“Value priced and convenient to Caltech” 4 of 5 stars

Saga Motor Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1633 East Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91106   |
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Pasadena
Chicago, Illinois
“Value priced and convenient to Caltech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've had the opportunity to stay at this hotel a few times. Both times I was pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms and attentiveness of the staff. Think classic old style motor inn - and you will be on target.

Plus side - free parking and wifi, breakfast (Although not remarkable), very convenient to Caltech. Pool to lounge by, and a starbucks/7-11 on the same block.
Cons - Should you get a ground level room facing the parking lot - it's not the best.

I recommend asking to stay on the second floor. Those that face the back parking lot were very quiet.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I've stayed here many times now because you'd be hard-pressed anywhere in the LA area to find a place this nice for this price. It's totally retro - which I love. The bathrooms aren't the Hilton, they're more circa 1980's. The beds are comfy and free of bed bugs.( Yes, LA has bed bugs. You should look on the bedbug registry before booking anywhere.) Most rooms have a fridge and a microwave. No funky smells like so many older hotels do. The pool is great. A ground floor poolside room is a must. They don't charge for parking, which is also amazing in LA or even Pasadena. It's a short drive to Old Pasadena. I try to stay here every time I come to LA on a budget, which unfortunately is quite often.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Salem, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Who ever is marketing this place as a "vintage experience" is a genius; it is really just a tired old workhorse. Very stiff uncomfortable beds with scratchy, thin sheets. The lovely pool kind of saves the day, once you are in that lovely water floating about, all your cares will drift away. Convenient to the Foothill Freeway and Old Pasadena. Do yourself a favor and drive thru the Bungalow District and up to Alta Dena to just enjoy the beautiful homes and gardens; they are on small lots but so thoughtfully landscaped and maintained. The bathrooms are small so bring a toiletry bag that can hang behind the door. Lots of closet space, so we bought a package of cheap plastic hangers and hung up most everything especially wet bathing suits. Def not enough outlets so bring a powerstrip and/or a small extension cord. Included breakfast buffet was okay, no proteins though. Starbucks is less than a block away with a 7 Eleven is even closer.

Room Tip: ground floor might be a bit sketchy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

While visiting southern California, I wanted to stay at some places that had character (not all national chains), and I was pleased to be able to get a room at such a place in Pasadena. I ended up arriving at the Saga late (around 9 p.m.), and I was greeted warmly upon my arrival. While checking in, I saw the coffee and tea bar in the lobby; I don't remember the name of the employee who checked me in, but she very graciously gave me a cup of hot water so I could enjoy a cup of herbal tea that night, which I really appreciated after a long day of sight-seeing.

Regarding the room: I stayed on the first floor -- in room 105 facing the pool. Easily found a parking spot close to the room's back door, which was convenient. The room itself was clean and was comfortably furnished, though there was some noticeable wear on the bottoms of the walls (maybe where rolling suitcases or a vacuum cleaner had knocked against the wall?). The fabric on the rolling chair at the desk in my room also showed wear, but still, the chair was comfortable to sit on. I could hear some noise coming from a guest in an adjacent room, so I turned on the fan on the room's AC unit. Didn't hear any other sounds beyond that. I slept well, finding both the bed and pillows to be quite comfortable.

Wifi was accessible from the room, but my phone didn't always stay connected to it while I was sitting at the desk; the connection seemed to be stronger from the bed area.

In the morning, I joined a handful of other guests in the lobby to eat breakfast; the items that were set out for us were plentiful. Before leaving the motel, I wanted to print something; I was able to easily print it at no cost on the printer in the motel's business center, which was convenient.

Overall, I had a good stay -- and I think the value's good -- and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We try to stay here if we can when visiting family in Los Angeles. This hotel is so totally different from a chain hotel. We booked about a week stay and had to change due to our son's surgery and there was no problem cancelling some days. And the lobby clerk did her best for us and got us an extra day at the end of our stay. The staff just go the extra mile. The rooms are unique and very comfortable beds. We made good use of the swimming pool which is such a welcoming pool with tall pines creating shade. This is one place we will return to time and again.

Room Tip: We like to go to the back on the third or second floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

First of all--extremely awkward parking lot. I ended up inadvertently blocking the driveway and was told off by a sarcastically rude man (a guest) that I had done so. I went inside and was met by a not overly friendly front desk woman. She warmed up after awhile. The room was nice enough--very clean. But soooooo not worth the high price I paid for our one night there. I agree with those who say it needs updates. It's a neat place along 66 and should keep its historic charm, but I really don't see how they can charge as much as they did for the room. We had to keep the AC on to block out the noise from other motel guests who thought it was okay to be loud, rude, and inconsiderate late at night. Upon check-out, I waited a long while and finally an older woman took the key from me--she was not overly friendly either. I won't be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Willimantic, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I loved my stay at the Saga and at $85 a night it was a steal. I was there for six nights so it was a bit like living there. It's true that's it a bit worn and needs some updates (new windows for sure) but it was very clean, comfortable and accommodating (very nice staff). Good water pressure and AC. Comfortable bed. A large refrigerator. Good parking and a convenient, safe location. Easy walking to at least a half dozen restaurants, a Starbucks, 7-11, liquor store. It was probably built at the tail end of the Rt. 66 era and has that vibe in the best possible way. Years ago I used to stay in places like this throughout the southwest and there aren't too many left. The pool and area around it was well maintained and a great place to sit and relax even if you don't go in the water. The pool was big enough however to actually swim for exercise. I've stayed in a range of hotels from very expensive to budget. Few have beat the Saga for value. It may not be for everyone but I was a little sorry to leave.

Room Tip: I had a third floor room facing the pool. The AC worked great but I hardly used it. The windows op...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo