“worse than expected” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Palo Alto
Seattle
“worse than expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

late-night reception was unfriendly.

We got the Beatles room (surprise -- no one stole the old vinyl records &wrappers); slept well (just 1 bed now -- presumably more in 1963 ...)

Breakfast service as slow &sloppy: wrong tea, cold porridge (my wife -- later either reheated or allegedly fresh remade), cold potatoes (me -- at leasst omelette was warm &fresh). Waitress did not seem to care.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear GideonSeattle,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. It is regrettable your stay was negative affected by the poor service you experienced during breakfast. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

As a woman traveling alone on business, I did not like how the entrance to my room was in the very back next to an alley/parking lot. Felt very secluded, no hallway or anything to go through. Also would have expected a little more outdoor food/beverage service. I sat at a table by the pool for three hours and was never once offered a drink or food. Had to bring everything inside for service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Jackie J,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room assignment prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had booked a poolside cabana...and specifically wanted a poolside cabana. When I arrived I was told I had been "upgraded" to a suite. This is not at all what I wanted. The room was enormous and largely felt void of furniture. A huge entry hall was barren. The desk chair was broken and the sliders onto the patio only locked with a pole jammed in - the doors themselves didn't lock. The decor didn't work. At all. After the first night I requested to move to what I had booked. While the room itself was much better it didnt feel particularly clean, with dust bunnies in the bathroom. When I checked out, the front desk clerk was so phoney it was offputting. Lobby area was just mediocre, as was the breakfast. For the price I'd expect better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear brently55,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the room assigned to you. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here for a week on business, the hotel is great and the staff is very friendly. It appears the hotel was recently renovated and everything about the hotel felt new.

I highly recommend this hotel as it was probably one of the nicest crowne plaza's I've stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Michael J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad you appreciated our recent renovation. I look forward to sharing with the team your comments on how friendly the staff is.

The most we can ever ask for is a recommendation from our guests, so thank you for recommending us in the way that you did. We look forward to welcoming back to Palo Alto, and to the Crowne Plaza.

Chris Jones
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed in the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto in September for a business trip. On the plus side, all staff were very attentive, friendly and helpful.

The downside: I really felt unsafe walking to my room, as the walkway leading to every room is exposed with easy access from the car park. Upon me checking in and without me prompting, the receptionist immediately told me she would suggest I change my groundfloor room to one on the 1st floor, as I would feel safer. Considering I felt very exposed getting from my room to the hotel reception every day, I can only imagine how bad the ground floor would have been.

The room was perfectly fine, clean etc. The outside corridors leading to the room were a little shabby and dirty.

Other downside: the other advertises a free shuttle taking customers to various local businesses etc. You really have to book this a few days in advance, as the driver can only manage one location per hour slot (for example: Google at 8am, Facebook at 9am etc).

Room Tip: Don't get a poolside room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear joolsdeb,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please accept our apologies that your stay was not 100% satisfactory. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

So Breakfast is surprisingly good here and although the staff inst the most helpful or convenient, they did offer a perk which proved to be 10x worth its weight in gold. Free Shuttle. Hahaa, ever tried parking in Downtown Palo Alto? Oh man, the shuttle made me feel like I was in a Limo with the convenience. The room was modern, clean and fully stocked. If in palo alto, I would stay here again. Must have a car. Public Transportation isn't as refined here

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was excited when my company sent me to this property and it defiantly lived up to the hype. I didn't know about the historical aspects of this property, but it just served as the cherry on the top of this great hotel.
Checking into my room, a huge room with french doors leading out to my own private patio overlooking the pool deck. I had to double check with the front desk to make sure I didn't accidentally get a suite. I was that big. Add to that that the free WiFi, the outlets everywhere in the room, and the "Sleep Advantage" amenities, I can't wait to take a family trip and bring my hubby to this place.
The bartender was super nice, and so was the restaurant staff that delivered my breakfast. Everyone was so nice.
The only downside is there is no airport shuttle, and nothing nearby worth walking to. But that's ok, it can be my own private island.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
The Westin Palo Alto
#8 of 26 in Palo Alto
4.0 of 5 stars 503 reviews
The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Palo Alto? Share your experiences!