“Affordable & Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Pasadena
California
“Affordable & Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great mid-century place, but updated. Bed was good, love that the windows opened, great pool area. Big fridge & enough space for two for 3 nights. A/C was a bit noisy, but we just used it to cool off the room after being gone all day. Unseasonable warm Thanksgiving. Starbucks 1/2 short block away. Free breakfast was as much as you could expect for free. Elevator was creaky & slow, but better than lugging suitcases up & down stairs.We want to try a poolside room next time. Single level & doors on both sides for cross ventilation. Definitely will stay here again. We paid a bit more by booking w/ the front desk, but I am always wary of Internet rates & non-refundable bookings...

Room Tip: Top floor was a good choice. Love that the windows open.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
San Luis Obispo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Hmmm...my husband and I did not get the 5-point stay at the Saga. We also did not get one smile here, and barely got a friendly greeting during our stay.
We arrived around 3 PM on a Sunday to be greeted with a slightly snarky attitude. I asked if it was possible to get a room on the upper floor in a quiet location. I was promptly told there was no way that was possible because of other guests staying during the time we were staying. (By the looks of the parking lot in the mornings, the place was not sold out.) I was then told we would be in a room on the second floor, facing the large busy street out front. I was also told that it would be quiet for us – as though it would be quiet just because the lady at the desk said so.
After having some paper work plopped in front of me, I was abruptly told “sign here” and “sign here” with a pointed finger. Then we were told how to get to our room. The attitude we got discouraged us from asking if we could move to a room facing the back when one became vacant.
I know what's quiet for me and what it not quiet for me...as does my husband. We both say: Not quiet. The street noise is quieter than fellow guests tromping around above us around 11 PM and then between 5:45-8 AM. Tromp, tromp, tromp, squeak, creak, tromp, tromp. The old wooden floors can't help but make noise.
There is an odd smell in the room - like an old urinal, or maybe wallpaper paste, or some odd plastic, or possibly some sort of cleaner? We bought some air freshener to try to cover up the smell. It seemed to fade after a few days (we didn’t get housekeeping service since we didn’t need it).
The room is outdated in many ways (no computer outlet plugs at the desk, no microwave, old fridge, old school key to unlock the door, stained carpets), but you can tell they make an effort to do some improvements. The new heater/AC unit works well. And the room is clean.
Kudos to the housekeeping staff! I hope they get the appreciation their hard work deserves.
The mattress was also quite good for a hotel mattress, with nice clean sheets and soft blankies on top. (Yay, no duvet!) Plastic mattress covers, however - no matter how nice and clean they are like the one on the mattress - are too hot for us. So we had to remake the bed to make it cooler.
The shower head is a little close to the wall, but it has good pressure. Water's not as warm in the evening as in the morning.
Breakfast lacks protein (except for cream cheese). It consists of the standard store-bought pastries, bagels, mini boxes of cold cereal, possibly some instant oatmeal packets and some fruit, along with OJ and coffee.
Wi-fi is hit and miss, seems to cycle in and out.
Not a bad deal for the price. Just be prepared for some noise overhead if you don’t get a room on the top floor. And if you’re on the top floor, your lower floor travelers will appreciate a light touch to your footsteps – especially at night and early morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Saga Motor Hotel very much. We had everything we needed in our room which was very neat, clean, and comfortable. I especially loved being able to open the windows. The ambiance and location were just what we were looking for.

Room Tip: We liked the 3rd floor room overlooking the pool, palm trees, and Pasadena City College.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Saga is a charming traditional-style motel whose layout and exterior is straight out of the 1950's, but whose interior is fairly modern, well-appointed, very clean and comfortable. My wife and son had stayed there last April on a visit to nearby Caltech and raved about it. So when I went out to visit my son at the end of October I also chose to stay there. I was not disappointed. It is very reasonably priced and has a really nice pool and pool area. I mean really nice. The front desk staff was also very helpful. I had to cut my trip short by a day to get back home before Superstorm Sandy hit and they were very understanding and helpful. They also serve a passable continental breakfast although there are plenty of other options in the neighborhood if you want something more substantial. I would recommend this hotel if you have business (or pleasure) in the Pasadena area and are looking for excellent value for your money. It is bound to be our go-to place on future visits to Caltech.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

It's not easy to find an affordable motel in this area, so when a friend recommended this establishment for a weekend in the LA-area, I was thrilled to get one of the last rooms left on a hotel reservations website. We were staying during the heatwave, so the sparkling pool was a godsend. The room had everything, including books on a shelf to read. Nice touches. Real glasses vs. plastic. Great temperature control. The location was perfectly situated to local dining. Breakfast area very bright and cheery. The ladies who were in charge of room cleaning were top-notch. A++++++++++.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed one Sat. night ($79 thru AAA) in mid-Sept. for a Cat Show at the Pasadena Convention Center (another nice place). The Saga is little older as others have stated in other reviews... BUT it is very clean, well kept, friendly, and overall well worth the $$. The room was a fair size, single full bed (not too uncomfortable for a hotel bed), desk w/chairs, flat screen w/ HBO (with tv guide), mini-frig., books to read, plenty of towels and shower products. I was in room 322 (third floor, far right, back corner). It was very quiet at night. Out the large window was a beautiful large tree right outside my window, with a few birds and one squirrel to entertain. Very peaceful and I felt very safe. The pool area is surrounds by greenery of bushes, plants, flowers and big tall palm trees, very inviting to unwind at the end of the day. With tables w/umbrellas, plenty of chairs and lounges. The pool water was clean and a comfortable temperature. Continental breakfast (standard items) was nice to have. I would recommend Saga to couples, families, and individuals (not for party-ers or a rowdy crowd). I will stay here again.

Room Tip: The back side 2nd and 3rd floors were very quiet. There is an elevator but it was only operating par...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked a double bed room near the pool for $100 per night for a long weekend to go to a football game at the Rose Bowl. The hotel is very clean but it is older and could use some updates to the furniture. The beds were comfy and we really only needed a place to sleep as we were out and about the city all day into the night. The management was very nice to work with and answered all of our questions. Forget the free breakfast and walk over to Starbucks and get a breakfast sandwich and coffee.The hotel location is on Colorado Blvd but you'll want to take a cab to get downtown unless you are comfortable walking 2 miles one way. Highly recommened for the great value.

Room Tip: Look on the hotel website for the $79 per night rate. The pool rooms can be noisy with kids but they...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Saga Motor Hotel? Share your experiences!