“Perfect for the Price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
Reno, Nevada
“Perfect for the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I've stayed at the Sheraton Palo Alto a number of times, after first staying there for a friend's wedding last year. The first time we stayed our room was near the kitchen, which was very loud at night when the staff was outside singing around 3am. We let the management know and they moved our room and also removed our room charge for the night.

Since then our stays have always been very pleasant, especially when we've opted for a room overlooking the koi pond. The hotel is conveniently located to the Stanford Mall and downtown Palo Alto, though a little tricky to get to the street from the parking lot.

My only complaint is that the beds are abnormally firm; If you're a hard bed lover, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms near the koi pond
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012 via mobile

Poorly managed hotel. Problems with my bill - twice I had to ask for an adjustment to the room rate I had booked - upon checkout the hotel tried to charge me $389 a night when the booked rate was $156. The hallways are cold damp and drafty. The rooms are small and the location is lacking at best. The parking situation and entry exit system is broken. Not what I expect in a Sheraton.

• Stayed January 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I was here for a short business trip, and found this to be a really great hotel.

Location wise, this is hard to beat - it's just next to the Caltrain station, and beyond that, downtown Palo Alto. It's also right across from Stanford University. The location alone makes this a very compelling place to stay if you're down here for business.

The rooms are standard - with TV, comfortable bed, and the usual amenities. I find this to be perfectly good - my only complain is the standard complaint against Sheratons - that they give you a coffee maker, but not a kettle to boil water.

The front desk really sets itself apart - both in terms of friendly, fuss free service, as well as their dedication to getting things done for guests. Twice I reached out to the front desk to ask for help, and both times, they were able to get it done for me without much fuss. This is really great!

Breakfast at the Poolside Grill is standard - the only gripe being a general lack of choice at the buffet.

I would totally stay here again!

Room Tip: Light sleepers should ask for rooms that don't face the train tracks.
Cambridge MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I've stayed fairly often at the Sheraton Palo Alto, since I often do work for the technology companies in the area. While it's never my first choice, it always seemed to me to offer fair price/performance, if a bit high on the price side. The only really annoying thing--and this feels petty--is that you can only drive into the parking lot if you're going north on El Camino. So if you're coming from Palo Alto, you have to turn left, go south along El Camino until you can turn around (not soon), then head back north.

So why hasn't it been my first choice? Well, it cost a lot, and they gouge you in the typical expensive hotel way--$12.95 for in-room Internet, etc.--and there was always something wrong, too. The hotel doesn't carry the New York Times; you have to go across to the Westin to get it. A light didn't work. The check-in was glacial. Whatever.

This most recent time, though, something snapped. I get there at 4:00 am Eastern time, and I have to wait while the clerk apologizes for because the TV doesn't work in the guy-in-front-of-me's room and he offers him a big discount and then, when I get to the room, my TV doesn't work either. And the wireless Internet doesn't work. And, when I complain the next day and cannily ask for a discount, I can't get a discount for the previous day because I didn't complain fast enough. (Strenuous argument rectified this, but why should I argue?)

It's silly. It's trivial. But geeminy, this just happened to be the trip when I needed Internet in the room. And all I'm doing is putzing around and calling the front desk and asking what's going on instead of just opening the computer and starting to work.

This is Silicon Valley, bubbie. Do we have to explain what the standards are? And for this, they charge $300/night (before discount). It's a pretty place, in a sterile sort of way, but I'll give it a miss from now on.

Room Tip: Don't get the Club Rooms unless you have to.
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Hard to beat the location in Palo Alto. Walking to food, shopping and of course Stanford. The staff was very friendly and my room was perfect. Very clean, new looking, new heater/air conditioning unit, great tiled bathroom and the bed was fantastic. The bar staff was very friendly and service oriented. I paid $180 per night as part of a conference so I am not comparing this to $300 per night hotels, but it is a very comfortable place in all aspects.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I was here on a business trip and the hotel is very nice. Parking is a fee, $10 for self and $15 for valet. I did self-parking and there were many options to park. They also had free internet in the business room where you can print, which was very useful since I had to print my airline tickets.
The one BIG downer was that I went to bed early and was awaken later by someone talking on the phone in the next room. I could hear the entire conversation clearly. I could hear them even walking around in the room. I am not sure if it was the room I was in as no other reviews really talked about this but it was very loud.
The location is very nice right by Stanford and the Shopping Center.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Chino Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Great location, excellent ammenties, top of the line staff

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!