“Best customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
“Best customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Had my family stay there a few days ago. Frances & Lee took really great care of my family and gave them great recomendation of places to visit and eateries. The room was really nice. My parents & brother, were by the swimming pool and they had a really nice patio outside the room. Will be back for another visit, real soon, plan on staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We were so very delighted to hear your wonderful review of our hotel and more importantly about two of our employees, Frances and Lee. I'm so happy they were able to assist you with great recommendations for local places to visit and eat!

We look forward to your return and hope it is sooner than later...and please share your great stay with family and friends.

And please don't hesitate to contact me should I ever be of assistance to you pre-stay, during your stay and even after your stay.

Cheers...Matt

Matthew Swanson
matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Lets Itemize the problems.
- Two rude front desk clerks, They say they don’t have a room, I request, and 10 minutes later I hear they offer a nice room to the later arriving guest.
- Room light not working, have to walk back all the way to the front desk they call the maintenance to come and turn on the light at 11:30 pm when I checked in.
- Requested change of the room, the front desk point me to the direction took me 15 minutes to find the room the other side of the hotel. She didn't offer a map or anything where this room would be.
- Big gap under the door cold air blasting
- Phone in room not working, called from my cell phone maintenance brought a pool towel to stick under the door to stop the wind air blast from outside.
- Heater didn't work I froze from cold all night.
- Refrigerator Dirty, not working, making random noise all night. Called front desk to have them ask maintenance to come in and unplug it to let me sleep, the rude front desk woman told me just unplug it. The cabinet that holds the refrigerator is giant I told her it is too heavy for me to move. She replied with a rude comment.
- Morning woke up to take a shower, all the bathroom area was infested with ants. Called front desk they send someone with Windex!
- The bed bugs bit me on two places was suffering the whole week from that.
- Can it get any worse. It is the worst hotel, worst room, worst front desk clerks I have ever seen in my life. I was in town for business but checked out the second day and went to an excellent hotel after that instead.
- Even though they refunded my money, who cares I suffered for two days and had no sleep while I was there for business.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Kevin F,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Hotel was probably grand in its heyday but now it is faded and dated. We stay there only because it is well located between Stanford and Castro Street restaurants. Rooms are clean. Maid service and front desk service are both reluctant and "I'm going to do as little as I possibly can." There is a HIlton Garden Inn about a 1/2 block away that should open sometime in the Fall of 2014 and I hope to stay there soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear jbabq,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are glad you liked our convenient location. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
McKinney, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This was a (relatively speaking) bargain hotel in an otherwise very expensive town. It's older and looked like a fun place in its heyday. (Case in point: they advertise that the Beatles stay there (before they were big)!) For the price, it was just fine.

The bar is small. The restaurant is lame (cafeteria feel). The free coffee in the lobby is excellent and plentiful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hello Sara S.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Palo Alto. As a valued guests, we appreciate all your feedback and welcome any opportunity to improve. I apologize you felt the bar was small and the restaurant was not inviting. We are in the process of beginning property renovations and one of the areas we will be creating a more welcoming and enjoyable dining area for our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. I hope to be able to welcome you again soon.

Boise, ID
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you go down Camino Real, your notice that about the only hotels are actually motels that were built in the 60s. Its sort of strange but the owners make out like bandits. Crowne Plaza was my first time visit and while the hotel building is oldish, the rooms were okay. They really need to have a nice desk and bigger TV as they have this sort of strange set up with a refrig with nothing in it. Staff is nice, got breakfast for part of the price and about the same as a Courtyard.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear PorscheBoxster,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent travel to Palo Alto. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the breakfast included in your room and surely our staff will be delighted to know about your positive comment towards them. As one of our valued guests, we appreciate all your feedback and we certainly welcome any opportunity to improve. Should your future travel plans bring you back to the area, we would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Boise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stay here every time I've got business in Palo Alto. It's centrally located to businesses on Page Mill / Hansen Way, like the HP corporate site and Varian Associates, Stanford, and a ton of great restaurants.

