“waste of time” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Pasadena, California
“waste of time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Pie is bad. Not only is it highly overpriced (as with the drinks and the food, I just went with water), the pie tastes like fake pie. Clearly not homemade, which is far more subtle -- this is not.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Boston, MA
“Good burger - funny service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Came here for a lunch meeting and got a seat right at the bar. The waitress was pleasant and funny -even though she kept forgetting our drink order.

This is a no frills diner serving good burgers and even better pies.

My burger was tasty, somewhat akin to a burgerville burger if I were to compare it to a fast food joint. Fries were tasty, but a little overcooked and limp.

We didn't want to have any pie, but the waitress gave us a taste of their banana pie and it was tasty!

They don't take credit cards here - so have some cash on hand!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Blue Heaven, South Carolina, United States
“ONE OF THE LAST MOHICANS IN NOSTALGIC DINERS !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Enjoy sitting at the counter and having a cheeseburger flipped on the grill, which tastes pretty darn good. I haven't tried any other items for lunch, so I can not comment on the rest of the menu. The sodas are well carbonated, good syrup mix and lacking that funky - we - haven't - cleaned - the - apparatus - in - a really - long - time - flavor. I am a coffee connoisseur and feel the coffee is also pretty good. ( Not equal to your favorite corporate brands, but it gets my vote for best diner coffee served). And I guarantee it won't take the enamel off your teeth !

I end my meal with a slice of cherry pie ala mode. The cherries taste good, but the crust hints that it may be frozen fresh , but not bad tasting. I suggest informing your server that you wish the pie to be heated and that you desire a scoop of ice cream. Just about every time the servers don't bothered to offer up the option to heat the pie. If you don't say anything they serve it stone cold - not the way to experience optimal pie flavor !

They have been pretty busy at lunch, but I found the delivery of the food a reasonable period of time. My only strong criticism, which is my personal pet peeve, is the servers will not remove your plates when you are finished and will shove aside your lunch dishes to serve the dessert. Things had slowed down and they were not busy. The funny thing is the busing trays are literally under the counter. I have stood up and leaned over the counter and bussed our dirty dishes myself. It is my personal belief if you are in a sit down restaurant - diner or high end - dishes should be cleared as people finish eating.

Other than this one harsh criticism I feel you will be in for a great nostalgic experience.

Be sure to map quest the restaurant, because parking can get a bit tricky. I have had to walk a short distance down the street and park on the corner of a residential. Scour the surrounding parking lots, or you could get lucky with a spot curb side.

Enjoy!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kapalua, Hawaii
“Burgers & Pies what else could you want”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Pie and Burger is a great little burger shop in Pasadena. The burgers aren't trendy and the menu hasn't changed in years, but they taste great. This is a Pasadena institution with the old style counter. I would have given 5 stars but our last visit had slow service and the place could use a little cleaning in general. With that said if I want a great burger at a very reasonable price I go back to P & B

Visited July 2013
Pasadena, California
“pricey but miss the mark”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place has seen better days. We dropped in for brunch on a Saturday mid-morning. Our server was gloomy and mechanical.
The coffee had no "umph". Good coffee should infuse the air with enough aroma to wake one up, otherwise why bother? My sunny side up eggs was cold, the bacon cooked to death and dry. Service was sluggish that is why my breakfast was cold. Yet our bill was $32 for just a standard breakfast for 2.
I could have whipped up something better @ a fraction of that cost in my own modest kitchen.

• Visited October 2012