“Not impressed - poor service, lackluster in details” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Palo Alto
Los Angeles, California
“Not impressed - poor service, lackluster in details”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here for 3 days for business.
Arrived late evening - longish haul with suitcases up to hotel from parking lot. Parking lot fairly dark.
Up at the desk, the young guys were friendly enough for check in - and gave me a map to my room - my room seemed like it was in another state - not good late night, dark, tired with luggage. So, after 5 minutes of walking, half of it outside with bugs biting and dirty room service trays to dodge, ice machines & soda vending machines - I got to my room. It was noted as being a pool view room - be noted these are outside/ have outside doors like the old -style hotel/motel rooms. Makes me a bit nervous safety wise. Especially as there were also a few "characters" loitering around outside on their cell phones.

Room: Look recently renovated - nice modern feel. Appeared very clean. Very large Bathroom counter and plenty of places to keep your toiletries. Good water pressure in shower. Hair Dryer & non-lighted makeup mirror. Odd thing - the closet was in the bathroom - which I thought at first would be nice to use to get dressed. However, the bathroom door & the closet doors get all tangled up and it ended up being the worst place for a closet. you couldn't have the closet open and the bathroom door open & it was like playing Jenga with 3 doors. room had 2 queen beds, ~31 inch flat screen TV, desk area with plenty of outlets for computer. Mini Fridge under TV/in dresser area.
The room windows open - which I was excited about at first - get some fresh air. However -there are NO SCREENS! Tons of bugs in the room after one minute. As noted - it's the details! There were nice blackout curtains, as well as sheers.
Bad side: the door, as it goes right to the outside and not an interior hallway - doesn't feel secure and had gaps in it that let noise, light and bugs in. I don't expect this in a hotel that costs this much. Also there is NO room safe! This is Palo Alto - super tech town and people have a lot of gadgets - I would expect in this area, in this hotel, with this cost to provide a room safe.

Got set up in my room - and it was late - wanted to see options for room service. Searched the entire room for a menu/ hotel brochure or book -nothing. Finally called down to front desk - the front desk kept interrupting me when I was trying to explain & acted as if they didn't believe me that I didn't have a menu/ hotel book. Then proceeded to say after 10 they only had prepackaged meals - yuck. I asked then for a menu/ book to be dropped off the next day by room service - front desk said they would make a note of it. I NEVER received it, even after I called the next day too. So much for any caring service. You'd think since a guest asked, plus the fact they could've made more money with ordering room service they would have some attention to service and detail. So I can't comment on menu, food, etc.

Housekeeping: the first day was atrocious (and note I do always leave a tip for housekeeping). First day back in room - dirty glass left and not replaced, dirty towels I left on floor (per instructions) were re-folded and put back on ledge. What? Disgusting. Didn't have issues the other days.

Parking: my room was way in the back mile - and you can drive around the entire hotel , around the back, to find a spot closer. I always did find a spot closer, but it feels a bit "sketchy" as not as well lighted and much more like a motel.

Facilities: I didn't use the pool, etc. so cannot comment. I didn't see anyone at the pool while I was there , but pool area appeared clean & lots of loungers.

Area: there are a lot of restaurants, fast food places, gas stations and drug stores close by. It is on the edge of a sketchier area, but the main drag the hotel is on is good either way and has lots of options. Be aware of all the cyclists - as there are many Stanford students & teachers on bikes. Quite a few Starbucks if you need coffee in the morning - turn left out of the hotel. Also check out the little "downtown" area (to the left, about 1-2 miles away) for a lot of great restaurants. There is also Fisker, Tesla & McLaren dealerships down the road for some eye candy.

Room Tip: perhaps one inside?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Peadpod33,

Thank you so much for your feedback and recent stay with the Cabana Palo Alto. I have tried to reach you directly to work with you on your concerns without any luck in reaching you. In any case, I do appreciate the feedback and will be sure to use your examples provided as a training tool for my team. I am happy that there were some positives you encountered; friendly desk staff, room appearance adn cleanliness and the Palo Alto area all seemed to work well for you. I sincerely apologize that the trek back to the room was a long haul and that we did not assist you with your luggage. We will be sure to review with the desk team that all guests need to be offered a luggage assist at check in. Also, the poolside and lanai section of the hotel are both exterior facing in terms of the halls. However, Palo Alto is quite safe, but as a woman I can certainly understand concerns of your personal safety. I am concerned about all these issues, but am very sorry that we failed to deliver a requested item to you not once but twice. This is completely unacceptable and will be reviewed in great detail with my entire staff. I also shared your review with my entire Management team at our weekly meeting and we reviewed how we can make sure these sort of issues are resolved for all future guests. I know that my team is dedicated and will work towards making your next stay a fantastic one. Again, my sincere apology for the concerns you brought forward. We want all our guests to be completely satisfied with every stay.

Many Thanks!
andrea@cabanapaloalto.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here for a week. Stayed at the ground floor. Rooms were rather large - no complaints there. Huge comfortable beds. The bathrooms were large and spacious too. The TV wasn't too great, no room bar or complimentary water. You had to pay $5 for a bottle that was present.

Breakfast buffet - they didn't have too great a spread. At $16, I didn't think it was worth it. But inspite of it all, I was happy with the rooms and service.

Room Tip: The ground floor has tiles that rattle baggage that's rolled across it - rather noisy when peopl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear JoeDeTraveller,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with the Crowne Plaza Cabana Palo Alto. Glad to hear you enjoyed the size of the room and that the bed was nice and comfortable for you. Getting great night of rest is so important! My apologies that the TV experience was not as good for you, we are currently working on a project to convert to over to a new system and HD channels. We would like to complete this by the end of 2012 and are dedicated to find a better TV selection soon.

