“Best experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Palo Alto
“Best experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The staff made our stay memorable. My husband ordered champagne to celebrate our anniversary when he booked our room but when we checked in, they upgraded our room to a suite with a heart shaped rose petals on our king size bed with the champagne, fruits, cheese, crackers, and a personal note from the staff. They exceeded our expectations. By far the best experience we had.

• Stayed May 2013
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
bang_080,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased that you chose to celebrate your annivesary at our hotel. We were happy to have had the suite available for your upgrade.

I am pleased to hear that my team went over and above with the amenities and the rose petals on the bed. I look forward to sharing your review with all of the team, they appreciate you taking the time to let them know you appreciated their efforts!

Again, thank you so much for the kind words, and we hope you celebrate a future special occasion with us.

Chris Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our experience at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto was a bit lacking.

Rooms: First off, we had requested a room near our friends when making the reservation and ended up across the hotel. Which is fine, but they put us in a handicapped room without any warning. I probably would have been less annoyed by this if we had been told when we were checking in. The room had a shorter closet that had my dresses dragging on the floor and a bathroom that was a combined shower and toilet. Which was made even worse by the fact that the shower curtain wasn't long enough and you had to decide whether you soaked the sink area or the toilet while you showered, in addition to not being able to keep the warm air in the shower area.

We did call the front desk immediately after arriving to change rooms but were told there were no other rooms available. Had it been a normal room, it would have been a much better experience. However, I don't like the layout of the Crowne Plaza where there isn't a sink to get ready in outside of the bathroom area.

Lobby: There is some sort of horrible smell machine that pumps insanely perfume-y smells in the lobby. I honestly couldn't even sit in this room.

Pool: The pool is actually really nice. I love the layout of the pool with the seating areas and the jacuzzi shape. However, there were no towels when we went out and all the lounge chairs were taken - it just seemed like there weren't enough lounge chairs for the size of the hotel. And the pool is lined with black bricks which make it impossible to sit on the edge of the pool without burning yourself.

Fitness Room: Good amount of equipment but a little claustraphobic. We tried to use it but all the machines were taken, so we ran outside instead.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. I would have chosen another chain that I've used before (probably one with free breakfast) had it not been the one the wedding block was in, but they definitely didn't win me over. They did have free wifi, which was great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
kittenwrangler,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that the room we assigned at check-in did not meet your needs. We are required by law to have a set number of ADA assessible rooms at the property, and on sold out nights, those are used by guests that do not need the ADA features of the room. I apologize for our front desk staff not making you aware of this before you went to room, they should have informed you at the time of check-in.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our pool are, it is one of the largest pool's in the Palo Alto area and is always a big hit with our guests. I appreciate your feedback regarding the number of chairs, as this is something we will be looking in to.

I am sorry that we were unable to win you over, but would appreciate the opportunity to win you back on your next visit to Palo Alto. Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Best Regards,

Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The entire staff was very helpful, accommodating and friendly. The buffet breakfast was delicious but a little pricey. The pool and pool area was clean and relaxing. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Greg R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I appreicate your kind words regarding how friendly our staff was during your stay. I look forward to sharing your comments with our teams during our departmental meetings this week. They appreciate hearing from our guests.

I am glad you had some time to enjoy our pool area! Please come back and visit soon during your next visit to Palo Alto.

Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We enrolled my daughter in Stanford Volleyball Camp for a 8 days in the summer, and I needed a place to stay that was close by. Very convenient drive from Stanford, and close to shopping, movie theaters, and restaurants. This hotel is awesome. Not only a very clean hotel, but lots of bathroom space, living space, and a fridge in the room. Loved it. But the best part of this hotel is the people. The bell desk was great . . . .not overly staffed, but very personable and nice. The front desk people were fabulous in getting our room cleaned very quickly so my young daughter did not have to wait for too long. The restaurant had great food, the bartenders were so much fun, and the pool was so relaxing and rejuvenating. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, and the Crown Plaza Cabana is right up there with those hotels!!

Room Tip: We needed two double beds in the room for children, and those are only available on the first two fl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
StaceyRandall,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a Tripadvisor review of our hotel. I appreciate all of your nice comments and it is great to be able to share your positive comments regarding our team with them so that they understand what an impact they have on your experience.

