“Good as it gets in Northern California” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 313 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Mexican
Cambridge MA
“Good as it gets in Northern California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Listen, this is just a little cafeteria/cantina on El Camino Real. For what it is, it's terrific. The tacos are good, service fast and helpful; I love this sort of place. Overall, you can do better at the right taco truck in Southern California, but given where it is, it's as good as it gets.

Visited August 2011

Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“I love everything about this place. Want the meaning of "Mexican food" revolutionized?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

"El Grullense." Spanish for "no regrets."

I've eaten an entire one of their massive veggie burritos. How could I not? The soft whole wheat tortilla, the whole black beans, the cheese and sour cream and tomato... Spritzed with lime and the salsa verde from the salsa bar, or the hot chipotle salsa if you prefer... This is the kind of food that could end human trafficking, animal cruelty, and the lasting genetic and social repercussions of Chernobyl. It's that good.

I love the bright pink exterior. I love paying $5.50 for what should by all means be two meals. I love their slightly soft homemade tortilla chips. I love their pico de gallo with just the right amount of jalapeno. I love that they serve diet cokes. I love the prospect of maybe one day having enough room to try one of their milkshakes. And I love that from now on, anytime I say I'm in the mood for Mexican, my boyfriend will know what I really mean, and will respond, in his best Spanish accent: "El GrullENse!"

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Palo Alto, California
“my favorite Mexican place in Palo Alto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

When El Grullense and J&G merged they took the two best places for Mexican Food and made one great place. I have not found anything on their menu I don't like. So difficult to pick from their large menu but often head back to the very tender tongue tacos. There are so many good places to eat in Palo Alto, but when I go on the road for my work, I always think of El Grullense and it is the first place I visit for my return meal. If you are expecting an elegant place to eat you need to look elsewhere, it is a bear bones place but inviting. It is my to go place for inexpensive and excellent Mexican food.

Visited June 2011
Palo Alto, California
“Yummo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

While visiting Palo Alto we found this restaurant on trip advisor, authentic mexican food. Highly recommend, atmosphere is not the greatest but the food is really good.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
US
“A Go-To Restaurant for Residents and Visitors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

So often at the end of the week we'll look up and say to one another "It's a Grullo night...". Taqueria El Grullense is a friendly, fast, easy, well-priced lunch or dinner experience. The food is tasty and there's lean (fish, poultry) and vegetarian options in addition to beef and pork dishes. I had the Camarones al Mojo de Ajo this evening. Since I look to TripAdvisor for reviews in places where I travel; I wanted to do the same for people coming to the city where I live.

• Visited June 2011