“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Pasadena
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Norton Simon Museum is known around the world as one of the most remarkable private art collections ever assembled. Over a 30-year period, industrialist Norton Simon (1907–1993) amassed an astonishing collection of European art from the Renaissance to the 20th century and a stellar collection of South and Southeast Asian art spanning 2,000 years. Modern and Contemporary Art from Europe and the United States, acquired by the former Pasadena Art Museum, also occupies an important place in the Museum’s collections.
Henderson, Nevada
12 attraction reviews
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was looking forward to seeing this museum. I almost always rent the audio guides in museums (I am a member of the Metropolitan Museum in NYC and do so there) but when I tried to rent the $3 tour, I was asked to leave a "photo id" i.,e., a driver's license. In this day and age, no way was I leaving a driver's license at a museum's front desk. I have never been asked to do this before and was quite annoyed at the request. Turned me off to the whole museum which in any event was smaller than I expected. Walked around the sculpture garden and left within a half hour. Wished I had gone on a Friday night when it's free. That's what it's worth.

Visited February 2013

San Diego, California
5 attraction reviews
“LOVE this Gem of a Musuem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I love this museum. We lucked into free Friday night and didn't want to leave. So much great art in a setting that is not overwhelming. So much to see but well organized and wonderful layout. I have been there before and will visit again. One of my fave museums.

Visited March 2012
21 attraction reviews
“Amazing collection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I went to NSM with my son's AP European History class and was kicking myself that I had never been there before. So many famous and important pieces from the all-stars of art. Smaller intimate museum, but packed with wonderful masterpieces!

Las Vegas, Nevada
20 attraction reviews
“Art and culture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Parking can be frustrating but once in the museum one can spend days and not see it all. If you're into art, this is a must see.

Visited December 2012
La Mesa, CA.
87 attraction reviews
“Smaller but excellent Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were in Pasadena recently and went to the Norton Simon Museum. It does not open until noon so it is hard to see all if it in one day, if you like to read to extensive material by each painting. Very good collection of European Art, a lot of South Asia statuary which is not a biggie with us and we should have skipped it to see the contemporary works.

The temporary exhibit was not all that interesting but I am a little jaded.

The amazing part is that Mr. Simon put the collection together in only 30 years, astonishing what you can do with a good eye and LOTS of money.

Certainly worth while to visit and easy to get to from the west end of Colorado Blvd.

Visited January 2013