“Fabulous Location location location....but rooms are nothing special” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 28 hotels in Pasadena
Spokane, Washington
“Fabulous Location location location....but rooms are nothing special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

You couldn't ask for a better location within great walking distance to shops and great food in old town Pasadena. The lobby and breakfast get high marks from me as well as the hard working staff. A word of caution though about the pool. It is in the shade. Get to the pool before 9a if you want to see sunshine. The room quality is standard Marriott furniture and bedding, but this property seems to have more mismatched, dinged up furniture than others. My room on the second floor had no view, other than a dirty rooftop. The walls had white drips of ceiling paint and damaged spots on the walls and carpet. I slept fine, even though the walls seem to lack insulation. I could hear lots of noise from outside. The location is the only reason I would come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
D KL,

Thank you so much for the feedback. We appreciate the positive comments about staff and location.

If travels bring you back our way, we sincerely hope to see you back.

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were visiting friends for Thanksgiving in nearby San Marino. This hotel's location was a perfect fit. The room was very clean and modern, with a view of the swimming pool in the courtyard. Service and staff were excellent. I wish the hotel's entrence wasn't located off of a busy street, as this made it hard sometimes to pull the car in. But other than that, everything was great.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the swimming pool. Avoid front-facing rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We truly appreciate your comments.

Hope to see you again next year.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was nervous about this property, simply because I didn't know the area well and didn't know if the Courtyard brand would hold up as well in a larger city. I only needed a one-night stay and figured I could survive if the choice was less than stellar. I was hopeful, as the reviews were -- in my eyes -- surprisingly good and the hotel seemed to hold its own with the bigger, splashier, and more prestigious competitors.

I cannot tell you how pleased I was with my stay. As everyone else has mentioned, the location is perfect for any Pasadena needs. The room was AMAZINGLY clean and a little pretty. The front desk staff on check-in and check-out were delightfully pleasant and seemed warm and caring making the process a breeze.

The biggest benefit of this location, however, was the lobby restaurant's food and fare offerings. They not only have a REAL Starbucks on the property, but a wonderful kitchen and restaurant to boot! They offered free coffee beginning at 6 a.m. and any size or sort of breakfast a guest may desire. Can I tell you how good, plentiful, and inexpensive my breakfast was on Saturday morning??! It looked good -- fluffy eggs, beautifully brown bacon, nicely cubed potatoes -- that "traveled" well (I ordered it to go so that I could eat in the room) perfectly packaged in a lovely (vs. generic) brown bag. It tasted even better than it looked, too. When I met my friends in the early afternoon, they were surprised I wasn't ravenous (I usually forgo hotel food; I'd rather enjoy a local meal when I travel). Even while I awaited my meal's preparation, it was kinda cool to hang out in the user-friendly dining/lounge area with the guests who were in town for the UCLA vs. USC Rose Bowl game. Had I stayed in Los Angeles? I likely wouldn't have left the room without full makeup and outfit. Here, however, I felt sufficiently comfortable in my skin to throw on casual clothing and just GO.

I plan to return to Pasadena in 2013 and if I need a hotel? This will be my choice. It's a great deal for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Traveler,

Thank you much for your kind words and experience here at The Courtyard by Marriott – Old Pasadena.
Our location is perfect and the closest hotel to the Rose Bowl. The Bistro is a great place for a meal with great food and atmosphere.
We will make sure to pass on your comments to our culinary team who work hard every day. Safe travels and we very much look forward to having you back in 2013.
Gales Ferry, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed 6 nights on a combined business and pleasure trip. A great location just a couple of blocks off of Colorado Blvd (The street of the Rose Bowl Parade fame) in Old Pasadena. There is much to see and do in this thriving high class area, with particularly great opportunities for gourmet quality etnic dining of every type. Most everything you would want is within walking distance. The hotel staff is very friendly and eager to please in the best Marriott tradition. The food and choices in the lobby Bistro is suprisingly good and reasonably priced. We enjoyed several breakfasts and dinners there during our stay. Rooms are good size and have a small refrigerator and a microvave. Free Internet is a real bonus. Parking is extra, either self-park in an attached garage ($15 night) or Valet ($17, plus tips of course), with quick Valet delivery of your car. We were very pleased with this hotel and would chose it for sure for a return trip to the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thanks so much for the great comments regarding your stay. We truly appreciate you taking the extra time to share your experience. “Location, Location, Location + Friendly Staff” could not have been said any better. Thank you again and we very much look forward to your next visit.
Menifee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is the only hotel in Old Town Pasadena. We only needed a one night stay following our granddaughte's wedding. The hotel was very accommodating, offering early check-in.
When we drove up to the entrance, we were greeted by the very friendly valet staff. Upon entering the lobby, all staff members were very warm and cordial. The lobby was immaculate. Opposite the registration area is The Bistro, which offered breakfast, lunch and dinner. We went to our room before having anything to eat.
Upon entering the room, there was soft music playin and the lights were turned on which I always appreciate since it adds to the warmth of the room. The rooms have been recently renovated, with warm colors, comfortable beds & bedding.
The bathroom was very nicely done with lots of towels available.

Room Tip: If you self park, depending where your room is located, you may have a good walk to get to your room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Betty B

Thank you kindly for your wonderful comments about the Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. Even though your stay with us was brief you got the full Courtyard experience. Congratulations on your Granddaughters wedding and we hope you will come back to visit in the near future. Until then, safe travels.
Glendora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My first stay and impressed with the service, cleanliness, reasonable price, perfect location , amenities, free wifi and parking.I highly recommend this hotel for everyone. This place is two blocks away from Colorado Avenue where you can shop, dine and lounge out.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the west are sunnier
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your great comments about the Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. Our location is great, but the service keeps people coming back. We very much look forward to your next visit with us.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Every member of the staff I encountered during my two night stay were friendly and helpful--the friendliest and helpfulest I have experienced. They made adequate accommodations an especially pleasant experience.
The location is excellent for walking around the streets of Old Pasadena (to the south), which is a nice area for shops and restaurants. The location also is convenient for highway access.
The rooms are good enough for a Courtyard, although mine on the south side exterior of the building suffered from the heat and an air conditioner that either functioned in "on" or "off" mode and was too loud to run during a phone call. My first offer on the 2d floor on the west side suffered from traffic noise because the windows are single pane. I suggest requesting a room on the north side or on the interior. Otherwise, the building was clean, the workout facilities good enough (2 steps machines, 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, free weights). More of a family or business place than a pleasure trip.
They also offer "free" breakfast (an omellette bar and egg and sausage steam trays), but the drinks (coffee and juice) were extra. Not much of a benefit. But it is a nice place even without that perq.

Room Tip: Interior and/or North side (in warm weather). 5th or 6th floor if sensitive to street noise, because...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Mike,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to share your thoughts. We truly appreciate it. While our location is excellent, it pales in comparison to our staff who give it their all from the moment you arrive.
Certainly apologize for the confusion on breakfast as we do charge. Our Bistro Restaurant is designed to keep it as simple or as full as you like it. Our omelet bar is currently $10.95 and beverages are extra as we have a very large selection of coffee and specialty drinks. We also have a wide variety of a-la-carte pastries, breakfast sandwiches’ as well traditional breakfast plates. A little something for everyone.
Again, we genuinely appreciate the feedback and very much look forward to your next stay if we are so fortunate.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Old Pasadena? Share your experiences!