“best ever” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Malbec is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 591 Restaurants in Pasadena
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
San Clemente, California, United States
“best ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I eat out quite a bit, both for business and pleasure, all over the state and even internationally, and...

Malbec is one of the best ever.

From the moment you step inside the vibe is warm and welcoming, and though they feature Argentine beef, they also offer pasta, salads and other items. Our meal was, well, cooked to perfection, and the winelist is engaging. I've seen on the web how some folks complain about the price(s) but really, $22 for a tender perfectly-prepared flat iron steak seems more than OK to me.

Plus, service defines the word attentive.

Go here, drive here...get here.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Diego
“Warm, cozy and excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Malbec was a perfect refuge for dinner on a rainy night; the curbside valet parking was a bonus. The menu is not huge, but is varied, and everything we had was perfect... Shirt steak for me and flatiron steak for him, both with interesting sauces and terrific grilled veggies. The wine list is short and heavy on the (guess what?) Malbec, and the mid price one I had was great. Entrees were $18 to $32, and our total bill was very reasonable.

Even better than the excellent food was the service. Our server Walter was that wonderful combination of attentive and nonintrusive, friendly but not obsequious, and every other service person was spot on. During our Pasadena visit our original plan of wandering Old Town and looking for a place was not an option due to the rain. Thanks to your TA reviews, we found Malbec. I only wish we lived closer so it could be in our regular rotation.

• Visited February 2013
Columbia, SC
“A solid neighborhood restaruant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Good Chimichuri (though I am no expert) A solid choice if you are in Pasadena, but I wouldn't drive across Los Angeles to visit. Felt locally to be a place to visit for special occasions. A solid choice for good food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Defintely going back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We've only been twice so far, both times for lunch. Although I don't imagine it's the first thing people think of in an Argentine restaurant, I ordered the lenguado/sole (I always order the sole if it's on any restaurant's menu). Pacific sole is more substantial than Dover sole, but it was very well prepared; and the spinach and mashed potatoes made a very acceptable accompaniment. Others in our group had the Vegetariano sandwich and the Churrasco, both of which were also well praised. On our second visit, my husband had the Lomo special (on the expensive side, but done to perfection) and I tried the Tallarines Golfo Nuevo (pasta with seafood), also well done and delicious. We tried a bottle of Malbec (what else?!) - Tilia I think, can't quite remember just now, which was very tasty.
Overall vote whether to return or not: a resounding yes!

• Visited November 2012
Redondo Beach
“Just simply AWESOME !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I met some friends I have not seen in 13 years at this restaurant. My friend had sent me the link to check out the menu and I was immediatley a fan. So when we got there we loved the place right away. We had a Carpaccio which was out of this world - believe us, we have had many Carpaccios in our life - but this one ! DELISH ! Then the Empanadas - so flavorful ! With that we had some excellent Argentinian red wine which our cool waiter Edwin recommended...What a great waiter ! For lunch we had steaks - Rib Eye, Flank Steak and New York. All I could say was WOW ! Being from the Midwest I have had some good meats, but this ? Fabulous ! The flavors and the meat was cooked to absolute perfection.
4 hrs later we left - after also having a out of this world Flan and Creme Brulee..What a GREAT place - you dont have a good Argentinian restaurant like this at every corner. So we had fantastic time with our friends and a fantastic lunch - we will be back for a repeat !

• Visited October 2012