“good for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
Toronto, Canada
“good for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The area is a little sketchy but everything else was okay. We had a room with two king size beds o it was nice and big. The bathroom, like everyone else said, has the sink outside which was kind of weird but it didn't bother me too much. Good water pressure in the shower.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Take this review with a grain of salt, if you read my other ones you'll know I normally stay in 4-5 star hotels, and it's been a while since I've stayed in a hotel like this. That said, I certainly have stayed in my share of 1-3 star hotels in my day, so I figured I was up for this.

The exterior of the hotel looks fairly modern and welcoming. When I arrived at 1:30pm I was told there is no early check-in and you can pay extra to check-in at 2pm, so I left my car to go eat lunch and come back to check-in at the normal time (3pm). Yes, even though Palo Alto is the suburbs, there are a decent amount of restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. That said, it is not really walking distance to Stanford or University Ave (about a mile or two).

The room itself was ok. Typical older style motel, with dark carpet and beddings that hide whatever nastiness it has experienced over the years. I kept my socks on and it was ok. Until I stepped in something wet near the sink. Gross. I'm assuming it was water from the cleaning people, but from that point on I moved to a "shoes on" rule.

The thing that drove me the most nuts with this hotel is the curtains. It's the style of hotel where your window is right by a public walkway, and yet it was impossible to fully close my curtains.

There is free Internet, although it got laggy, and at times it wouldn't connect, but all in all usable to get some work done. I got a good night's sleep and for the most part the room was nice and quiet. You could hear people walking past in the morning so don't plan on sleeping in (especially if your curtains don't close!).

I'll probably try another hotel next time I'm in Palo Alto, but if you get a good deal here, it's not terrible.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stay here a couple times per year due to it's Stanford campus proximity. Always clean, quiet, and the staff is friendly and accommodating. Above most Comfprt Inn's we've stayed. Breakfast is consitent, and healthy.

Room Tip: Upstairs, toward the back is quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is an older style motel. When you open your room door you are either in the parking lot or on the first floor balcony (there are 2 floors). Ask for an upper floor so that you don't have to hear the people above walking around. The walls are thin (as many of these older style hotels are) but the air con unit is loud so you won't hear a thing with that turned on.

Positives;
Fantastic high speed free WiFi. Nice and safe, both the rooms and the car felt safe there. Great mattress. Good value overall. NOt a bad location on El Camino Real within walking distance of some good restaurants (no need to drive).

Negatives;
Almost zero AT&T mobile coverage in the hotel, while this isn't the fault of the hotel it's worth me pointing it out because it sucks if you are on AT&T. I had to use Skype for all my calls. Here's the worst thing; when I arrived I spent a couple of hours walking around the room doing things and on various calls with the office etc., all barefoot, then when I went into the shower I had to wash the black off my feet. The ONLY place I could have picked up that grime would be the carpet in the room. Now, to be fair to the owners, perhaps all hotel carpets are like this, because tons of people walk on them every day with shoes on, it's just that this was the first time I ever noticed it in my many years of travelling. I wonder how often they shampoo the carpets (maybe the owner can reply).

Overall, I will stay again because I like the location and it's a nice place, but I will wear socks when walking around the room next time!

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Ok where do you stay when you have a quick business trip and all the highly rated places are full?

There is nothing to fault but it really is just a motel. The room had no cell reception and there is no convenience store in walking distance. It was old furniture and my rooms mouldy (last room right at the end).

Someone was taking their dog for a walk a couple of times during the night which is kind of weird. I am not sure if they allow pets?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Classic Motel with outside doors and balcony. Stayed 2 nights while my son was visiting Stanford for a college tour. We usually stay at Hilton properties so my standards are high. There are no Hiltons in the immediate area. I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised by this property. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast was decent. Fridge, microwave and nice flat screen TV in the room. All for about $100 per night. Only 3 miles from Stamford! I would recommend this property for anyone visiting Stamford or Palo Alto,

Room Tip: Ask for a second room floor at the back (base of the "L").
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here in June to visit friends in Palo Alto. San Fran is easily reached from here. Nice clean Hotel with Friendly staff

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Palo Alto? Share your experiences!