I hope you bring your daughter back for camp again and you chose us when staying in Palo Alto. Our location next to the Stanford campus is extremely convenient and with football season coming up we are proud say that we are the headquarter hotel for the Stanford Football Team.

Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Boise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

When I need to spend some time in Palo Alto, the Crowne Plaza is my favorite place. Close to HP and other core Si Valley companies, great restaurants in walking distance, conveniently located to Stanford, University Ave, etc. -- I love it. The conference rooms are very nice for medium sized groups. I stayed in a suite this last trip -- it was huge, and the deck was great, large enough for a gathering of 8 or so of my co-workers.

Room Tip: Go for a suite if that's in your budget. It's as large as a small apartment.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Fooj888,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto.

Im glad that we are your favorite hotel when visiting Silicon Valley! We are glad that you enjoyed a suite and had some time to do some entertaining on the private outdoor deck! Please keep us in mind for any future meetings as we specialize in creating a memorable group experience regardless of how big or small the group is.

We appreciate you giving us feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Palo Alto!

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have stayed various times in the Crowne Plaza over the last two years and I still enjoy going there. I have stayed pool side and in the tower and personally prefer the tower as the poolside rooms have interconnecting doors that let noise through. In the tower I get a great night sleep and wouldn't know there was someone in the room next door. The decor is a bit funky and does seem outdated but it's not. It's what the hotel tries to convey a step back in time to the Beatles. The swimming pool is fantastic in the summer time and a great chill out from a hard day at work. The fact that the hotel is not near the main Palo Alto University Avenue is a disadvantage but I didn't find it long to drive there. There is a running trail near by through a green belt, that back and forth to the hotel is about 5 miles in total. The one thing that still annoys me is the pettiness of charging of $10 for parking per night when it is not near anything. I have stayed in the Hilton in Mountainview and they never charge that. Apart from that, everything else is good in this hotel and the staff are always friendly. I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
PaulS,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Hotel. The pool continues to be a hit this summer and it is a great way to wind down after a hard day at work.

As the new General Manager I appreciate the nice comments regarding our staff. I look forward to sharing your review with our team as it is always a pleasure to hear you appreciate our warm friendly staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. Thanks again for taking the time to write the review.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great location, great property.....lots of potential. A few observations: 1) no valet parking, 2) no assistance available with luggage(I assume if you ask the front desk, they would assist), 3) when you drive up to the grand entrance, the void of vallet service and a bell hop service is obvious, 4) after a day in the city, we arrive back at the hotel to enjoy an evening at the pool. The pool, spa and cabanas is the center peice of this hotel(hence the name of hotel).......however, after 10 minutes at the cabana, we were told the pool shuts down at 9 and we needed to leave. The pool was active with families and couples, I felt bad for the employee who had to deliver this news.......guests were not happy! 9PM pool closing on a Saturday night in the middle of summer makes no sense. 5) no pool service. 6) understaffing appears to be a problem.

The rooms are updated and generally clean. This is to be expected of a hotel of this caliber.

I ordered a diet soda from the bar. The soda was all syrup with no bubbles. When I told the bar tender he told me he was aware of this and it wouldn't be fixed until Monday(it was Friday)......I asked why he still served it, he couldn't answer..... he brought us a can soda.

Now for the worst part.....Verizon and ATT cell coverage is very spotty. Worst yet, their wifi is very weak and needs a major upgrade. If you are traveling on business an rely on cell coverage and wifi, you need to find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
dmorris1352,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I appreciate the feedback.

I am disappointed that my valet/bell team was not available when you arrived. As we do offer both services for our guests. The team should have greeted you at the drive and offered assistance.

I appreciate your feedback regarding our pool hours. The next morning, the employee that closed the pool communicated that concern as well, and as a result of your review and his feedback we are keeping the pool open another hour until 10pm. We have to balance the closing time to be thoughtful of our poolside rooms, since we have our poolside rooms and we do not want to disturb those guests calling it an early night.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the quality of our guest rooms, as the property has recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation of all rooms and guest areas. Part of that upgrade was our wi-fi connectivity, so we are investigating the cause of the problem you encountered. Being in the heart of Silicon Valley, we understand the importance of fast, reliable, free internet access.

Again we appreciate the feedback and hope you come back and experience the hotel on your next trip to Palo Alto.

Chris Jones

Been to Crowne Plaza Palo Alto? Share your experiences!