“Great Service, Great Food, Great Price” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 591 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Bakery, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fair Oaks Blvd.
Transit: Metrolink and Gold Line
Los Angeles, California
“Great Service, Great Food, Great Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The food was excellent, the price was reasonable and the service was great with the exception of the seating hostess. She seemed to be in a bad mood or something. Her greeting seemed forced but was nevertheless, politically correct. Our waiter and the other helpers were just great!!! Went on a Sunday Evening to have coffee and dessert with my mother. My mother ordered the bread pudding with Caramel Sea Salt Gelato and I opted for a veggie pizza. The dessert was out of this world. The pizza was delicious, made with a thin crust, very reminiscent of the pizza I had in Italy a few years back.

I would definitely go back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles
“For a chain restaurant, this one of one of the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have eaten at about 4 Il Fornaios and I have to say, we think this one is the best. The location in Pasadena is accessible, the menu is expansive, a good kids menu, the servers are brisk and attentive. Not pretentious, just good and quick. Food quality is overall very consistent and entrees range $15-40 or so. I recommend the specialties. I always book on opentable.com and this place is always available. There are tons of choices on this main strip in Pasadena, but this is one of our favorites as a family. Kid friendly.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chamal P, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Hi kimparklee,

I'm so happy to hear that you and your family have visited us so many times and that you have always enjoyed what we have to offer. Have you visited for dinner during the first two weeks of the month? If you do you can enjoy a dish from our Festa Regionale menu. This is the last weekend of this month's menu from Umbria. Next month (March 3rd-16th) we are highlighting the Bacilicata region. Next time you are in please introduce yourself to our management team!

Wendy Garriott, Il Fornaio Pasadena
Los Angeles, California
“JUNE 2013 REMEMBER RICARDO?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Ricardo I read your reviews on your food and it makes me sick to my stomach how much you lie to your customers! You remember me I was there in june 2013 when I said your food passed for south american food not Italian . And you where very upset then. Your food will always taste like garbage and you can BS the people from back east but you wont BS me on your food as well as your service!!!!!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ricardo C, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Hi Fred Haskin,

I would like to apologize for your very unfortunate experience with us back in June of last year. As of November 2013 Ricardo no longer works with Il Fornaio and Chamal Perera has taken over as General Manager.

I hope that eventually you will give us another chance. Thank you for your feedback and take care.
- Wendy Garriott, Il Fornaio Pasadena

PS. I know that Ricardo's name appears as the respondent to this review response. This is something that we are working on correcting. Thanks again!
“It really cound not have been better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

My family stumbled upon Il Fornaio after the Rose Bowl parade and had a great meal with awesome service. This is authentic Italian retaurant with food that reminded us of our week in Tuscany three years ago. My wife and I split the "Cristina" pizza - white pizza with Fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, shaved Grana Padano, mushrooms and wild arugula; drizzled with white truffle oil Cal/1040 (copied from menu). The crust was thin and firm. My only problem was I was splitting it. My daughter had the Bolognese which was great. I am writing this in February, so I don't remember everything we had, but they did make a great bloody mary. The service was great. We ran our waitress pretty good, and she took it all in stride. In the end we all said good bye and thanks to the pizza chef - Tony (I think). Just a great place all around. Pricing was fine.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chamal P, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hi Chillbilly,

I would like to thank you for your great review! Our mission at Il Fornaio is to provide our guests with the most authentic Italian food outside of Italy and I am glad that you and you family enjoyed your dinner with us! In addition to our regular menu we also offer a monthly Regionale menu during the first two weeks of the month. The special menus feature dishes from a specific region of Italy. This month we are highlighting the Umbria region and next month the Basilicata region from March 3rd to March 16th. If you are in the Pasadena area again please stop by and say hello!

Thank you, again!
So Cal
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I went to this restaurant a few years ago for a birthday dinner. I recall I had the seafood linguini. The linguini and sauce were good but the seafood was NOT fresh. In fact, the clams were foul. Had to spit it out. My friend had a salmon dish that he liked but I wouldn't rely on his taste as he's always favorable even if it tastes bad.

We shared the dessert sampler, which at that time made a good impression on me. However, we went again recently, just for dessert, as we had dinner elsewhere close by. Service was efficient and friendly enough but this time, the dessert sampler wasn't as good as I remembered. Nothing really memorable.

Had lunch at their Santa Monica location many times before and that was a better experience. One thing I do love about Il Fornaio is that they do have wonderful breads and breadsticks. Everything else is just average.

Visited December 2013
Ricardo C, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi TravelmoreSoCal,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your honest review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry that your visit at our Pasadena location wasn't as great as what your experiences were in the past. You mentioned that you had visited the Santa Monica location in the past and you enjoyed your dining experience more. Sadly, that location closed a little over a year ago but the chef from that Il Fornaio is the chef here in Pasadena. Also, I worked in the Santa Monica location before it closed as well.

I hope that you will give us another chance to show you that our restaurant can live up to your expectations. If you do decide to visit us again please introduce yourself so we can thank you for your review in person.

Thank you, again!