“Disgusting!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Paradise
El Cajon, California, United States
“Disgusting!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This motel is disgusting, slimy, and filthy. I was with some people who had come up to Paradise to attend a memorial service and this is the place they chose for us to stay the night at. I was appalled. The pool was slimy slimy slimy and dark green with clouds of mosquitoes hovering above it. The room we stayed in was on the second floor and I was afraid to even sit on the bed for fear of catching a disease from the bed spread. After being in there for 10 minutes, I wanted to take a Purell shower then douse myself with alcohol and light myself on fire just to be sure I got all the germs off me. The front office person was rude and unkempt which actually seemed appropriate considering the sheet hole she was working in. I refused to stay there and we drove back home after the service was over rather than suffer overnight in that nightmare place.

Room Tip: Any room in any other motel is a better room than one in this cesspool motel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
American Canyon, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I wasn't expecting a 5 star experience for the money I paid, but I did expect cleanliness. The whole room was dirty and badly maintained. The bathroom had body hair in the corners and the pipes under the sink had a thick layer of dust. The sink didn't drain correctly and took 10 minutes to drain. The TV, Fridge, microwave and coffeemaker were all plugged into the same powerstrip and it was covered with dust. The only bedside lamp started smoking and the bulb blew the second night so we had to unplug the lamp to prevent a fire. We will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Northern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

The photos are entirely deceptive. This is one of the worst motels I have ever stayed in. There were spiders on the filthy walls, yellow spots on the bedspreads and pillows. The pool has been drained and is non functional (we had no plans to use it anyway). The room was freezing cold and the clerk was quite irritated by our request for extra blankets to supplement the thin and filthy ones already on the bed. The door lock didn't work properly, making us more grateful for the deadbolt. While the motel wasn't even close to full-capacity, we were awoken at 3:00 by a very loud couple, who had just been checked into the room adjacent to ours. PARTY TIME!! When we called the desk to complained, they called OUR room asking US to quiet down. When the desk finally called the correct room and the offending guests received their "keep it down" call, WE were treated to delightful verbal abuse through the paper-thin walls and (fortunately locked) adjoining door. We originally booked 2 nights, but are much too self-respecting to have subjected ourselves to another night of this misery. Because we booked through Expedia, we'll need to take up any refund with them. Hotel management was entirely indifferent to our complaints and the idea of a refund. IF YOU HAVE A SHRED OF DIGNITY, STAY ANYWHERE ELSE BUT HERE. I gave it 1 star, because no stars isn't an option.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

The owner manager was very helpful and nice. Rooms basic but clean. There was a swimming pool but contained no water. Most people seemed to be on stopover for one or two evenings. There was plenty of storage space outside the bathroom area and between the bedroom with an ironing board.

• Stayed August 2012
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The owners may be nice, but the hotel room was dirty and outdated. Furthermore, the pool was DRAINED. In the middle of summer. With temperatures soaring well into the 90's. Needless to say, we will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and stayed here for a week while in Paradise visiting family. The motel is old, so I was expecting to see the usual wear and tear. The level of cleanliness and attention to detail was bare minimum. There were spiderwebs above the shower, and the room wasn't vacuumed the entire week we were there. Each time the room was "cleaned", the bed was made, trash emptied, and clean towels were provided. The pool is out of service. Not because it's broken, but because the owner decided not to comply with a new state law requiring all public pools to have a hydraulic lift for ADA. Having a pool was one of the things I was looking for so for that reason alone I won't stay here anymore. Lastly, the rooms are all non smoking but be prepared to smell smoke when your neighbor decides to light up. There front door wasn't sealed so everything just drifted right in...even at 2am.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Basingstoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

The motel owner & his wife are a very friendly & helpful couple who told us the best places to eat & even where the best laundromat was.They even gave us extra towels when I asked for them.
A previous reviewer, who clearly has a low IQ & even lower spelling ability slagged this place off. I paid online for my room which worked out at £41. An absolute bargain considering how clean the room was, the newness of the fittings, even down to making sure we had a secure place to park our motorbike next to his car! The pool isn't open BUT don't blame him, blame Californian safety regulations, they're ridiculous!
As to what the other occupants of the motel get up to.....if you don't like it ask them to tone it down a bit, it usually works for me. Don't blame the owner for other people's behaviour, they aren't his responsibility.
I highly recommend this as a place to stay & I've stayed in a lot of motels around the USA.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Paradise Inn? Share your experiences!