
“DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I went here with a large group on a Saturday night when it turned into a lounge. From the second we walked in ( a group of young professionals consisting of teachers, med students, and business professional, well dressed and of middle eastern background) security would not take their eyes off of us. It was obvious we were being watched and targeted from the beginning. Finally the birthday boy jumped in a picture of a group of girls from our OWN group and security ran up and escorted him out. We tried to explain it was his birthday, we were his friends, and there was no problem but they called for back up and threatened to call the police! Once outside, we asked to speak to the manager and were then lied to and instead of telling us the manager was not in another security guard pretended to be the manager and still did not give us a good reason we were kicked out. The answer was "he was too intoxicated" I guess you have to be intoxicated to want to take a picture with a group of your girlfriends on your birthday. We talked to the manager a few days later but they were too embarrassed to admit they were wrong. We headed over to one of the friendlier bars in pasadena and spent our money there instead. If you plan on having a good time with friends, avoid this place.

Visited August 2011
Los Angeles, California
“ehh i had better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I love Tapas! So I was super excited to try this place during happy hour week. When we got there it was hella crowded lucky we found seats in the back . We sat down and ordered a red sangria ($5) and blue moon ($2.75). My red sangria tasted like water with fruit ... super disappointed. We ordered the following:

Tortilla Española - a potato omelet with cheese and veggies - Pass
Chicken Empanada - Super buttery and flaky crust... insides ok- ehh
Spanish Chili Cheese Fries - potato covered with Spanish chili and cheese - okay

I wasn't impressed with any of my food or drinks here. I did like the ambiance and the décor was nice to look at. There was also a band playing tango music later on at night. But I don't think I'll come back.

• Visited March 2011