“Great Location - would stay again” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 28 hotels in Pasadena
SF, CA
“Great Location - would stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I just spent 4 nights while in Pasadena for a sporting event at Rose Bowl Aquatics. It was less than a 10 minute drive to the Rose Bowl and a 5 minute walk to all the shops and restaurants in Old Town. I'm amazed that this is the only good hotel in Old Town. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I had breakfast in the restaurant several mornings and was very happy that they offered lots of healthy options. Lobby and restaurant are very modern and bright. Room was clean, comfortable bed, really liked having the microwave and refrigerator in the room. I agree with previous reviewer that layout of hotel can make for long walks from the garage and is not great if you have a lot of luggage. Ask for a room on the garage side of the hotel if you are going to be hauling a lot of stuff. Small pool in the middle of the courtyard is nice for a dip on a hot day and my kids loved the hot tub.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Cindy, Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and staff. Our location is prime and in a good proximity to many things in the area, especially because we are located right in Old Town! We hope you enjoyed your event at the Rose bowl and look forward to your future visits!

428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

From my arrival to my departure everything was perfect. Valet, desk staff, housekeeping, food and food services scored a 10. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a top notch property on Old Town

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Traveler,
We are very appreciative of you taking the time to share your perfect stay here at the Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. We could not be happier with your positive experience. We very much look forward to your next visit.
Until then, please have a wonderful Summer.
San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The location of the hotel is convenient, and the price was comparable to other hotels. The room was clean, and the beds were comfortable. The walk to the elevators on the wing that I was in was kind of long and just a bad design feature. If you have a lot of luggage, let the staff know so you can be placed elsewhere.

The only thing that is really bad about the hotel is the fitness center. The space is ridiculously small and claustrophobic. No fans, no space to move, and just uncomfortable. This point may not be important to some, but for me, it is and I was very disappointed.

Also, the walk to the

Room Tip: Ask which wing your in, because the walk to one side of the hotel is somewhat long and annoying with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Janine,

We appreciate your positive comments on our hotel and will certainly take into account your feedback on the Fitness Center.

Hope to see you again soon. Until then, safe travels.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We checked in at 3.30 pm and were told the room was not available while the other guests were being checked in. The receptionist didn't have a professional attitude while keeping us wait.
The drains in both shower and sink didn't work for the night we stayed.
This hotel is at a good location but service was poor.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your thoughts and experience at our hotel. I do apologize that we fell short of your expectations.
These comments are taken seriously and we will discuss with both our management team and front line associates in the hopes of serving you better.

Thank you again for your comments and please enjoy the rest of your summer.
Waterford, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Excellent location, quiet, clean. Concierge very professional and tended to our every need. Affordable. Valet very attentive. Will go again if in the area. Garden outside pool area was lovely. Pool towels provided. Towels were fluffy!

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and it was very quiet. Sixth floor. Room directly across from ice maker. W...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Andy- Thank you so much for your kind words. So glad you enjoyed your time here at our hotel and appreciated our staff. We will make sure to pass these comments on to our team.
We promise to keep the towels fluffy for your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My boyfriend--a Silver Elite member--and I were in Pasadena for a friend's wedding festivities. We stayed at the Old Town Pasadena Marriott for two nights during the June heat wave on the West Coast. None of the common areas in the hotel had functioning air conditioning despite the 100+ temperatures. The hallways, elevators, and lobby were simply boiling, making the hotel incredibly uncomfortable. While waiting for the snail-paced elevators, we found ourselves breaking into sweats. Fortunately, the A/C in our room did work, but when we entered the room for the first time, the air was off, and our room was hotter than it was outdoors. It took a solid 30 minutes for the room to cool down.

Our room was fairly basic but reasonably spacious and clean. The decor and furnishings were dated; there were nails protruding from the side of the shabby dresser, which caught on my lace dress. Our room overlooked the pool, which was noisy, especially in the early mornings when we awoke to kids shrieking below (turns out we didn't need wake up calls there).

We were particularly displeased with the valet service. We called the valet to retrieve our car 15 minutes before we needed to depart for the rehearsal dinner. When we arrived at the valet stand, there was a long line of guests waiting for their cars. We assumed our car would arrive within a minute or two, but after standing in 100+ degrees for 10 minutes, my boyfriend inquired about our car only to learn that the keys were still hanging in the valet cupboard. No one bothered to get our car despite the request made 25 minutes prior! We waited another 10 minutes before our car showed up, and we were 30 minutes late to the rehearsal dinner. After that experience, we skipped the valet service all together for the remainder of our stay.

We also had a late-night cocktail at the bistro/bar, and the table/chairs were sticky and sorely in need of a wipe down.

I would be reluctant to return to this Marriott given the myriad options available in the area.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not overlook the noisy pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Courtyard_Pasadena, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed recap of your experience. The recent heat wave seems to have stretched most systems and areas of the City and our hotel was certainly no exception.
We do appreciate the additional comments, particularly about Valet and do apologize for your delay in getting you promptly to the rehearsal dinner. We will share your experience with our team so that we may better serve you and others in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to share additional feedback, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again.
Morrison, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Twenty years ago, even ten, I held up the Marriott Courtyard chain as my "gold standard" for a businessman's hotel. This is no longer the case, and the Old-Town Pasadena Courtyard epitomizes why.

Reservations went without a hitch. Check-in was fine once I found-out the maneuvers for leaving a car while checking in. The vaunted garage that lets you park on the same floor as the room is good ... but fills-up so your car may be on a very different level than the room.

My room was largish with tired furniture. The room reeked of cigar smoke (!) when I turned-on the air conditioner ... which had no thermostat and was very noisy. Someone had left the sliding glass door completely unlocked, and I was gratified when my "check-into-a-hotel-room" routine found the omission. The radio was blaring upon entering the room. Amenities were nice in intent, but there was no shampoo; glad I had packed my own.

Whoever is accountable for the current Marriott designs must be of very small stature, how else can you explain the absurdly small toilet in what is a spacious bathroom?

I really dislike the new "Bistro" approach to breakfast. I like to sit down and eat a complete meal rather than feel like I am in a fast-food court. The staff was pleasant, but if there is a next time I'll look for an off-property restaurant.

The hotel boasts a pool and a workout room, neither of which I used due to time commitments.

So, on the positive side the hotel seems clean, safe and all of the staff I met were professional and pleasant. But the bottom line is my next stay in Pasadena will probably find me looking for alternatives to the Courtyard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for being such a Marriott Courtyard fan and supporter over these past 20+ year. We do appreciate your feedback on exactly how we as a brand fell short of your expectations. We as a specific hotel under the Brands direction have made major investments in our new lobby, Bistro restaurant and very soon guest rooms. We do hope that the next time you are in Pasadena, you will stay with us again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if plans bring you our way. Have a safe holiday and a wonderful summer.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena? Share your experiences!