“great romantic place” 5 of 5 stars

626-441-3136
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Raymond Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 591 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: American, Continental
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: S. Fair Oaks Ave. & Columbia St.
pasadena,ca
“great romantic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Some reviewers don't understand the nature of a fine restaurant: great food in a nice atmosphere. If you are in a hurry or want your meal fast, don't come here. The portions are not Denny's size, either, but we certainly weren't hungry leaving without dessert. Our food was truly fabulous and the server was perfect, even getting us free champagne for our anniversary.

• Visited May 2012

Pasadena, CA
“Dare I say it? Flawless!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Any restaurant can have off days, but this night was not one of them. In fact, the past few times we've eaten here it's been almost as good. From the attentive and unobtrusive service, through the elegant space, to the food, timing and soft-lit cozy ambience, our meal last night at the Raymond was superb. We've eaten at great michelin-star places, and at humble little local gems, all over the US and elsewhere, so we're not snobs but we know how good it can get. This meal could have been found under a michelin star, but that restaurant would have to be fussier and more expensive.

The Raymond was flawless. I won't belabor the food details, but try as I might I can not find a fault with any of the many elements of the meal, from the appetizers to the desserts. Each element was prepared gently, nothing was over- or under-wrought, the food was creatively devised and elegantly - but not pretentiously - presented, and each item had aspects that were inventive and unpredicted. And all was delicious, ample enough to share but not too much to eat, and did I say, flawless?

The Raymond will see us again, I recommend that you go, too.

• Visited May 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Something Very Different.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The Raymond is an old Craftsman home hidden away in the south end of Pasadena. The place has a very nostalgic and quaint atmosphere, unusual in Southern California. The food is excellent featuring fresh heirloom produce and a varied and interesting selection.
I had the Short rib off the bone and it was very good- perfectly prepared and paired with a medley of delicious vegetables. My wife had the duck breast and enjoyed it very much as well.
Service is attentive and friendly.
On the night we ate there the room was about half full so it was very quiet and private.
Overall I would say this is a fine dining experience. I'm not sure I would consider it very romantic though I would say it's interesting and different and I would definitely go back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

excellent food, great service, pricey. This is my third visit and have always had a good feeling about the place. Will be coming back for a special occasion. My guests enjoyed everything.

• Visited March 2012
Pasadena, California
“The most romantic restaurant in Pasadena”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Years ago someone asked me where to take a date they wanted to impress and I said the Raymond was the most romantic place in town. I still stand by that, but would add that they have updated the menu and added a hot new bar.

Visited February 2012