“Could easily be better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Could easily be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I used this hotel because it was 'headquarters' for the conference I was attending at Stanford. My request for a room on a high floor by email two months earlier was ignored. When I checked in, I assigned to a room on the fifth floor and I was told the only room left was on the first floor. Turns out it was down a long dark hallway and had no windows. When my colleague and I went back to the front desk to request a room change a different and friendlier clerk assigned me a room on the fifth floor adjacent to my colleague's! The room itself was fine. Nice touch-- you can open the window and I enjoyed the fresh air. We did not partake of the expensive breakfast, but enjoyed Dinah's poolside restaurant across the street ( suggested by a local we met in the bar). That was a lovey spot with outdoor tables and yummy well-priced omelets. Speaking of the bar, they were out of many wines on the menu, but the manager was nice enough to give us a price break because the wine we ordered was not available. I felt that $12 for parking was ridiculous and so easily found on-street parking. The pool hours were inconvenient. Opening at 9 am, we had to be at the conference so couldn't swim early in the morning and one of the four nights we returned hoping for late afterdnoon dip, the pool was being used by a private party. One of the three treadmills in the fitness center was out of order. Otherwise it was clean and most of the staff were very courteous. Overall, just average.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Ellen K,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you found the service provided by our staff commendable.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with room assignment and that you were not able to enjoy our pool. On the other hand, I am glad that our front desk was able to sort out your concerns in a timely manner. We will certainly use your comments and rest assured that each concern raised on your review will be looked into.

Once again, thank you for staying and I hope we get another privilege to provide you with a more memorable stay in the future.

Faith R

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Had my family stay there a few days ago. Frances & Lee took really great care of my family and gave them great recomendation of places to visit and eateries. The room was really nice. My parents & brother, were by the swimming pool and they had a really nice patio outside the room. Will be back for another visit, real soon, plan on staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We were so very delighted to hear your wonderful review of our hotel and more importantly about two of our employees, Frances and Lee. I'm so happy they were able to assist you with great recommendations for local places to visit and eat!

We look forward to your return and hope it is sooner than later...and please share your great stay with family and friends.

And please don't hesitate to contact me should I ever be of assistance to you pre-stay, during your stay and even after your stay.

Cheers...Matt

Matthew Swanson
matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Lets Itemize the problems.
- Two rude front desk clerks, They say they don’t have a room, I request, and 10 minutes later I hear they offer a nice room to the later arriving guest.
- Room light not working, have to walk back all the way to the front desk they call the maintenance to come and turn on the light at 11:30 pm when I checked in.
- Requested change of the room, the front desk point me to the direction took me 15 minutes to find the room the other side of the hotel. She didn't offer a map or anything where this room would be.
- Big gap under the door cold air blasting
- Phone in room not working, called from my cell phone maintenance brought a pool towel to stick under the door to stop the wind air blast from outside.
- Heater didn't work I froze from cold all night.
- Refrigerator Dirty, not working, making random noise all night. Called front desk to have them ask maintenance to come in and unplug it to let me sleep, the rude front desk woman told me just unplug it. The cabinet that holds the refrigerator is giant I told her it is too heavy for me to move. She replied with a rude comment.
- Morning woke up to take a shower, all the bathroom area was infested with ants. Called front desk they send someone with Windex!
- The bed bugs bit me on two places was suffering the whole week from that.
- Can it get any worse. It is the worst hotel, worst room, worst front desk clerks I have ever seen in my life. I was in town for business but checked out the second day and went to an excellent hotel after that instead.
- Even though they refunded my money, who cares I suffered for two days and had no sleep while I was there for business.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Kevin F,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Hotel was probably grand in its heyday but now it is faded and dated. We stay there only because it is well located between Stanford and Castro Street restaurants. Rooms are clean. Maid service and front desk service are both reluctant and "I'm going to do as little as I possibly can." There is a HIlton Garden Inn about a 1/2 block away that should open sometime in the Fall of 2014 and I hope to stay there soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear jbabq,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are glad you liked our convenient location. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
McKinney, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This was a (relatively speaking) bargain hotel in an otherwise very expensive town. It's older and looked like a fun place in its heyday. (Case in point: they advertise that the Beatles stay there (before they were big)!) For the price, it was just fine.

The bar is small. The restaurant is lame (cafeteria feel). The free coffee in the lobby is excellent and plentiful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hello Sara S.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Palo Alto. As a valued guests, we appreciate all your feedback and welcome any opportunity to improve. I apologize you felt the bar was small and the restaurant was not inviting. We are in the process of beginning property renovations and one of the areas we will be creating a more welcoming and enjoyable dining area for our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. I hope to be able to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,

Matt Swanson
Boise, ID
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you go down Camino Real, your notice that about the only hotels are actually motels that were built in the 60s. Its sort of strange but the owners make out like bandits. Crowne Plaza was my first time visit and while the hotel building is oldish, the rooms were okay. They really need to have a nice desk and bigger TV as they have this sort of strange set up with a refrig with nothing in it. Staff is nice, got breakfast for part of the price and about the same as a Courtyard.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear PorscheBoxster,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent travel to Palo Alto. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the breakfast included in your room and surely our staff will be delighted to know about your positive comment towards them. As one of our valued guests, we appreciate all your feedback and we certainly welcome any opportunity to improve. Should your future travel plans bring you back to the area, we would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Boise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stay here every time I've got business in Palo Alto. It's centrally located to businesses on Page Mill / Hansen Way, like the HP corporate site and Varian Associates, Stanford, and a ton of great restaurants.

I love the staff at the Crowne Plaza. So helpful, and goes above and beyond the call of duty.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello Fooj888,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words and for allowing us to be your hotel of choice when traveling to the area. I am so glad to hear that you enjoy your time with us.

We strive to make your stay as memorable as possible and I am glad that we have been able to do so for you. I will be sure to share your response with my team and let them know, what a wonderful job they are doing.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Matt Swanson
650.628.0124

Been to Crowne Plaza Palo Alto? Share your experiences!