“Centrally located, great conference facilities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Palo Alto
Boise
“Centrally located, great conference facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

When I need to spend some time in Palo Alto, the Crowne Plaza is my favorite place. Close to HP and other core Si Valley companies, great restaurants in walking distance, conveniently located to Stanford, University Ave, etc. -- I love it. The conference rooms are very nice for medium sized groups. I stayed in a suite this last trip -- it was huge, and the deck was great, large enough for a gathering of 8 or so of my co-workers.

Room Tip: Go for a suite if that's in your budget. It's as large as a small apartment.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Fooj888,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto.

Im glad that we are your favorite hotel when visiting Silicon Valley! We are glad that you enjoyed a suite and had some time to do some entertaining on the private outdoor deck! Please keep us in mind for any future meetings as we specialize in creating a memorable group experience regardless of how big or small the group is.

We appreciate you giving us feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Palo Alto!

Chris Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have stayed various times in the Crowne Plaza over the last two years and I still enjoy going there. I have stayed pool side and in the tower and personally prefer the tower as the poolside rooms have interconnecting doors that let noise through. In the tower I get a great night sleep and wouldn't know there was someone in the room next door. The decor is a bit funky and does seem outdated but it's not. It's what the hotel tries to convey a step back in time to the Beatles. The swimming pool is fantastic in the summer time and a great chill out from a hard day at work. The fact that the hotel is not near the main Palo Alto University Avenue is a disadvantage but I didn't find it long to drive there. There is a running trail near by through a green belt, that back and forth to the hotel is about 5 miles in total. The one thing that still annoys me is the pettiness of charging of $10 for parking per night when it is not near anything. I have stayed in the Hilton in Mountainview and they never charge that. Apart from that, everything else is good in this hotel and the staff are always friendly. I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
PaulS,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Hotel. The pool continues to be a hit this summer and it is a great way to wind down after a hard day at work.

As the new General Manager I appreciate the nice comments regarding our staff. I look forward to sharing your review with our team as it is always a pleasure to hear you appreciate our warm friendly staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. Thanks again for taking the time to write the review.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great location, great property.....lots of potential. A few observations: 1) no valet parking, 2) no assistance available with luggage(I assume if you ask the front desk, they would assist), 3) when you drive up to the grand entrance, the void of vallet service and a bell hop service is obvious, 4) after a day in the city, we arrive back at the hotel to enjoy an evening at the pool. The pool, spa and cabanas is the center peice of this hotel(hence the name of hotel).......however, after 10 minutes at the cabana, we were told the pool shuts down at 9 and we needed to leave. The pool was active with families and couples, I felt bad for the employee who had to deliver this news.......guests were not happy! 9PM pool closing on a Saturday night in the middle of summer makes no sense. 5) no pool service. 6) understaffing appears to be a problem.

The rooms are updated and generally clean. This is to be expected of a hotel of this caliber.

I ordered a diet soda from the bar. The soda was all syrup with no bubbles. When I told the bar tender he told me he was aware of this and it wouldn't be fixed until Monday(it was Friday)......I asked why he still served it, he couldn't answer..... he brought us a can soda.

Now for the worst part.....Verizon and ATT cell coverage is very spotty. Worst yet, their wifi is very weak and needs a major upgrade. If you are traveling on business an rely on cell coverage and wifi, you need to find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
dmorris1352,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I appreciate the feedback.

I am disappointed that my valet/bell team was not available when you arrived. As we do offer both services for our guests. The team should have greeted you at the drive and offered assistance.

I appreciate your feedback regarding our pool hours. The next morning, the employee that closed the pool communicated that concern as well, and as a result of your review and his feedback we are keeping the pool open another hour until 10pm. We have to balance the closing time to be thoughtful of our poolside rooms, since we have our poolside rooms and we do not want to disturb those guests calling it an early night.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the quality of our guest rooms, as the property has recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation of all rooms and guest areas. Part of that upgrade was our wi-fi connectivity, so we are investigating the cause of the problem you encountered. Being in the heart of Silicon Valley, we understand the importance of fast, reliable, free internet access.

Again we appreciate the feedback and hope you come back and experience the hotel on your next trip to Palo Alto.

Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wonderful clean hotel with a fabulous pool! We stayed in a cabana suite that overlooked the pool and it was wonderful and relaxing as few people were there when we were there. We loved staying in Palo Alto as it has lots of wonderful restaurants and shopping. We also took a nice stroll past Face Book founder, Mark Zuckerberg's home and also Steve Jobs home along with the Hewlett Packard Garage. They had free music in an outdoor swanky shopping center one night which was also fun. It was about a 30 minute drive to the coast where we enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Sam's Chowder House which is overlooking the Pacific Ocean. After our dinner, we took a stroll down by the ocean and splashed in the water a little before heading back. Before we left to head in to SF (only about 30 minutes away) we went up to take a pic of the Beetles room which made my day! We would definitely come back here! We had initially planned to drive it to SF from here and see some of the attractions but we were having such a nice relaxing time at the hotel pool we decided to just have a low key stay and enjoys the pool!

Room Tip: Enjoyed the cabana suite. You have a nice patio to enjoy a cup of coffee on. We picked up some foo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
ChristineC,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. Our pool area is the largest in the neighborhood, so I am glad that you had time to enjoy it.

The cabana suites that open up to our pool area provide a perfect way to start your day with a nice outdoor breakfast. I look forward to sharing your review with our team. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel during your next visit. Thanks again for the nice comments.

Auburn, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I reserved 2 rooms, one with a king bed and one with two queens for our 2 adult sons. When we arrived, we were told that there were no rooms left with two queens. The desk clerk was quite nice, but was overworked trying to answer a room service call, give directions on the phone and check us in all at the same time. We eventually accepted another king room because there was no alternative. Our breakfast at the restaurant was very good, but the dining room was also understaffed resulting in long waits to be seated, receive orders and get checks. The employees were nice and working hard, but the hotel needs more help and reservations need to be honored.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
KJAS94,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. I am pleased that you liked your room, however I would like to know more details about your booking so that I can review the chain of events that took place that led to you getting a room with a King Bed. Being the new General Manager at the hotel it would be extremely helpful for me to gather more details as to that and to know when you were at the property. Please email me directly at chris.jones@cabanapaloalto.com, or call me at 650-628-0124.

I appreciate your comments and taking the time to write the review. I look forward to hearing from you so that I can get more details.

Lake Havasu City, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hotel is great! Service and greeting is superb. The front desk greated me by name, and mentioned my points would be posted to my account. Pointed out the areas of the hotel, including work out room and pool.

Room Tip: Room was very clean and large. Very, very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Susan C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Cabana - Palo Alto. Excellent service is what we expect you to receive during your stay. The hotel has recently undone a multi-million dollar transformation, so I hope you had a chance to use some of the facilities during your time with us.

I am glad our team did a good job of recognizing you as IHG Rewards Club member (formerly Priority Club). Although it has a new name, it is the same great program that lets you earn and use points at all of our family of brands.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Palo Alto.

Colombo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights. First the good news ...its a rather nice hotel and is well located and clean. Services are good and the breakfast is nice. The staff are helpful and keen to respond. The shuttle service is very useful . The dining hall manager is very good as are Jordan and Joyce ...The staff are very honest and caring. We lost our mobile and a young steward found it for us ...wonderful integrity . Now for some challenges ..The start was not too good as we had booked pool facing Cabanas and they changed our rooms to the main wing ...and then tried to justify it somehow..this was not a good thing to do . The second room they gave us was a cubby hole with a small window ...but they changed it when we complained ... Jordan the manager in charge was great and made up with breakfast coupons etc . That done, I also agree with the comment that the porter service is rather tardy. The front desk staff seem rather nervous and unable to take decisions ..they keep wanting to refer to someone else ...and the GM was conspicuous by his absence !
All in all ...a good comfortable stay ...and yes ..there is room for improvement !

Room Tip: Please be careful to confirm the type of accommodation ...they tend to change it ..and rooms at the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Corinthus65,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I appreciate you letting us know how great the service was from Jordan and Joyce. I will be sure to pass along the praise to them directly!

Being the new GM at the hotel, the feedback is extremely important as we continue to strive for improvement in our efforts of delivering excellent service.

Again, thank you for taking the time for the review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Palo Alto.

Chris Jones

Been to Crowne Plaza Palo Alto? Share your experiences!