I'd love to hear from you on what else we can add to the morning buffet, we currently have eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, toast, bagels, cream cheese, cereals, granola, sliced fruit, yogurt, sliced meats and cheeses, french toast, oatmeal and fresh squeezed juices. Let us know what would make it a better value for you. We do set everything up every morning and everything is made fresh in house. Regarding the floor, I know that tile can be noisy, I am sorry that these two areas impacted the feeling of your stay with us. We do appreciate the feedback regarding your recent experience. If you would like to discuss further, I am available to you at the email or telephone number listed below.

Thank you!
650-628-0124
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We found the staff welcoming, the room large and clean, and the food delicious. There was a "Client appreciation" event that evening, and we were invited, but were too busy to attend.
It was all around an unexpectedly pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was my 4th hotel in 5 days, booked at the last minute on Hotwire. At this point in my trip, I just wanted clean and safe. I got much more. Chanel checked me in, and was absolutely delightful as she told me all about the features of the property. I was lucky to get an upgrade to a suite, but even without the upgrade I would rate this as an outstanding value. The staff was memorably pleasant and upbeat, the common areas bright and well appointed, and the room and furnishings were first class. Next time I'm in Palo Alto, I'll skip Hotwire and check out the CP directly.

Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is an indepent operator and they act accordingly! We were informed at check in that our room choice was not available and reminded that group bookings get "run of the house" and that moving us was not an option because they would have to move "paying customers". The room given was an outdoor corridor (ala motel 6 style) that smelled badly of smoke(an irony as I had just signed the no smoking policy). After some effort, we were given an indoor corridor room in a wing of the hotel.The second floor is not at the same elevation as the elevators in this part of the hotel so you will be traveling up and down stairs with your luggage whether you want to or not. This property advertises an evening happy hour (9-11 pm f/s)but does not honor it. For two nights, there was only one person staffing the entire bar area (running like mad), and guests were being ignored or just leaving. On the second night, they just put things away, turned out the lights, and just left leaving a number of guests without service. As two wedding had taken place there, they were basically ignored. Morning coffee in the lobby ran out before 10 so we were sent to the restaurant which had....ran out. The hotel is clean and appears to be kept in good condition but the service is lacking and they are understaffed to a fault. In a nutshell, nothing here is easy. Tollerable , but not easy. It would be better for Crowne Plaze not to have their name on this hotel and call it whatever name they would like to give it. That way, we (the paying guest) will not be under the illusion that we are staying at a company hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go. But if you must, stay away from the front of the hotel. It appears to be from another...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Wagsells,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with the Crowne Plaza Cabana in Palo Alto. I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your weekend with us during the USC game weekend. We have spoken directly and I am aware of all your concerns and assure you that I have brought all these issues up with my team here at the property. The team acknowledges that these issues were present this weekend with regards to the bar service and room availability and we take your comments and feedback very seriously. I assure you this is not the norm and we will address each concern as best we can. We will be sure to adjust the staffing levels as we move forward with large groups in house. With the high business levels in the hotels, we had very little room type availability to negotiate a room move into a 'better' location for you due to the number of groups in house. I apologize that the first room was smoky, but was happy to hear you found the facilities to be clean and well maintained once you got the other room. I am am sorry that we lacked on the service side and left you feeling like you were not taken good care of this weekend. I am certainly happy to do anything possible to try and make it up to you as we reviewed today. I appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back again in light of this weekend's issues you experienced.

Thank you!
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here and found the hotel comfortable and the staff helpful. The reception was being cleaned within an inch of its life! There was a cooler of water with fruit in the water which was lovely.

The reception staff were wearing Stanford (local team) shirts in support of a game - plus the actual team came in that same night clutching pillows after a team talk/team movie.

The receptionists were always helpful (we had a few local questions) and the waiter Marco was v nice when we had a meal in the restaurant (we were the only people there)

You do need a car to go and eat anywhere but thats the case in the USA generally. We had breakfast in a starbucks there are two on the same road. The restaurant opposite the hotel got good reviews but is being shut for a re vamp, we ate in the Crown Plaza restaurant (bit atmosphereless as we were only diners but as I said above Marco looked after us really well and the food was good) Europeans beware kitchen closes quite early.

Nice pool nice room. Something I really like a little dimmer in the bathroom so you dont need a full light on if you go to the bathroom. Also a little coffee tea maker kettle gizmo that is well designed. Little gym on the first floor (again for Europeans this is the one above reception)

Wif fi good - works in room and by pool

All in all very nice thanks and loved Palo Alto also.Would completely recommend this hotel if it fits your budget.

Room Tip: We asked for one that did not have an adjoining door. The rooms all appeared to be non smoking also.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We Found the staff the most helpful as well as Knowledgable we have seen in a Long time....The Front Desk was always smiling as well as helpful any Problem was handled Swiftly as well as NO Problem Attitude....Robert was very Helpful we wanted to move our Room we were with an other Couple so we needed to change 2 rooms.....Robert did this let us know what the rooms were & took care of everything.....(Nothing was wrong with the 1st rm...we needed to be closer to others in our group)..Nick Wcislo the Front Mngr. was also very Pleasant & Professional as well..Would Recomend this Hotel No Doubt

Room Tip: The Rooms near the Pool are Larger & more updated but Farther from the Lobby
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Barbara C,

Thank you so much for your recent stay and review of the Crowne Plaza Cabana Palo Alto. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff. I will personally thank and reward Robert and Nick for a job well done by making you feel that they were friendly and professional. We are lucky to have team members like them that make the Hotel a great place to stay. We wish to see you again soon, if we can be of service in any way, please feel free to reach out to us.

Many Thanks!
andrea@cabanapaloalto.com

Been to Crowne Plaza Palo Alto? Share your experiences!