I love the staff at the Crowne Plaza. So helpful, and goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Hello Fooj888,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words and for allowing us to be your hotel of choice when traveling to the area. I am so glad to hear that you enjoy your time with us.

We strive to make your stay as memorable as possible and I am glad that we have been able to do so for you. I will be sure to share your response with my team and let them know, what a wonderful job they are doing.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I had a 3 night stay booked for a training at my company's office and one of the hotels with a negotiated rate was the Crowne Plaza. I'm normally a Hilton hotel guy but they were all sold out. From the outside it looks very nice and there was lots of parking with attendants (they charge you to park). I arrived on a Tuesday night about 11pm and was told the hotel was overbooked and they had no rooms for me that night. The front desk staff, (Lee and another lady) explained it to me and said they would put me up at another hotel just down the street for one night and then put me in an executive level suite for my remaining two nights when they had rooms available. Lee also bought me dinner on the second night of my stay.

I accepted the offer but really it gave me nothing as I wasn't paying for the hotel nor the dinner. My company pays for it so I had to deal with the issue but my company benefited. I was tired and didn't want to argue and if the hotel is full, it's full, not like they are going to kick someone out. So I came back the following day.

I checked in the next day and received a room on the 8th floor. I was given a handicapped room (buzzer out front) and was concerned as usually they are different and have roll in showers and other amenities to assist those who need it. But the inside didn't appear to be any different than any other room with a regular tub/shower and bathroom. The room was large and had a nice new LCD TV on a huge dresser with plenty of room for clothing.

The bathroom was large and the closet was in the bathroom. It was a minor inconvenience as the door to the bathroom and the closet doors interacted with each other but overall was a nice set up other than that. They don't provide much in the way of stuff other than shampoo/conditioner and lotion. Most of the higher end hotels in their executive level suites they have liquid soap, mouthwash, etc. The next day however housekeeping took my bathmat and didn't replace it so I had to use an extra towel. The shower was nice but sloped downward toward the front a bit and was a bit disconcerting when your eyes are closed washing your hair. You tend to want to fall forward so I could see this being a bit unsafe.

The bedroom had a chair, desk, nice king bed and good lighting. The bed was soft and comfortable for me but there was A LOT of noise from water running. I assume the water pipes run near the room for every room in the hotel as it seemed like water was running in my bathroom all hours I was there and at night when trying to sleep it was pretty loud.

The WiFi was free (not sure if that was the rate I was on or it's free all the time) but it was very slow at times. Connecting to my company's VPN was difficult or impossible at times.

The fitness center was of good size with 3 treadmills, weight machines, free weights and other fitness equipment. The room was kept cool and felt comfortable.

The restaurant had a very limited selection for dinner. I was expecting quite a bit more selection for my dinner on the first night but settled on a bacon cheeseburger and an appetizer of wings. Service was good but there were only two of us in there and the bar across the way had more people in it. For breakfast there is a good selection of fruit (pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples) and hot items such as eggs, bacon, sausage and waffles/french toast. The bacon is a good thick cut bacon and not the really thin sliced stuff which was nice. They had muffins, danish and bread for toast along with juices, milk and water as well as a smoothie mixed up for you. Breakfast was included in my rate but it's a very good breakfast and probably worth the money if you are paying for it.

The parking was a bit weird. They gave you a ticket and you would go park or choose valet parking. Self parking was a row behind valet parking or further back if full and they had overnight vs daily parking on different sides of the lot. I'm not sure if I was supposed to swap out my ticket daily or what but it just wasn't really clear. I just ended up pulling in and parking and skipping the ticket guy.

There were a couple of events while I was there out back and they didn't interfere with the hotel at all which was nice.

Overall I'd recommend the hotel if you can't get into your normal hotel type. They attempted to take care of the situation for me when I was overbooked out which was nice, it just didn't net me anything other than an upgraded room to a floor that was listed as executive but didn't have a lounge or anything so it was just another floor.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the middle of the floor to avoid the water sound if it is indeed an end room is...