“Pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Strada Ristorante Italiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 313 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Florence Street
Transit: The Palo Alto Caltrain stop is just a few blocks away.
Lier, Norway
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My reading of reviews (in TA and Y--p) had led me to think there wasn't much good value on University Avenue, but we were very pleasantly surprised after stumbling across and deciding to try La Strada, which was (at that early evening time) much less busy than the other candidates we were considering.

The menu was about the right length (not too many or too few dishes), with a few tempting-looking unusual choices. The food and wine we selected were all excellent and the prices reasonable. The atmosphere was nice - warm and lively but not too noisy for a conversation and with tables well spaced. Our waitress (Christine) was great, we followed several of her thoughtful recommendations and were not disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Southern Cal
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Visited with some coworkers recently. Well, actually our CEO, not drinking buddies. The place is very comfortable, it was great to sit on the patio and watch University Ave go by.

Had sausage ravioli in a brown butter sauce. outstanding. texture was prefect, butter was not too overwhelming.

I would not hesitate to take my wife on date night, really a very reasonable nice place.

Visited April 2013
Bucharest, Romania
“Average italian food, slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

They have quite a small menu, with average italian food, but still good considering you are in US and not Italy :)
Portions are quite big, I couldn't finish my pasta plate.
The service needs some improvement, we were treated almost as being invisible, very slow and with no smile on the face.
Is a good place to eat in case you can't find anything else available.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Best calamari in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love this place. If you want a little piece of Europe in the middle of Palo Alto this is the place.
From Maria at the door with her smile to the staff inside, they will make you feel like home.
And food is awesome! You have to try the fried calamari and dip into the green sauce. And the drinks are just perfect! Enjoy!
My husband and I go there on Fridays after long week of work; it is our way to start the weekend.:)

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carmel, California
“This restaurant has some of the best food I have ever had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I checked trpadvisor for a good restaurant in Palo Alto. I didn't see this restaurant on the list. We couldn't get in to the top two restaurants so we walked into a few restaurants and settled on La Strada. Our waiter recommended the petrole sole cooked in parchment with capers olives and I think barley. It was amazing. My son had pizza with pruchetta, my husband had the pork chops and my daughter had a pasta with lamb in tomato sauce. We had two desserts to share. it was all amazing and I look forward to coming back to my new favorite restaurant in Palo Alto.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere