“The way a burger should be!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #74 of 583 restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Diner
Description: Custom Built Burgers. This is a 'chain' restaurant with outlets in many other cities and states... but we very much like the reliability of the hamburgers!
Reuver, The Netherlands
“The way a burger should be!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

After a long flight from Europe I was taken to " the counter" by my nephew and his girlfiend.
It was a very busy sundayevening, but we were seated within 5 minutes after arrival. The "build-it-yourself"option was great, because I wasn't that hungry.
I ordered my burger medium rare with only a few toppings and that was just what I got. The meat was juicy and tasted great. Although there was a little delay in the kitchen with our order, that could not spoil the evening. (the delay was even compensated by a free dessert, so that was great to).

Resume: for a great burger, go to "The Counter".

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Los Angeles, California
“A Better Burger in Pasadena, CA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Living in L.A., there are so many choices to eat, but sometimes you just really want a burger. Again, so many choices, from basic, McDonalds/Jack in the box; to better than avarage, In-N-Out; to your local buger stand. But sometimes you want something different. The Counter, Pasadena is just that place. Made to order burgers, with wonderful meat and fresh toppings - so good!! The service is always excellent and crew is so helpful. So much better than Pie and Burger!! The have items other than burgers, but whenever I get there, I just want a burger. The fries are good too - parmesan and sweet potatoe fries - wonderful!! Free parking with validation in the structure next door. What more could you ask? Definitely one of my favorite spots.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
California
“Mouthwatering Angus Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Mouthwatering Angus burgers, and all kinds of other burgers, cooked to order with the bun and toppings of your choice. This is a sit-down restaurant. We had terrific service from Ashley. The Counter does now validate for parking. We were too full after our burgers to order malts or dessert, but they have those as well. We miss Bob's Big Boy, but this is even better!!
We will be back with our appetites.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pasadena
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is one of the places that seems like it should be good, but it isn't -- unaccountably. The menu is highly specialized (burgers!) and it would seem that excellence is within reach with such a limited goal. But I have never had a really good burger here, and the fries are just ... meh. I don't understand why anyone would choose to eat here when it is steps away from really good burgers (Cafe 140 South and Green Street Cafe). I've been to the Counter three times -- not goin' again.

Visited August 2012
Los Angeles, CA
“Great burgers done exactly your way! Amazing service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

At another recommendation from a co-worker (they are batting about 85%) my wife and I tried this restaurant. I love a good burger and your typical Burger King, McD's, Carl's, etc just gets a bit old and boring. Filling out the little check form for exactly how big, what toppings, sauces, cheeses, etc. adds some fun to the experience. Decor is nice, simple, industrial style. I asked about the "garage doors" that I noticed were right in front with glass windows and in a few minutes they went up for a quick "ya, they work" demonstration. Very cool, fun feature.

We got our burgers, 2/3 pounders (after cooking) and I was not dissapointed. Cooked exactly as I requested (medium) and the chipotle aioli sauce I had chosen was awesome! As one other reviewer mentioned, it isn't a cheap burger, but you know what? I'll pay for quality food and great service and not complain at all. Parking is validated and was $1, big deal.

Our server, Tony, was amazing. Granted we told him it was our first visit, but you could tell the service would be that way everytime.

They also have what now seems to be very popular, a frequent diner card. They call theirs "The List" and it will bring discounts, rebates, etc. as most of them do. I'll use it, why not?

We will be back and we will try different burgers, the BLT sounded interesting too, looking forward to our return...

• Visited May 2012