“eclectic food with a confusing service system” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakery, Café, Sandwiches
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Pasadena, California
“eclectic food with a confusing service system”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This restaurant recently opened. We were there for a Sunday brunch. It is essentially a sidewalk cafe as even the interiors of the restaurant are exposed. It is quite nicely decorated. There is a lengthy menu for both breakfast and the rest of the day. It has a lengthy list of coffees and tees including ice blended versions along with smoothies. The food seems to be inventive and interesting. Normally I would give this restaurant a higher rating. but the service system is unnecessarily tedious with the customer doing much of the work. I appreciate that when I went there was a wait for a table. But we were made to stand in a line that inched its way slowly towards the bakery counter where at the end you met a cashier who took your order. Then you waited again until they found a table for you. After all this waiting we sat for a half hour before we finally snagged a service person and asked where our food was. When it arrived, my wife's chicken salad sandwich was only a chicken salad and the poached eggs in my dish had becomes hard boiled. The service people were courteous and were certainly apologetic when they accidentally spilled water down the back of my shirt. I will give this another try later when they get the kinks ironed out and hopefully a different type of service methodology that does not involve so much waiting.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Salt Lake City
“Welcome to Pasadena, Wonderful Urth Caffe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was vacationing in Pasadena and luckily I spotted the newest member of the Urth family! An out of towner, I had not been to an Urth before. This one had just opened and so they were serving only beverages and bakery items. The croissant and cookie (two visits in two days) were first rate and the coffee sublime.
What pushed this establishment to 5 for me was the service! The entire staff was pleasant, outgoing and engaging. I felt like a valued customer!
The place was packed, so Pasadena seems to agree!

• Visited September 2013