“Friendly staff but you expect more out of Sheraton” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   625 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301   |
Ranked #14 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Friendly staff but you expect more out of Sheraton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here from Feb 13-Feb15 2012.The check-in staff was friendly. The room was average since the walls were very thin,I guess.I could hear the noise of flushing from the next room. The Cal train which passes may disturb your sleep. The bed was nice and sleep quality was good.The in house restaurant service is good though the menu is limited.Overall this is a good business hotel though you expect more from Sheraton.

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Dobbs Ferry, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I spent 4 days in Palo Alto for business and stayed in the Sheraton. The staff couldn't have been nicer, both at the front desk, in the restaurant and poolside. It was really nice to sit out by the pool and have a glass of wine -- the grounds are very nice. Breakfast buffet was very good with omelets and waffles made to order. The restaurant ambiance could use some updating, but food was decent. I was upgraded to a junior suite, so i had plenty of space. The bathroom was fine unlike previous reviewers experience, but the room could use an update. Not a lot of electric outlets for one thing. I also had access to the fitness room, which was really crowded in the morning -- but later in the day was almost empty. Equipment is new, and in good shape. All in all I had a very nice stay and would certainly come back on my next trip.

Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I arrived at the hotel late by taxi (approximately $100 ride from SFO - the driver explained that the distance was just outside of a certain range, so the charge would be 1.5 times the charge displayed). A pool in the center of the property means that you'll be walking across the distance of the pool area, which is fairly large, and then up an elevator and down the hall to your room unless you request a room near the lobby (restaurant is near the lobby, too).

I got to my room late - 1 am or so - unpacked and settled in. When I was ready to go to sleep aroubd 2 am, I made the rounds to make sure my doors were locked and as I did, found that my sliding patio door would not lock. I called the front desk and they sent security (now it was 2:15) and the security guy on duty asked if the fact that the door wouldn't lock meant that I wanted a new room. I was a single woman with a door that was unlockable to the public pool/courtyard - not much of a choice there. So he left and I packed. He returned about 15 minutes later with a key to a new room - this one didn't have a patio door, but it did have a window which couldn't be locked shut. It was after 2:30 at this point and I had a 7 am wake-up, so I went to bed. For single travellerd, especially women, maintenance on door and window locks is very important. It's possible, I suppose, that this hotel is within the bubble of the Stanford universe and no crime happens here, but I still like to go to sleep knowing that my doors and windows can't be opened from outside.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and there is a cute coffee cart poolside in the morning where you can purchase a quick coffee and muffin or fruit to go. (Breakfast in the restaurant was as expensive as typical room service - omlette + coffee + tip > 20 dollars.)
There is free transportation to Stanford around the back of the hotel (through the parking lot to the street where you'll find a bus stop). There are many bus lines, so ask at the front desk which is best for you (front desk was very helpful). It took approximately 20 minutes on the bus to get from the Sheraton to the law school.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Pros: Location. Good Rate. Cons: Rooms need renovated; very outdated. Poor air quality. Charging guests to park seems unreasonable for this location. At very least, they should discount or comp. SPG Platinum.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Yikes. Don't stay here!

I stayed last Monday night on business (just one night), so I didn't even have to pay for my room. But what a letdown. The brand Sheraton implies a certain level of hotel...and this one falls short.

The bathroom was the worst part of the experience: the bathtub actually filled with dirty water (not just coppery-yellow). I mean, dirt stayed in the tub after I drained it...dirt that came from the pipes! So much for taking a bath. The bathroom was also tiny and the towels were thin and small.

The room itself had seen better days--needs a good remodel. The room they initially gave me had a broken television, which they told me about at check-in. I insisted that that they find me another room. The second room had a working TV but aheater that was so loud, you couldn't sleep with it on. So I woke up repeatedly in the night, heated the room, and then went back to sleep. Once the room got freezing cold, I would get up again, heat the room with the incredibly loud heater, turn it off, and then go back to sleep. What a mess.

Well, I was disappointed in this stay, but I will say that the bed was comfortable. That's the one plus at the Sheraton Palo Alto.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I've stayed at the Sheraton Palo Alto a number of times, after first staying there for a friend's wedding last year. The first time we stayed our room was near the kitchen, which was very loud at night when the staff was outside singing around 3am. We let the management know and they moved our room and also removed our room charge for the night.

Since then our stays have always been very pleasant, especially when we've opted for a room overlooking the koi pond. The hotel is conveniently located to the Stanford Mall and downtown Palo Alto, though a little tricky to get to the street from the parking lot.

My only complaint is that the beds are abnormally firm; If you're a hard bed lover, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms near the koi pond
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012 via mobile

Poorly managed hotel. Problems with my bill - twice I had to ask for an adjustment to the room rate I had booked - upon checkout the hotel tried to charge me $389 a night when the booked rate was $156. The hallways are cold damp and drafty. The rooms are small and the location is lacking at best. The parking situation and entry exit system is broken. Not what I expect in a Sheraton.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!