“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Hotel was probably grand in its heyday but now it is faded and dated. We stay there only because it is well located between Stanford and Castro Street restaurants. Rooms are clean. Maid service and front desk service are both reluctant and "I'm going to do as little as I possibly can." There is a HIlton Garden Inn about a 1/2 block away that should open sometime in the Fall of 2014 and I hope to stay there soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear jbabq,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are glad you liked our convenient location. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
McKinney, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This was a (relatively speaking) bargain hotel in an otherwise very expensive town. It's older and looked like a fun place in its heyday. (Case in point: they advertise that the Beatles stay there (before they were big)!) For the price, it was just fine.

The bar is small. The restaurant is lame (cafeteria feel). The free coffee in the lobby is excellent and plentiful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Hello Sara S.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Palo Alto. As a valued guests, we appreciate all your feedback and welcome any opportunity to improve. I apologize you felt the bar was small and the restaurant was not inviting. We are in the process of beginning property renovations and one of the areas we will be creating a more welcoming and enjoyable dining area for our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. I hope to be able to welcome you again soon.

Boise, ID
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you go down Camino Real, your notice that about the only hotels are actually motels that were built in the 60s. Its sort of strange but the owners make out like bandits. Crowne Plaza was my first time visit and while the hotel building is oldish, the rooms were okay. They really need to have a nice desk and bigger TV as they have this sort of strange set up with a refrig with nothing in it. Staff is nice, got breakfast for part of the price and about the same as a Courtyard.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear PorscheBoxster,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent travel to Palo Alto. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the breakfast included in your room and surely our staff will be delighted to know about your positive comment towards them. As one of our valued guests, we appreciate all your feedback and we certainly welcome any opportunity to improve. Should your future travel plans bring you back to the area, we would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Boise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stay here every time I've got business in Palo Alto. It's centrally located to businesses on Page Mill / Hansen Way, like the HP corporate site and Varian Associates, Stanford, and a ton of great restaurants.

I love the staff at the Crowne Plaza. So helpful, and goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Hello Fooj888,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words and for allowing us to be your hotel of choice when traveling to the area. I am so glad to hear that you enjoy your time with us.

We strive to make your stay as memorable as possible and I am glad that we have been able to do so for you. I will be sure to share your response with my team and let them know, what a wonderful job they are doing.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I had a 3 night stay booked for a training at my company's office and one of the hotels with a negotiated rate was the Crowne Plaza. I'm normally a Hilton hotel guy but they were all sold out. From the outside it looks very nice and there was lots of parking with attendants (they charge you to park). I arrived on a Tuesday night about 11pm and was told the hotel was overbooked and they had no rooms for me that night. The front desk staff, (Lee and another lady) explained it to me and said they would put me up at another hotel just down the street for one night and then put me in an executive level suite for my remaining two nights when they had rooms available. Lee also bought me dinner on the second night of my stay.

I accepted the offer but really it gave me nothing as I wasn't paying for the hotel nor the dinner. My company pays for it so I had to deal with the issue but my company benefited. I was tired and didn't want to argue and if the hotel is full, it's full, not like they are going to kick someone out. So I came back the following day.

I checked in the next day and received a room on the 8th floor. I was given a handicapped room (buzzer out front) and was concerned as usually they are different and have roll in showers and other amenities to assist those who need it. But the inside didn't appear to be any different than any other room with a regular tub/shower and bathroom. The room was large and had a nice new LCD TV on a huge dresser with plenty of room for clothing.

The bathroom was large and the closet was in the bathroom. It was a minor inconvenience as the door to the bathroom and the closet doors interacted with each other but overall was a nice set up other than that. They don't provide much in the way of stuff other than shampoo/conditioner and lotion. Most of the higher end hotels in their executive level suites they have liquid soap, mouthwash, etc. The next day however housekeeping took my bathmat and didn't replace it so I had to use an extra towel. The shower was nice but sloped downward toward the front a bit and was a bit disconcerting when your eyes are closed washing your hair. You tend to want to fall forward so I could see this being a bit unsafe.

The bedroom had a chair, desk, nice king bed and good lighting. The bed was soft and comfortable for me but there was A LOT of noise from water running. I assume the water pipes run near the room for every room in the hotel as it seemed like water was running in my bathroom all hours I was there and at night when trying to sleep it was pretty loud.

The WiFi was free (not sure if that was the rate I was on or it's free all the time) but it was very slow at times. Connecting to my company's VPN was difficult or impossible at times.

The fitness center was of good size with 3 treadmills, weight machines, free weights and other fitness equipment. The room was kept cool and felt comfortable.

The restaurant had a very limited selection for dinner. I was expecting quite a bit more selection for my dinner on the first night but settled on a bacon cheeseburger and an appetizer of wings. Service was good but there were only two of us in there and the bar across the way had more people in it. For breakfast there is a good selection of fruit (pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples) and hot items such as eggs, bacon, sausage and waffles/french toast. The bacon is a good thick cut bacon and not the really thin sliced stuff which was nice. They had muffins, danish and bread for toast along with juices, milk and water as well as a smoothie mixed up for you. Breakfast was included in my rate but it's a very good breakfast and probably worth the money if you are paying for it.

The parking was a bit weird. They gave you a ticket and you would go park or choose valet parking. Self parking was a row behind valet parking or further back if full and they had overnight vs daily parking on different sides of the lot. I'm not sure if I was supposed to swap out my ticket daily or what but it just wasn't really clear. I just ended up pulling in and parking and skipping the ticket guy.

There were a couple of events while I was there out back and they didn't interfere with the hotel at all which was nice.

Overall I'd recommend the hotel if you can't get into your normal hotel type. They attempted to take care of the situation for me when I was overbooked out which was nice, it just didn't net me anything other than an upgraded room to a floor that was listed as executive but didn't have a lounge or anything so it was just another floor.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the middle of the floor to avoid the water sound if it is indeed an end room is...
Hello Robertsonland,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. We appreciate all guest reviews, both positive and negative, and are glad that we were able to meet your expectations.

I do apologize that we were oversold on the night of your arrival, however I will be sure to share with my team that you appreciated their efforts to make, what can be a very stressful situation, more comfortable.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast selection. We have recently welcomed Executive Chef Herbert Ng, who is in the process of infusing more diverse and inspired options into both our breakfast and dinner service. We are looking forward to the release of our new menu soon.

Thank you again and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

After many tries in different places, I've found out this hotel to embody the ideal compromise: room size and facilities, parking space, closeness to running track (Los Altos bike path), large swimming pool, 24h gym... "Reasonable" fares for my company. No brainer for me.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms around the swimming pool, not in the main building
Hello Yoyo3008,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on our property. We appreciate your feed back and are very glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations on your recent stay with the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. Our team takes their roles very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect. I will share your kind words with them .
Thank you again and I look forward to being your hotel of choice when traveling to the Palo Alto area.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a 2 week business trip. I did not book this hotel but I was told it was quite pricey by my colleague who booked the hotel. This hotel needs a lot of TLC and apparently for the price could do with a bit of work. The decor is tired and in need of an update. A full refurbishment is desperately needed. Some of the staff even had holes in their uniforms which I think is pretty unacceptable for a global brand like Crown Plaza. A lot of the room doors bang so you can hear people coming and going which can be a problem when trying to sleep. The staff on the other hand were very polite and pleasant and the food that I ordered was of good quality. I'm sad to say would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Kymbilli,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am pleased to know that you found our food highly commendable and staff very polite and pleasant. Our staff does their utmost to provide you with excellent service and an optimized stay, therefore we are delighted to hear that you experienced this as such.

I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation regarding the hotel condition and noise challenges encountered. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Palo Alto? Share your experiences!